FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Woohoo!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
D-Dub,Jul 15 2008, 11: Wrote:They told me I have two options for the shifts..........

Anyways the orientation is the 28th and I picked the 7am slot...

As for moving.... Burlington is an amazing city to live in, housing is not cheap but its an amazing CLEAN city. I've been living here for the past two months and I don't really have any intentions of moving. Also it should be easy for you to find something here, there are so many condos to choose from in a vast array of price ranges.
[right][snapback]268787[/snapback][/right]

I think the options were just for the orientation....? not sure tho

Will we be going right into training on the line after the week of orientation? Reason i ask is i have to give my 2 weeks notice and don't really want to be out of work if there is a break after the orientation... :lol:

and i picked the 4:30pm slot just in case i have to drive out everyday from out here
crazikev,Jul 15 2008, 10:11 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jul 15 2008, 05:04 AM Wrote:
crazikev,Jul 15 2008, 01:10 AM Wrote:Congrats on the job, i know what you have been goin through the last while, I'm also searching for a job, I had my hopes up for one, but Im waiting for the letter in the mail, damn you OPG  :(
[right][snapback]268752[/snapback][/right]

Pickering or Durlington?

i'm in Pickering right now working on unit #7
[right][snapback]268754[/snapback][/right]
Niagara actually. They hiring up there? lol
[right][snapback]268766[/snapback][/right]

Pickering and Durlington are always hiring :)
for what positions Nik?

I Tryed getting into security there and i was told i need school when it stated 3 years experience or school and i have 5 years of experience.
ZX3_2NV,Jul 15 2008, 03:56 PM Wrote:I Tryed getting into security there and i was told i need school...[right][snapback]268816[/snapback][/right]

You do need it. I think you skipped the grade that taught you about sentences and periods.
SL8RZZX3,Jul 15 2008, 01:11 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jul 15 2008, 11: Wrote:They told me I have two options for the shifts..........

Anyways the orientation is the 28th and I picked the 7am slot...

As for moving.... Burlington is an amazing city to live in, housing is not cheap but its an amazing CLEAN city. I've been living here for the past two months and I don't really have any intentions of moving. Also it should be easy for you to find something here, there are so many condos to choose from in a vast array of price ranges.
[right][snapback]268787[/snapback][/right]

I think the options were just for the orientation....? not sure tho

Will we be going right into training on the line after the week of orientation? Reason i ask is i have to give my 2 weeks notice and don't really want to be out of work if there is a break after the orientation... :lol:

and i picked the 4:30pm slot just in case i have to drive out everyday from out here
[right][snapback]268793[/snapback][/right]

I asked if it was nights and he told me I have two options.....not to sure what that meant.

Are you also starting orientation on the 28th?

D-Dub,Jul 15 2008, 03: Wrote:I asked if it was nights and he told me I have two options.....not to sure what that meant.

Are you also starting orientation on the 28th?
[right][snapback]268821[/snapback][/right]

Yeah i was told in the interview that the positions were for midnights only....

i'm thinking the two options were for the orientation and probably the shift we will be trained on. And yes i start the Orientation on the 28th @ 4:30pm
ZX3_2NV,Jul 15 2008, 02:56 PM Wrote:for what positions Nik?

I Tryed getting into security there and i was told i need school when it stated 3 years experience or school and i have 5 years of experience.
[right][snapback]268816[/snapback][/right]

they have 2 different security on site

1. Fully armed swat team big boys rolling in the armed Ford F-550 truck (which are cops obviosly)
2. Un-armed security that checks people in security buildings every morning,drives around in Dodge Nitro(i think you'd have more chances to get that if you have some kind of a police course on your hands and very clean record)

There are also positions in the plant itself like mechanics, radiation protection(which pays very-very well for not working hard as you'd have to work at Ford plant).I believe it starts of at $30-32/hour and goes up with time.

Anyways nuke plants are fun, way different then anything else out there. Get to see stuff then by far not everyone else out there.
They are bringing you in for 2 weeks to train on the other shifts. That is what you got to choose, train on day shift or afternoon shift. You will all be on the night shift without a choice after that. If you can bid on a job after your 90 days and get lucky enough to switch shifts, you better have a 4 leaf clover for that coming true. Plan to be on midnights for the next 2-5 years. You make 10% more on midnights too.

