FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ev How To Do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Now that gas prices are going thru the roof, I’ve been in search of better alternatives to getting around town. Having said that. My main car would still be the freestyle for the winter, but was thinking of something really small to get me to work M-F during summer months. My work would be 35KMs each way; it would consist of highway400 and Highway 9. So I was thinking of building an electric car.

I would like to know who has previous experience with this sort of stuff. I’ve done some research on the net and found some good ideas. Also I would like to know if there are any ppl I can depend on when it comes to welding stuff. I can always rent cranes from CT or parts stores, but I don’t really like to pay a welding shop to fabricate stuff for me not if I can get it for free here :)

So 1 question would be what kind of car I should use. Was looking at Geo Metro and CR-X. I like the CR-X, but with age I would get lot of rust and the ones that are in good condition cost a lot of money. So I guess a Geo Metro would do the job. I don’t want to car to have AC/ or PS. These things would steal away from my battery life.

Was looking at some online kits and they retail around 2-3K to buy. Batteries are not included of course. Having said that the whole thing should cost me less then 5K to build. Before you start telling me to go and get a prius… they cost 12K for a 2001 used one with 100K on it. So before I know it I have to replace the batteries on it!!!

Ohh and NO bikes!!!!

i've seen a lot of EV cars with made from older rwd cars like a 240SX, i believe that it is easier to put the drivetrain for the electric motor in the car, as well as having a more room for batteries. think that most cars like that are running a 2 speed powerglide transmission as well.

and you'd have a car that could run 12's in the 1/4 mile
Would building your own electric car really net you a gain on costs? Seriously, I'm curious.
here is what i have so far...

doner car, 1000$
DC motor plus controls $2500
Batteries 1500$

range 100KM
speed upto 100-110km/h

operating cost should be around 1cent per km as oppsed to 14cents for gas car.

also i would really work on getting the doner car for free+free batteries. so hoping the total car would cost me around 3000$.

3000$ = 2300L of fuel = 32 fills for my freestyle.

honestly you are right and it might not be worth to do it, but i think it would be a great project. Plus from what i read, they are maintanance free once everything is running smoothly.
Electric 240SX

your thinking of something like this right?
Not dissing the project, I think it sounds like tons of fun.

I just thought your reasoning seemed dubious.
FocusGuy7476,Jul 14 2008, 11:05 PM Wrote:Electric 240SX

your thinking of something like this right?
[right][snapback]268716[/snapback][/right]

mmm, more like this. Again i want something to save gas on rather then burn rubber.

http://www.evalbum.com/985
the revolt (rav4) and Fiero look like pretty cool setups.

Good luck with the build. Hopefully it works out for you and if it runs for id say 3 summers ur banking in on the cash for any longer than that.