FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Been A While I Know
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know it's been a while since I've posted anything here. I've been lurking publicly for a while. I finally finished college. Got my diploma in Business information systems from SIAST here. Which is similar to a university degree in CS. I'm now working full time at SaskTel (similar to Bell) except it's government owned by the provincial government.

Onto the news...

The Focus I bought brand new in 2005. Had 33km's on it.

It is now dead at just shy of 5years with 49903 kms.

The car would have been paid off in April this year. Here's some photos.

This happened just this past Friday Feb 19
[Image: front1.jpg]
[Image: side.jpg]

and the other car

[Image: othercar.jpg]

So the premise to this..

Needless to say I should have paid closer attention to the road. I had just picked up some photo's of my uncle I had printed off at the photo shop.(he passed the previous friday). I was already driving down the street, I tossed the photo's off into the passenger seat, this look away from the main road lasted to long I say. And when I brought my attention back to the road, there was a car infront of me stopped and waiting for traffic to turn left. I had very little time to react and no room in the other lane. I slammed the brakes, but with the fresh snow I just slid. The cops called it an accident, but just because wrote me a ticket for "Driving with undue care and attention" a lovely 280$ fine. Not to mention the points off my license.

I have yet to hear anything official from SGI about what they will do, but I'm almost certain it will be written off.

Aside from the damage you see on the front there, the driver airbag also blew. And let me tell you, those bitches hurt. Got it right in the chest, and it burned my new winter coat.

Thankfully, and the biggest point here, noone was injured. My neck and shoulder have been a bit sore, but other than that I'm fine.

So now with all that.

What should I be looking at for a new vehicle.
Wow man that really sucks. Glad to hear that you and the other driver are ok. As fir the new car, what do you need? The Fiesta is really nice or if you can wait the next gen Focus is going to be the long awaited Euro version.
I really can't wait a really long time. Have no vehicle atm to get to work.

And stupid me, I don't have rental coverage on my package policy. So I'm just bumming rides atm.

I'm considering a couple ideas

1) another car ex. Subaru WRX/STI I'm entertaining this idea, of either a new wrx sti or just wrx265. If I can find a non abused used(do they exist?) wrx sti in like 06/07 that'd be great. If not, prolly a new 09/10 WRX265 hatch, or the WRX Sti 09 hatch without nav. But I'll miss my moonroof.

2) a truck.. nothing huge, maybe 1/4 ton. Ford Rangers are relatively cheap. pro: can be used to pull a trailer with I donno maybe a snowmobile. and the savings from buying a wrx would buy a new sled too :)

3) an suv.. same idea as the truck, little more cabin room, little more in cost.. but can still tow..

4) my dad thinks I should get a stang. Nice idea, but lacking in feasibility. Has small cargo room s***ty mileage, and like no back seat for an adult.
If you want to stay in the Ford "family" and you can swing it a Fusion wouldn't be a bad choice ;)

The previous gen's better engine tranny combo was the V6/ATX but with the 2010 reworking the 4cyl/MTX has become a great alternative if you want to row your own and save gas as well.

Besides, do work on a Fusion and you'll definitely be a rare cat in your neck of the woods.

The Fusion also has the AWD availability (V6/ATX) which can be a great help when the weather gets nasty (at the cost of fuel/weight)

NefCanuck
first of all I'm glad that you came out un-hurt

Second, I'm really scared of drivers like you.

Now to the point
Love your first choice.
'05 Sti(penut headlights) and '06STi (hawkeye) are the best ones out there.

The new wrx 265 is not bad as well (has STi turbo) but if you will do some heavy modding I'd strongly sujest Sti with it's unbreakable 6 speed tranny.
I have to warn you though, STi's are NO gas saver type of a car. But if you stay out of boost shouldn't be too bad. You will love the car hands down.
NikiterZTS,Feb 22 2010, 06:29 AM Wrote:<SNIP>

</SNIP>
[right][snapback]301860[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the first point me too.

Secondly I take offense to that.

First at fault accident in over 10 years.

I only glanced down because the road ahead "was" clear, this is also in a more industrial area. There's a train unloading yard right to the left of the photos there facing my car. So there's pretty much nil chance of pedestrians crossing the street.

I made a mistake and f***ed up.. s*** happens. I'm glad no one was injured. Which means live and learn.
That guy in the mini must have been pissed. He never got to get his Drink on that day...
Well, first thing remember "don't shoot the messenger".

"Driving with indue care" is = "careless driving" and is the fine plus SIX points. Hopefully you didn't admit to the cop or the other driver that you weren't paying attention -- you could fight it and get it reduced to "following too closely" and only 3-4 points. If you're planning to defend it for pete's sake get this thread locked down and removed.

Now, I'm sure how old you are or what your insurance rates are now generally speaking your primary factor in obtaining a new ride is going to be how badly your insurace company is going to make you grab your ankles. Now IIRC you may have a provincial insurance, but be sure to inquire ahead as to what your premium will be before you pull the trigger on something new, or fast.
Too bad, I was in an accident earlier this month, but I wasn't at fault...

If you're thinking wrx, 265 or sti, get 05/06 sti, don't get an 07 as they have known motor problems (lean out). I wouldn't bother with a regular wrx, it's not worth it and you'll always be playing catchup to the sti's if you start modding it.
what is SGI? what about your insurance company, how are they handling it? and which one are you with?
roast,Feb 22 2010, 07:27 PM Wrote:Too bad, I was in an accident earlier this month, but I wasn't at fault...

