FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i noticed an issue today.

there is sort of a clunky weird noise coming from front right side of car.

its not suspension

i think its axial.. :(

i can only here it half the time. and it only dose it at slow speed wile turning. appers to do it worse wile turning right.

also u kind of have to spin the tires a bit to get it to make the noise.

turning traction control on and off doesn't change any thing ether.

can any one enlighten me a bit

1. im assuming the axial for a svt is diff than a normal focus

2. has any one ever bought a axial for a svt :blink:

best explanation of the nose. is it sounds like i have a full race LSD :D
Jmountney1,Feb 17 2010, 04:10 PM Wrote:i noticed an issue today.

there is sort of a clunky weird noise coming from front right side of car.

its not suspension

i think its axial..  :(

i can only here it half the time. and it only dose it at slow speed wile turning. appers to do it worse wile turning right.

also u kind of have to spin the tires a bit to get it to make the noise.

turning traction control on and off doesn't change any thing ether. 

can any one enlighten me a bit

1. im assuming the axial for a svt is diff than a normal focus

2. has any one ever bought a axial for a svt  :blink:

best explanation of the nose. is it sounds like i have a full race LSD  :D
[right][snapback]301579[/snapback][/right]
I don't know what to say , could it be the CV joint or axle as you call it ? If it goes like toc-toc-toc-toc when you turn and also accelerate , that's the one . And it should do it pretty much every time you turn (i don't mean the steering wheel being just a little off the straight , but being turned about half way or when doing a U-turn) . As for the LSD sound , I never had one . Another one could be the bearing starting to go and gives you a short grinding sound only sometimes when you turn , depending which side is worn .Check the wheel for play . Hope this helps .
yes lol CV joint

im gona get it on a hoist tomorrow and look at it.

hopefully nuttin to bad
dealer won't cover it??
i thought you bought it from dealer??

it sounds like cv axle is going bad..
like mine..
I would take it back it wouldn't pass safety with a broken cv.
i bought it "as is" from the dealer then saftyd it at my buddys shop.

so im gessin the dealer is gona do frig all.
and ive put 4000km on it allready
Sorry but they sold it as is for a reason.
only thing is that when i bought it i was told all it needs was brakes and tires.

and it did safty with just brakes and tires.

so im assuming i cant try and get the dealer to cover it.
cars going on hoist tonight. i just got a price on the axial hoping i dont need to replace it but

$433.75 for right side
If you're not in the money and don't get the noise constantly , I wouldn't hurry . Just take it easy from standing point and try not to accelerate hard through the turns . These things don't just brake , they could knock but keep working for a long time .You might be able to change just the outboard cv joint . That is the part that you see behind the wheel wrapped in a rubber boot .
so after inspection every thing appears to be ok..??

even my mechanic buddy thinks every things ok

and of course i wouldn't make the noise wile he was in the car.

but it did do it on the way home :angry: :angry:

so i guess i sit tight and if it gets worse i do sum thing abought it.

is there any thing inside the tranny/what ever king of diff it has that could be making a noise..

i guess im just a paranoid parent :blink:
Jmountney1,Feb 18 2010, 11:13 PM Wrote:is there any thing inside the tranny/what ever king of diff it has that could be making a noise..

i guess im just a paranoid parent  :blink:
[right][snapback]301688[/snapback][/right]
I don't think so . I can't think of anything else right now . Maybe just checking the transmission fluid level ? Being a new car for you , may have all sorts of strange sounds that you can't diagnose , but wait awhile and they may go away ( or you get used to them :lol: ) , or you may find exactly where they come from . If you're ever coming to Barrie area give me a shout , I'd like to see it . BTW can you post a pic of it ?
When something acts up with my cars and it only happens once in a while. I usally swapp cars with my mechanic and let him take mine home for the night and hope he hears it.
Did you change all the liquieds after purchesing the vehicle? It's just a safe thing to do.
Gabriel,Feb 18 2010, 02:22 PM Wrote:If you're not in the money  and don't get the noise constantly , I wouldn't hurry . Just take it easy from standing point and try not to accelerate  hard through the turns . These things don't just brake , they could knock but keep working for a long time .You might be able to change just the outboard cv joint . That is the part that you see behind the wheel wrapped in a rubber boot .
[right][snapback]301642[/snapback][/right]

+1, one of my profs his dad had a ranger and the transmission would whine in 3rd all the time. The sound started at 40k and the trans went @ 280k......dont want to give any false hope, but Fords will run for a veryyyy long time with a strange noise and nothing happening lol
Gabriel,Feb 19 2010, 01:41 PM Wrote:
Jmountney1,Feb 18 2010, 11:13 PM Wrote:is there any thing inside the tranny/what ever king of diff it has that could be making a noise..

I don't think so . I can't think of anything else right now . Maybe just checking the transmission fluid level ? Being a new car for you , may have all sorts of strange sounds that you can't diagnose , but wait awhile and they may go away ( or you get used to them :lol: ) , or you may find exactly where they come from . If you're ever coming to Barrie area give me a shout , I'd like to see it . BTW can you post a pic of it ?
[right][snapback]301699[/snapback][/right]

i changed the oil but not the transmission fluid. (i plan on doing it). i mean the noise isnt very lowed but you can still hear it.

ill post pics up Monday or Tuesday

thanks all
Jmountney1,Feb 19 2010, 10:09 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Feb 19 2010, 01:41 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]301699[/snapback][/right]

i changed the oil but not the transmission fluid. (i plan on doing it). i mean the noise isnt very lowed but you can still hear it.

ill post pics up Monday or Tuesday

thanks all
[right][snapback]301749[/snapback][/right]
It's simple to change the transmission fluid . Just jack up the front , or get up on some ramps , you will find two plugs on the tranny , on underneath and on on the front , toward the radiator . Drop the existing fluid and replace it with 2 qts of fresh one and you're done . You will need a funnel with long flexible neck .