FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Do You Think This Is A Good Price?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since i don't have time for anything exept work, i asked a couple of the local mechanics of how much would a straight swap cost me for labour.

One guy gave me a price of $500 with me supplying him the the engine......i think its pretty good eh...

last time i found an engine with 31K for $280 out of the door....
Plus i found a pretty good turbo kit for a nice price.....I have a feeling im gonna keep this beast :)
I'd say that's relatively good.

Just to give you a comparison, it took about 2 hours to unbolt a 3.8Lv6 outta my dad's Bonneville and about 3 to put her back in. 2 men x 5hrs x 75.00 per hour = 750.00.

We would have taken 2 hours or even less on the re-install if we had a hoist and someone didn't forget to put in the transmission lines... :rolleyes:

Quote of the day "Dad, your car's bleeding."
I just did it in one of my Focus , it's pretty straight foward.
If you don't mind having some downtime on your car I'd say do it yourself and keep the $500.00.
It was my 1st time doing that and it was pretty easy.

Hmmm...now there's an idea...a swap.

Is it still fairly easy to get good SPI engines, even a rebuild? Or would I be better off crossing over to Zetec or whatever?

Might be the best thing for me to do soon.
mpcv2000,Jul 19 2008, 09:14 AM Wrote:I just did it in one of my Focus , it's pretty straight foward.
If you don't mind having some downtime on your car I'd say do it yourself and keep the $500.00.
It was my 1st time doing that and it was pretty easy.
[right][snapback]269029[/snapback][/right]

that's the thing....i have no time.....im always gone to work sites (nuke plants)
plus i know you have 2 cars so that makes it easier for ya :lol:
i need this car everyday.....i guess this has to be done on one of the weekends that im not working :blink:
You are switching for another Zetec motor or something else ?

What's up with yours right now ? I am not up to date XD
i wanna switch from Zetec to another Zetec :)

the current engine has 234K on it
NikiterZTS,Jul 19 2008, 05:39 PM Wrote:....plus i know you have 2 cars so that makes it easier for ya :lol:
[right][snapback]269043[/snapback][/right]

Now 3 + 2 bikes... :P
whats the 3rd car and what kind of bikes?

give me one of something man!!
Oh...that makes sense. Where would you get a motor that cheap ? Junk yard ? I briefly took a look and the cheapest is around 300-400 $ and i don't even know the km on it.
yea junk yards.......www.car-parts.com
NikiterZTS,Jul 19 2008, 09:59 PM Wrote:whats the 3rd car and what kind of bikes?
[right][snapback]269055[/snapback][/right]

I bought a 1997 F150 xtra cab .

[Image: 237969.jpg]

....XR100R for the girl friend with riding gear etc.

[Image: 244126.jpg]

...and a XR400R for me..... :)

[Image: 244387.jpg]

well wow......u got all the toys........i should start buyins stuff like that next year
sell your car, buy my car.
Flofocus,Jul 21 2008, 08:22 AM Wrote:sell your car, buy my car.
[right][snapback]269079[/snapback][/right]

yeah i know....but its just, it would never feel like its MY car
Just look at the ownerships for satisfaction.
lol good point but yaa id say thats a wicked price for a swap but what i would do is pick up a motor and throw it in ur garange and keep it till u blow up yours or hit 300km and then put that motor on display because its special
ZX3_2NV,Jul 22 2008, 09:39 AM Wrote:lol good point but yaa id say thats a wicked price for a swap but what i would do is pick up a motor and throw it in ur garange and keep it till u blow up yours or hit 300km and then put that motor on display because its special
[right][snapback]269156[/snapback][/right]

that is neat idea for displaying blown motor.

don't you need ecu as well or just engine can be replaced??
ZX3_2NV,Jul 22 2008, 11:39 AM Wrote:lol good point but yaa id say thats a wicked price for a swap but what i would do is pick up a motor and throw it in ur garange and keep it till u blow up yours or hit 300km and then put that motor on display because its special
[right][snapback]269156[/snapback][/right]

but i wanna go turbo....i don't wanna install turbo on 234k engine....unless you wanna install the kit for me every time :P
so don't go boost yet just start putting together some parts for the project
Pages: 1 2