FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Computer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So today was driving to work, my car dies. Dead..wont start.. I was moving @ about 20km/h and just tried to clutch out to revive it and still nothing.

The car is dead, won't start nothing. The Dash is showing ------ where the trip and odo are and nothing happens when I turn the key.

Also my SCT tuner won't do anything.

Is my computer FUBAR? What can I do, since I need a custom tune (Randys custom tunes) to get this thing back up and running? I assume buying a new computer i'm sort of screwed because my SCT is locked to my current one?

Edit:
I'll add I checked all fuses, battery voltage and left the battery off for 20 minutes. Still same issue :(
I just recently got a SCT2 and I have some software with it that allows me to delete the original car to program a secound one. But It erases the stock setting of the car. If you need a copy of it PM me and I'll arange something if you don't already have the software. Other than that I have no clue good luck.
I know this is going to sound smartass but you have checked the electricals? (Battery, alternator etc.)

Otherwise if the electricals check out, then yes it could be the ECU and because you had a custom tune on the ECU, you'd need to get the SCT unlocked again and a fresh tune for the new ECU

NefCanuck
Electricals should be good, full power everywhere. Checked all fuses/breakers.
Have you had the battery off lately? Could it also be your keys have lost their programming?
Did you try to remove the battery terminal for atleast 15 min.?
Check battery voltage to be sure.
It is 12.XV battery was disc. for 30 minutes.
oldeguy,Jul 11 2008, 11:03 AM Wrote:Have you had the battery off lately? Could it also be your keys have lost their programming?
[right][snapback]268482[/snapback][/right]

The little light flashes when this happens, but it is on solid.
I've read a lot of reports of the keylock cylinder giving out, apparantly it can give a scenario like yours...one example at focusfanatics:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...hlight=turn+key
The contacts inside the cylinder stop working, you get dead scenario after.

belts intact?
its not the key cylinders check does it atleast crank check your coli pack and one thing that ive done before id set off my emergency fuel cut off turn the ignition to the point just before you would start it and push the botton beside the passenger door ive had to do that a couple of times already and it could be a bad ground thats come loose just a few problems that ive worked threw already
ZX3_2NV,Jul 11 2008, 02:36 PM Wrote:its not the key cylinders. check does it atleast crank? check your coli pack.  And one thing that ive done before, id set off my emergency fuel cut off. turn the ignition to the point just before you would start it and push the botton beside the passenger door. ive had to do that a couple of times already. It could be a bad ground thats come loose. Just a few problems that ive worked threw already
[right][snapback]268503[/snapback][/right]

What he said ^^ I think :blink:

Check the emergency fuel cut off Kevin, I was driving down the highway and hit a rather nasty bump and my whole car died. Tow truck driver got me going again by showing me this little trick!
yes thats what I said lol did it work?
I FOUND IT!

One of the drivers side grounds (a little piss ass small wire), this must be the ground for the computer or something. Was corroded and not making good contact. I added a wire from the engine to this location and tightened it down good.

Starts right up, no issues at all.....I would not have noticed this if I didn't see another burnt wire that was resting on the EGR and melted. Straightening out the wires I noticed the ground spot was corroded and a little loose. Man I feel like a bone head !
Bonehead?!?! Sounds like you aced it to me.
It doesn't matter how you fix it, as long as it is fixed... and cheaply too :P
Gravter,Jul 14 2008, 09:19 PM Wrote:Bonehead?!?!  Sounds like you aced it to me.
It doesn't matter how you fix it, as long as it is fixed... and cheaply too :P
[right][snapback]268729[/snapback][/right]

Exactly. Glad you found the problem kevin!
Way to go Kev! And yeah, a bonehead (like me!) would never have found that :P

You're definitely not a bonehead!
ZX3_2NV,Jul 11 2008, 10:36 AM Wrote:its not the key cylinders check does it atleast crank check your coli pack and one thing that ive done before id set off my emergency fuel cut off turn the ignition to the point just before you would start it and push the botton beside the passenger door ive had to do that a couple of times already and it could be a bad ground thats come loose just a few problems that ive worked threw already
[right][snapback]268503[/snapback][/right]

Welcome to my World Kev!

A different problem to work threw everytime!

Glad to hear the cars up and running