And Aaron got the call today to start.

Don't sweat it just yet Todd. You were behind everyone for having the aptitude test, the physical and the hearing. They have alot of people to call. I have my fingers crossed when you come here Thursday you will be a future Ford employee.

If not, I am calling my boss's boss's boss.
Does that 2 weeks of training directly follow the week of orientation? And then from there we go to the midnight shift? I'm just trying to figure out when i'm going to give my notice and try to keep working as much as i can.... With all the turmoil around GM this year, i've had enough time off
I told my super Im quitting on friday and Im telling my boss on friday. My boss laid me off for a week for no apparent reason and gave me 3 hours notice that I was not to come in the next day. I told him last year I was going to school for two years and he flipped, so I guess that was his way of getting back at me .............but now its my turn.

I taking a week off, I might just got visit my parents in Europe.
I say go ahead and enjoy ur selves take a week off i know i would
SL8RZZX3,Jul 16 2008, 12:23 AM Wrote:Does that 2 weeks of training directly follow the week of orientation? And then from there we go to the midnight shift? I'm just trying to figure out when i'm going to give my notice and try to keep working as much as i can....  With all the turmoil around GM this year, i've had enough time off
[right][snapback]268843[/snapback][/right]
They used to send us for a week of school for orientation. But I think that program is now ended(15 years ago). Don't be surprised if your orientation is a day long intro and your put out on the floor right away. Your orientation may mean heres the gun, here's the screws, now get to work. :D

I would quit the old job right away. Your going to be at work 8 hours, plus with your travel distance atleast another 2 hours, so 10 hours at Ford, 8 hours sleep and some relax time. Quit the old job.

Oh, and as a side note, it may have been said before, don't leave the plant until your supervisor says so. Not even if everyone else has left do you leave the plant. Stay put until you confirm or hear it from your supervisor that you can go.
New news people........Just sent this eamil to torradan.

Okay, here's what is going on with Ford.

The new shift has been postponed for hiring for 4-6 weeks. Sales are slow.
They are calling the 100 new hires that were supposed to start school next week and possibly kancelling school for now or keeping them in school for 2 weeks and then laying them off.
They are only schooling 100 new hires a week, for 5 weeks, probably why you weren't called.

So there you go.

B
if that is true we wouldn't be able to collect unemployment...

isn't the plant shut down right now??
well thats crappy
D-Dub,Jul 22 2008, 09: Wrote:if that is true we wouldn't be able to collect unemployment...

isn't the plant shut down right now??
[right][snapback]269144[/snapback][/right]
The plant is back in operation this week. We did have a three week shut down until last year I believe when things changed and we went to a 2 week shut down.

I spoke with the union rep. and there are special provisions that companies that hire an employee and then plans change, that person is entitled to collect unemployment benefits based on their old earning wages. So to answer your question, yes, you would get unemployment.

I wanted to give you guys the heads up so you could try and stay on for a little while at your current employer if you get(as Ford always does) a last minute phone call from them.
SL8RZZX3,Jul 14 2008, 05:14 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Jul 14 2008, 05:04 PM Wrote:Fantastic ... so now the west house hunting begins.
[right][snapback]268709[/snapback][/right]

Thanx

Yeah i'll probably just get an apartment for a while, maybe Burlington area...
[right][snapback]268710[/snapback][/right]

Congrats on the call!

My coworker just emailed me a house listed behind his:

http://www.privaterealestate.ca/Details.php?ID=4478
Yeah i got an unwelcome phone call today on my way to work today....

So i was told not to report on monday for orientation and the 3rd shift has been put on hold
SL8RZZX3,Jul 23 2008, 12:12 AM Wrote:Yeah i got an unwelcome phone call today on my way to work today....

So i was told not to report on monday for orientation and the 3rd shift has been put on hold
[right][snapback]269229[/snapback][/right]

so did I......Im so f***in pissed off right now its not even funny. I f***in quit my job to work for them, now they tell me to "wait".

I think I might just go back and finish my last year of school, this for thing looks like it may be sketchy .
Pages: 1 2 3