FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: This Is Why You Don't Swerve For Small Animals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It sounds cruel, but it's true:

[Image: th_MikesFocus.jpg]

Apparently it was a raccoon the size of a small dog. Time was 2AM Sunday, location was north of Orillia on Hwy 11 N.

A buddy of mine managed to miss the raccoon but take out the guardrail. Now he's trying to decide what to get next. :(

My rule of thumb is that if it's not a moose or a deer, I'll try to avoid it but I'm not taking a guardrail for it.

He didn't get charged thankfully and he's not very banged up at all. Chalk another one up for the crashworthiness of the Focus.
Couldnt agree with you more Adam...a local OPP officer was in a 3 year coma trying to avoid hitting a racoon here!
That really sucks!
Thats my rule of thumb too, you swerve and you will loose control. Well at least he is ok, man these Focus cars are built well.

02ztsian

I was following two cars full of kids yesterday; they were weaving lane to lane, leaning out of the sunroof and yelling at each other. Buddy hanging out of the sunroof lost his gangsta cap and I made a point of running it over. No sense in losing control......
Good stuff Ian, I hate s*** like that.
If it's not big enough to come up and into the windshield... Straight on through we go.
I think more importantly...insurance calls any accident where you did NOT hit the animal an 'at fault' accident which affects your rates. You are better off financially to hit the deer than swerve to miss it and take the ditch. If you hit it (or actually you must state that it hit you) it is not an 'at fault' accident.