FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Flex Road Test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Saw a black Flex yesterday in NB, plated and rollin'. I have to admit: if I had the need for zero off-road capability, it appeals to me. They're really sharp. I didn't think the fuel economy would be that much worse than the Escape, tho. :(
sorry all i meant a used Cadi....im not a big person on buying brand new cars anyway
I don't know where ur getting these prices from because on the 1st link it says:
Pricing for Flex is also a little on the premium side, starting at $28,995 for the SE model. The mid-level SEL starts at $32,770, while the Limited's base sticker reads $35,405. All-wheel drive, available on the top two models only, adds $1,850.

even in US $$ thats still under $40 G's
The ones that are in the $40s are the upper level ones with the really expensive options on them -- glass roof, GPS, DVD entertainment system, etc.

Because the showroom models are a lot of high end, the impression people get is that they're all that expensive.

If anyone has ever looked at a model house, the builders put a crapload of upgrades in -- granite counters, hardwood floors, etc. so that people come in and go, "Wow, I want one just like it." Only after you sit down with the sales person do you find out that granite and hardwood is extra.

One of the model homes on my street, we were interested in because it was "starting at" $340G. What they didn't say was that was the "base price". With the upgrades, it was listed at $425G
I kinda like it, not as much as the Edge but its a step in the right direction for Ford design.
I saw in the brochure for the Flex, that you can have it customized with dealer installed parts when you buy it...the one in the catalogue had optional 20 or 22" rims, graphite roof, a different brushed metal fascia on the liftgate, skirt package, and some other stuff, right from the factory/dealership...looked half decent overall...but man, it's a BIG car...

I'm waiting to see if Pontiac releases the G8 GT Wagon...might be buying one of them in the future, unless I found an awesome deal on the MKS or a slightly used MKZ AWD....

L8tz
Drivesthebeast,Jul 28 2008, 10:33 AM Wrote:I saw in the brochure for the Flex, that you can have it customized with dealer installed parts when you buy it...the one in the catalogue had optional 20 or 22" rims, graphite roof, a different brushed metal fascia on the liftgate, skirt package, and some other stuff, right from the factory/dealership...looked half decent overall...but man, it's a BIG car...

I'm waiting to see if Pontiac releases the G8 GT Wagon...might be buying one of them in the future, unless I found an awesome deal on the MKS or a slightly used MKZ AWD....

L8tz
[right][snapback]269497[/snapback][/right]
Make sure it doesn't have the CVT trany in it or you will be sorry like my dad is for the Fivehoundread.

02ztsian

OK I'm dredging up this old thread because we are seriously considering purchasing one. We are going to arrange a weekend test drive to see how we as a family "fit" the Flex.
Anyone know about the sales of the Flex-I heard they were soft and are not selling as expected. Source-
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-flex-sale...n-expected.html
Anyone here connected with Ford able to confirm? And how flexible on price should I expect Ford to be? I don't want to go in and start lowballing but some idea of what kind of movement I can expect will help me out!
My parents has a Five Hundread 2005, Close to $45,000 (limited edition)
We had as many discounts as we could get on it too, the car only has the 3.0L in the new ones you get the 3.5L (more money more fuel)
Great car excellent room and the same as the flex but it has a trunk instead of a hatch.
Only prob we had was the rear clalipers hung up all the time (about 4 times after having all rear brake parts replaced by ford) and we found out about the CVT tranny at 100K ( get rid of it.)
So its and great car but if it has the CVT trany in her then toss it back before 100K. Search it up something to do with a metal valve that needs to be replaced with a rubber valve, then after every 20K that rubber one needs to be replaced with another rubber one as well.
Smooth driving (can take a Caddy CTS no prob lol friends dad so pissed lol)
02ztsian,Oct 16 2008, 01:47 PM Wrote:OK I'm dredging up this old thread because we are seriously considering purchasing one. We are going to arrange a weekend test drive to see how we as a family "fit" the Flex.
Anyone know about the sales of the Flex-I heard they were soft and are not selling as expected. Source-
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-flex-sale...n-expected.html
Anyone here connected with Ford able to confirm? And how flexible on price should I expect Ford to be? I don't want to go in and start lowballing but some idea of what kind of movement I can expect will help me out!
[right][snapback]274718[/snapback][/right]
I don't know what the above poster is all about, you mean the Flex, right?

Sales suck, but we have cut back production. I don't believe there are any sales incentives on the Flex right now, but wait until the end of November as new incentives will be announced as early as Nov. 15th.

I would suggest you get a two tone(additional $1200 I think) as the unit is clear coated twice. Better paint lustre, adhesion and gloss. I can't believe it's only $1200. It costs Ford $1000 every time a unit runs through a paint booth.

Also, there are several of us(Ford employees) on here that can pass on additional discounts to you. A phone call or an email is all it takes and you save approx. 7-8% off the retail. But go and try and get the best deal first, and then get in touch with one of us and we will hook you up with the additional discounts. It's easy and no sweat off our backs.

Ya I was talking about the Flex same dam car as the Five Hundread or the cheaped out name Taurus. Also don't get white you'll see all of the Fall out in the paint after a couple of weeks then it will need to be compounded out once a year.

