FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Canadian Warplane Museum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well over the weekend and I went to the Canadian Warplane Museum and it was definitely a lot better then I thought it would be. From the outside the hanger looks small but once your inside its huge. There were a few planes that you can actually sit in as well, I think it was definitely worth the $10 admission.

[Image: tmpphpDWJEmB.jpg]

[Image: tmpphpE3W8Ug.jpg]

[Image: tmpphpHpMl9A.jpg]

[Image: tmpphpKDL6Ew.jpg]

[Image: tmpphpRxMt93.jpg]

[Image: tmpphpjMLvhb.jpg]
Fantastic ... great shots, thanks ... that Lancaster is even more impressive when you consider that it's in flying condition - and that Hawker Sea Fury is magnificent ...

But what's the deal with the Dash 7 - that must be a model or something, the size doesn't look right next to the Lanc
ZTWsquared,Aug 13 2008, 10:31 PM Wrote:Fantastic ... great shots, thanks ... that Lancaster is even more impressive when you consider that it's in flying condition - and that Hawker Sea Fury is magnificent ...

But what's the deal with the Dash 7 - that must be a model or something, the size doesn't look right next to the Lanc
[right][snapback]270373[/snapback][/right]

When I moved here 10 years ago I lived about 5km from the museum, I didnt now those planes still flew until they flew over my house one day, its an awsome site. As for the Dash 7, Its not a model (white plane on the right) Im still learning how to take pics inside (probably the wrong photo mode)

Its really cool that they still fly these planes and all of the guides there are filled with info on these planes too.
Where is the Museum? I wouldn't mind taking a run out there one weekend. How long were you there? Did it have a nice selection of planes? Nice shots BTW.
I was there when I was in grade 7 so I'm 22 now, it is not impressive outside but it is a very nice place to visit.
Nice place, been there a couple of times. Air Canada management took us out for a field day @ the Museum when we were in town, helping out new trainees on our Jazz planes, dash-8's, Canadair Regionals (CRJ's). This is an overlooked treasure, and more people should go out and view the "History".

Plus the guilty pleasure I love planes lol, mind you I work around them ALL day lol!

[Image: n797755051_118945_9809.jpg]

Boeing 767-200, now being discontinued from Air Canada's fleet, making room for our 777's and somewhere down the road 787 Dreamliners.
[Image: n797755051_116773_6575.jpg]

[Image: n797755051_116771_5875.jpg]

Focus man, Focus.,Aug 13 2008, 11:39 PM Wrote:Where is the Museum?  I wouldn't mind taking a run out there one weekend.  How long were you there?  Did it have a nice selection of planes?  Nice shots BTW.
[right][snapback]270378[/snapback][/right]

The museum is beside the Hamilton International airport, 403 brantford exit just after Ancaster and follow the signs. I would say its about 30-45min from Oakville. They have a good webpage as well with directions, its also kid friendly. :D
I was there for about 3-4 hours, they have a great selection of planes, B-26, the Lancaster , PBY (my fav), spitfire, etc. I would guess that they have over 50 planes. They neet thing is you can watch them restore some of the planes, the knowlwdge of the volunteers is amazing, I think most are retired service men.
you should go to the remberence day there AWESOME thye fly the lancaster and bag pipers a really good reminder . Ya that place is a un heard of glisp of the past
I allways wanted to go there but never got the chance... i got to go to one in tampa florida it was called Fantasy of Flight and we actually got lucky because some of the members of the Tuskegee Air men were there and they flew a spit fire around so it was pretty awesome...

But i gotta check out the one in Hamilton..
We should make the trip a GTG. I wonder if they offer a group discount? Might make a good cruise and photo opp. What do the other members think?

I just e-mailed them regarding a group tour. I will post up what I find out.
Great place. Been there many times...almost every Fathers Day. My dad is a member and flew the Lanc in WW2 for the RAF. That Lanc they have is one of only two in the world that still flys.

http://www.warplane.com/index.html
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 14 2008, 08:55 AM Wrote:We should make the trip a GTG.  I wonder if they offer a group discount?  Might make a good cruise and photo opp.  What do the other members think?

I just e-mailed them regarding a group tour.  I will post up what I find out.
[right][snapback]270391[/snapback][/right]

I think that would be a good idea, do a cruise from Toronto to the museum!
I can't remember if I shared my dad's story on here. It helps put a little personal touch on the airplanes.

http://matt.mkenn2.googlepages.com/home
Sounds good kev, any time but sept 7 Jens B-day. Also not the 14th of Sept either company golf turnament.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 14 2008, 08:55 AM Wrote:We should make the trip a GTG.  I wonder if they offer a group discount?  Might make a good cruise and photo opp.  What do the other members think?

I just e-mailed them regarding a group tour.  I will post up what I find out.
[right][snapback]270391[/snapback][/right]
Another Good Idea, closer to October might be an idea
Well this is what I heard back from the Museum.
Quote:Hello Kevin:

The hours of operation for the museum are 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily.  If you book a group tour the cost is $8.00 each and that is your admission into the museum and a guided tour of the facility with our tour guides which would take approximately 1-11/2 hours depending on the questions you would have.  Once your tour is complete you are more than welcome to spend the entire day here if you wish.  If you should have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me either by email or at 905-679-4183 ext 229.

Thank you,

Toni McFarlane
Tour Co-Ordinator

I am thinking if this is acceptable by the majority, we could set up a Fall Colours Cruise with a stop over at the museum. I am sure there would be some great photo opp spots on or around the mountian. What do you guys think? I think this would be a great event!!!
Well I don't own a focus anymore but I'd be interested in this. Especially considering its only like 15 min from my house and I've never been.
habmann,Aug 15 2008, 12:58 PM Wrote:Well I don't own a focus anymore but I'd be interested in this. Especially considering its only like 15 min from my house and I've never been.
[right][snapback]270483[/snapback][/right]

Thats Great. That mean you would be able to direct us to a good photo opp spot for a few group shots and places for some individual shots. I will see what the consenses is for a time frame for holding an event like this.

I may have to start a new thread to get everyones attention. :D
Well set it up buddy.
Well the only weekend That is good for me in October is the weekend of the 25th/26th. I have the little one during the 4th/5th and 18th/19th and Thanksgiving is the weekend of the 11th. So if that sounds good I will hook it up. Other than that We can do it on Sept. 13th/14th. My schedule is kind of full in the next couple months. LOL

I guess I will start a thread.
Pages: 1 2