If you're thinking wrx, 265 or sti, get 05/06 sti, don't get an 07 as they have known motor problems (lean out). I wouldn't bother with a regular wrx, it's not worth it and you'll always be playing catchup to the sti's if you start modding it.
[right][snapback]301922[/snapback][/right]

This.

My buddy's '07 STi was the biggest lemon.
Phantom,Feb 22 2010, 08:23 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Feb 22 2010, 06:29 AM Wrote:<SNIP>

</SNIP>
[right][snapback]301860[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the first point me too.

Secondly I take offense to that.

First at fault accident in over 10 years.

I only glanced down because the road ahead "was" clear, this is also in a more industrial area. There's a train unloading yard right to the left of the photos there facing my car. So there's pretty much nil chance of pedestrians crossing the street.

I made a mistake and f***ed up.. s*** happens. I'm glad no one was injured. Which means live and learn.
[right][snapback]301862[/snapback][/right]

you put just under 50k on your Focus in 5 years......so thats like 10K/year........
whatever you put in 5 years almost do in 1
don't get all angry, could be just your lack of driving thats all

p.s. i'd write that car off for sure.

check toronto-subaru-club.com in their classifieds but to be honest i would go down south
SGI is our insurance company.

No the ticket will cost my 4 points against my license. We have a safe driver program, I was at +10 which gave me a 20% discount on insurance. This accident (-6) and the ticket(-4) will put me at zero. No additional fines.

I already can tell you what my insurance will be for any new vehicle.

here's a link to their rate calculator
http://www.sgi.sk.ca/rates/rate_calc.htm

and the safe driver example of an accident on points
http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/vehicle_insur...le_example1.htm

"Drivers lose points for unsafe driving – such as being at fault for a collision (-6 points) or certain traffic convictions and roadside suspensions (-3 or -4 points)."

And yes. I haven't heard anything back from them yet as to my car, but I checked their online search tonight for vehicle damages in SK. And it already has my car's dmg listed with 14k in appraised repairs. So yeah it's a write off.

And Nikitter I'm not mad, and I do agree, but with my mileage you can't actually average it out. in 2007 the car had 15000 km's. It was in the last 2yrs I put on most of my mileage. Constant driving on highway and city, through both winters extremes and summer.

As to the wrx comment..

No love for the 2009/10 Subaru WRX265?

From what I've been reading it's just as fast 0-60 as the STI is.

Went to ford dealership today. They are gonna let me take Fusion with AWD out for a while and bring it back in a couple days to see how I like that.
Sorry about your car, I have the exact same car as you.

While the WRX/STi are nice cars, the insurance on them is ridiculous, at least in Ontario. Too many people who think they can drive fast get their hands on them. They are called WR-ECKS for a reason.
Lowe9,Feb 28 2010, 08:40 AM Wrote:Sorry about your car, I have the exact same car as you.

While the WRX/STi are nice cars, the insurance on them is ridiculous, at least in Ontario. Too many people who think they can drive fast get their hands on them. They are called WR-ECKS for a reason.
[right][snapback]302333[/snapback][/right]

Not entirely true. My insuarence on '06 WRX is cheaper then it was on my '02 Focus ZTS.
When I asked then "How come?" They said that Focus's ain't that safe of a car.

OP
yes WRX 265 is a bit quicker in the straight line but believe me you WILL get more fun in the STi. There's nothing like a feeling when you drop your RPM's from 6K. Can't do that in the 5 speed :unsure:

I know a girl down in Kitchener who just got 6 speed swap done in her's sedan wrx 265 and it cost her a pretty penny.
Basicly it comes down to that STi is a better platform.
The reason it was higher was not cus of the car, it was cus of the driver.
paolo,Feb 28 2010, 02:51 PM Wrote:The reason it was higher was not cus of the car, it was cus of the driver.
[right][snapback]302358[/snapback][/right]

I'm 23, licenced since my 16th birthday, no claims, no accidents, one ticket for 60km in a 50km zone, and pay $1400 a year on my 2005 ZX3, I was quoted $2800-4500 for 2002-2003 WRXs.

I know there is a discount when I reach the magical 25, but the WRX is an expensive car to insure regardless.
Lowe9,Mar 1 2010, 03:57 PM Wrote:
paolo,Feb 28 2010, 02:51 PM Wrote:The reason it was higher was not cus of the car, it was cus of the driver.
[right][snapback]302358[/snapback][/right]

I'm 23, licenced since my 16th birthday, no claims, no accidents, one ticket for 60km in a 50km zone, and pay $1400 a year on my 2005 ZX3, I was quoted $2800-4500 for 2002-2003 WRXs.

I know there is a discount when I reach the magical 25, but the WRX is an expensive car to insure regardless.
[right][snapback]302466[/snapback][/right]

Wow you're insuarence company kinda sucks :lol:
get lots of quotes........

i was quoted any where from 200-800 a month on a new focus s.

and like 180-500 on my svt

and im 21 with 2 speeding tickets and didn't have a G when i was quoted
Jmountney1,Mar 1 2010, 09:12 PM Wrote:get lots of quotes........

i was quoted any where from 200-800 a month on a new focus s.

and like 180-500 on my svt

and im 21 with 2 speeding tickets and didn't have a G when i was quoted
[right][snapback]302492[/snapback][/right]

He doesn't have a choice as to where he gets insurance from SGI is the only option. The province runs the car insurance system, just like BC with ICBC.
Pages: 1 2