FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: For Those Of You Who Were Hired By Ford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In July 2008 Ford hired a few guys on here for jobs on the third shift and then consequently fired your asses before you even started.

Anyway, guess what.

There's a huge law suit that's been filed(class action) on your behalf and unless you opt out beforehand, you are automatically included in the law suit.

My suggestion? If you ever want that job at Ford, opt out or you'll never get hired. If you don't give a s***, take the $$$(If any) and run.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnis...279596-sun.html

http://www.classactionlaw.ca/content/cla...d/Ford.htm
Pretty sad.
How much money would they get if they do win?
If you're about to retire, what do you got to lose. Otherwise, I don't think I'd like to be blackballed either. Tough Call.
meford4u,Feb 20 2010, 02:38 PM Wrote:In July 2008 Ford hired a few guys on here for jobs on the third shift and then consequently fired your asses before you even started.

Anyway, guess what.

There's a huge law suit that's been filed(class action) on your behalf and unless you opt out beforehand, you are automatically included in the law suit.

My suggestion?  If you ever want that job at Ford, opt out or you'll never get hired.  If you don't give a s***, take the $$$(If any) and run.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnis...279596-sun.html

http://www.classactionlaw.ca/content/cla...d/Ford.htm
[right][snapback]301775[/snapback][/right]

Before opting out you may also want to assess just how likely, or unlikely, it is that Ford will actually add to the workforce here in Canada - say in the next ten years or so - my bet is that they won't - what say you Bryan?
Not likely in the near future ... BUT on the other hand there is a chance that the suit may fail, in which case you will not get anything either. And even if you were to get anything it may not be much; do bear in mind that as much as it was a raw deal that Ford could have let you go without cause on Day 1 Hour 1 of your employment. When I started Ford I had to quit my job of two years to go to the orientation (not even to get hired!) had I not been picked up (they were not obligated to) I'd have been screwed, too. But I figured that you have to take some risk in order to reap some reward.

So... everyone will have to decide for themselves. I will be letting the person I "got in" know about the suit, too. If it were me I'm not sure what I'd do, but it's good to have a heads up of what you're getting yourself into. Ford could turn around and hire next week, month or never.
I think you will see Ford hiring in the next 18 months to add the third shift.

Why? They have to make room for the closing of St. Thomas and the people affected and transferring to Oakville. There are abour 250 on layoff(Windsor people mostly) and they expect 4-600 from St. Thomas. Knowing it takes about 1100 for a new shift, they will be hiring IMO.

But who the fawk knows.
This is one of those things where you have to weigh risk vs. reward.

Will Ford ever hire for a third shift at Oakville? This depends on the vagueness of a market that can (and has) turned on a dime pretty much for no reason at all related to the industry.

Given that there are also likely many people on the recall list ahead of the shafted hires as well, I can't see much downside risk to proceeding with joining the class action lawsuit. It isn't like those people stood a reasonable chance of actually getting hired in the immediate future anyways...

NefCanuck
Yeah i recieved my OPT-out letter on thursday.....

Not sure what i am going to do.... I'd much rather have the opportunity of work vs. what ever the settlement may be, as all i really lost was the difference in wages

All depends on what happens with my current job, as GM is getting really cut throat with it's suppliers and our contract is up for bid and i could be out of another job (this one of 12 years)
If any of those peeps are still looking for a job, there are pleanty of jobs in the IT Sector for you.
My Opinion : OPT OUT!

To be honest, class action suits get nothing for the people involved in them.

The problem with class action lawsuits is that you have a lot of people going for sum of money. If you win the suit, and once the lawyers get their share, the rest, split over the number of people in the suit means you get very little of the actual settlement.

And if Ford settles, chances are it's even less than if the suit went through, which means you get even less money. And you don't exactly get a say in the matter either.

I was included in a class action lawsuit once. I got $5 at the end of it... that's not much of a win.

If you have a beef with a company and want renumeration, file your own suit. The only people who seem to win in a class action of these types tend to be the lawyers.
Well i've decided to OPT-OUT

I'm hoping it will pay off in the long term, rather than count on a short term pay off.

On a side note..... my local CAW has decided to take on GM

Keep an eye on the news, if it comes down to it we will be shutting down the Oshawa Camaro Line with a wildcat walkout as GM has awarded our current (union) jobs to an American company which will be hiring Temp agency workers
SL8RZZX3,Mar 3 2010, 09:14 PM Wrote:Keep an eye on the news, if it comes down to it we will be shutting down the Oshawa Camaro Line with a wildcat walkout as GM has awarded our current (union) jobs to an American company which will be hiring Temp agency workers
[right][snapback]302702[/snapback][/right]
Thats s***ty, my job was supposed to be sent to india at the end of December, but they are having all sorts of issues with the move....they already outsourced the development teams, and its not going good at all, so now they are holding sending the QA team over there for the moment until they figure out this crap. :rolleyes:
Flofocus,Mar 10 2010, 03:20 PM Wrote:
SL8RZZX3,Mar 3 2010, 09:14 PM Wrote:Keep an eye on the news, if it comes down to it we will be shutting down the Oshawa Camaro Line with a wildcat walkout as GM has awarded our current (union) jobs to an American company which will be hiring Temp agency workers
[right][snapback]302702[/snapback][/right]
Thats s***ty, my job was supposed to be sent to india at the end of December, but they are having all sorts of issues with the move....they already outsourced the development teams, and its not going good at all, so now they are holding sending the QA team over there for the moment until they figure out this crap. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]303062[/snapback][/right]

Just move to India Nate. B)
and get paid $6/hour?

No thanks.
Flofocus,Mar 10 2010, 03:47 PM Wrote:and get paid $6/hour?

No thanks.
[right][snapback]303066[/snapback][/right]

more like $2
NikiterZTS,Mar 10 2010, 06:19 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Mar 10 2010, 03:47 PM Wrote:and get paid $6/hour?

No thanks.
[right][snapback]303066[/snapback][/right]

more like $2
[right][snapback]303080[/snapback][/right]
But the good news is that a bicycle is only $40
...and will fall apart in 1 week.
Flofocus,Mar 12 2010, 08:38 AM Wrote:...and will fall apart in 1 week.
[right][snapback]303218[/snapback][/right]

get a Tata motors car :D