02ztsian

I never would have known that about the two tone paint option. Good to know!
And as far as the additional discounts I must say thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. Now to decide-do I wait until November or see how flexible they are on the price right now. And decide to sell our T&C privately or see what they will give us on trade. I hear rumours around these parts that dealers won't even accept certain vehicles on trade as they can't sell them.
02ztsian,Oct 17 2008, 08:19 AM Wrote:I never would have known that about the two tone paint option. Good to know!
And as far as the additional discounts I must say thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. Now to decide-do I wait until November or see how flexible they are on the price right now. And decide to sell our T&C privately or see what they will give us on trade. I hear rumours around these parts that dealers won't even accept certain vehicles on trade as they can't sell them.
[right][snapback]274770[/snapback][/right]

Wait for a vehicle built after Dec 1 / 08 (Job 2) as it will have SYNC v2 (std on Limited, optional on SEL) ... the only trannny is the 6-spd auto.

Things to remember:
Block heater is not standard - must be ordered as an option

Flex has excellent trailer towing capacity and the optional towing pkg includes Class III hitch, 7-pin plug and oil cooler amd is only 500 at retail.

Current Ford incentives include 2500 delivery allowance (think cash back) and reasonable finance rates ... lease rates aren't great, but the residuals are pretty strong for this time of year (7 pts higher than Taurux X) ... so a lease payment should be pretty good relatively speaking.

If you factory ordera car, Ford has the Raincheck program - basically you get to choose the incentives you want ... either from the time you ordered or from the time you take delivery of the car.

Eg: I ordered an 09 Fusion for my wife in September when the incentives were good ... if they happen to be even better in November when we take delivery, Ford will re-write the deal accordingly.

02ztsian

ZTWsquared,Oct 17 2008, 06:57 AM Wrote:Wait for a vehicle built after Dec 1 / 08 (Job 2) as it will have SYNC v2 (std on Limited, optional on SEL) ... the only trannny is the 6-spd auto.

Things to remember:
Block heater is not standard - must be ordered as an option

Flex has excellent trailer towing capacity and the optional towing pkg includes Class III hitch, 7-pin plug and oil cooler amd is only 500 at retail.

Current Ford incentives include 2500 delivery allowance (think cash back) and reasonable finance rates ... lease rates aren't great, but the residuals are pretty strong for this time of year (7 pts higher than Taurux X) ... so a lease payment should be pretty good relatively speaking.

If you factory ordera car, Ford has the Raincheck program - basically you get to choose the incentives you want ... either from the time you ordered or from the time you take delivery of the car.

Eg: I ordered an 09 Fusion for my wife in September when the incentives were good ... if they happen to be even better in November when we take delivery, Ford will re-write the deal accordingly.
[right][snapback]274772[/snapback][/right]

Any links on the $2500 delivery incentive?
And FWIW we are looking at two or three from dealer stock. Two red SELs, vista roof, black leather around $40K and a full-load black on black with silver roof Limited with 20" rims for ab. $55K. OK the LTD is a dream...
02ztsian,Oct 17 2008, 09:41 AM Wrote:Any links on the $2500 delivery incentive?
And FWIW we are looking at two or three from dealer stock. Two red SELs, vista roof, black leather around $40K and a full-load black on black with silver roof Limited with 20" rims for ab. $55K. OK the LTD is a dream...
[right][snapback]274778[/snapback][/right]

Go to Ford.ca ... there's a couple of ways to see it ... check out the incentives or do a "Build & Price" on a flex and the 2500 shows up in the financial summary.

02ztsian

Thanks for that! I have built one several times but never noticed the allowance. Time to see if it's on the window sticker.
02ztsian,Oct 17 2008, 10:45 AM Wrote:Thanks for that! I have built one several times but never noticed the allowance. Time to see if it's on the window sticker.
[right][snapback]274785[/snapback][/right]

As a marketing incentive it won't be on the window sticker ... the dealer should have told you about it, and it should appear on the RBA (retail buyers agreement) ... and you should still be eligible for it even if you take advantage of Meford's offer of the friends and family program.

02ztsian

Well, we took the plunge! There is a red SEL AWD Flex currently sitting in my driveway. Black leather, vista roof, Sync. Nice ride! Anyway I will post pics once the dealer cleans it up-we are going back on Monday for the final cleaning and to go over the final details.
A big shout out to meford4u-Bryan was a big help! Thanks for helping me out!
My first brand new car-only 16 km on it! I am stoked! Time now for some seat time!
Congratulations!!!

And your welcome. It was nothing really.

Thanks for supporting those of us at Ford of Canada. Enjoy your new toy.
02ztsian,Oct 17 2008, 07:19 AM Wrote:I hear rumours around these parts that dealers won't even accept certain vehicles on trade as they can't sell them.
[right][snapback]274770[/snapback][/right]

Yes, this is VERY true. Malia and I took 6+ months to find a dealership even willing to take my last car on a trade. Campbell Ford was the ONLY acutal automotive dealership that was interested in a 2005 Mustang GT Premium to trade on an Escape. I couldn't understand it, the car was black on black leathers, dealer installed tint, 5spd, optional wheels, optional interior, and a partial aftermarket Infinity stereo installed. It was late spring, and I had the car detailed a LOT, and it was the prime time of year for that kind of car to be on the road, and everyone said that Mustangs weren't moving (funny how the ones "Not Moving" were 2001-2004's).

I ended up losing my shirt on my trade and sold it to them at least $3K under it's actual value, but we were so fed up with looking for a vehicle and wanted to get it done and overwith.

Just be careful, and make sure that you owe less than what your vehicle is worth (which almost nobody can say).

L8tz
Pages: 1 2 3