FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Iphone News.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yeah, I've been reading the thread over at dslreports.com... methinks Rogers didn't anticipate the "Revenge Of The Nerds ;) ('cause only those technically inclined would know just how much of a bend over those plans actually are, esp. the overage charges)

NefCanuck
FAKE!!! just ignore these kind of websites untill launch day.
So can someone tell me why i should pay over 100$ a month just for a phone please???

I got a BB right now and its with Bell. Company picks up the tab, but what does Iphone have that others don't??? Am i missing something???Have I been living under a rock???
paolo,Jul 9 2008, 12:19 AM Wrote:FAKE!!! just ignore these kind of websites untill launch day.
[right][snapback]268345[/snapback][/right]

SNOWJOB!

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless...e_data_packages

Horribly overpriced when other carriers offer similar capabilities with unlimited data. Rogers once again bends people over the counter and then asks them if they like it. Classic.

Sadly I'm almost a year into a 3-year with Rogers. I won't be renewing and I'm investigating options that would make breaking my contract and paying the overpriced "penalty" fees attractive.

Telus SPARK as an alternative to iPhone - $25/mo on top of a data plan, but UNLIMITED everything.

Bell has their Unlimited Mobile Browser service, amongst others. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell me something with unlimited data transfer, messaging, etc.

Seriously, though... Rogers' apathy towards the market and consumers is disgusting. 3 cents/MB for data overages locally (but your first 60MB are 50 cents per, so $30 for 60MB) but $3/MB for roaming data? That's beyond nuts. :angry:
mo_focus,Jul 9 2008, 06:32 AM Wrote:So can someone tell me why i should pay over 100$ a month just for a phone please???

I got a BB right now and its with Bell. Company picks up the tab, but what does Iphone have that others don't??? Am i missing something???Have I been living under a rock???
[right][snapback]268350[/snapback][/right]

IMO, the iPhone really doesn't offer anything that a Blackberry already does and is in fact less practical (I don't know about you, but I want an actual keyboard to bang out messages on, not a smooth surface where unless I'm looking right at the thing I have no idea what I'm typing)

Add to that the insane pricing scheme that Rogers has put down (with the "take it or leave it" mentality) and you can see why people are saying that Rogers has bungled the iPhone...

Hell, even Bell, if the iPhone had a CDMA capable version, couldn't have messed up this badly <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jul 9 2008, 01:54 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Jul 9 2008, 06:32 AM Wrote:So can someone tell me why i should pay over 100$ a month just for a phone please???

[right][snapback]268350[/snapback][/right]

IMO, the iPhone really doesn't offer anything that a Blackberry already does and is in fact less practical (I don't know about you, but I want an actual keyboard to bang out messages on, not a smooth surface where unless I'm looking right at the thing I have no idea what I'm typing)

Add to that the insane pricing scheme that Rogers has put down (with the "take it or leave it" mentality) and you can see why people are saying that Rogers has bungled the iPhone...

Hell, even Bell, if the iPhone had a CDMA capable version, couldn't have messed up this badly <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]268367[/snapback][/right]
ok good so i'm not missing much :)

I took a blackberry back to the store because I did not like one bit, and it did not want to sync to my macbook at all. my ipod touch does everything and more than a blackberry did, and the touch is pretty much an iphone without the phone or camera in it.

I think that blackberry is less practical than a iphone/ipod touch.
FocusGuy7476,Jul 9 2008, 06:44 PM Wrote:I took a blackberry back to the store because I did not like one bit, and it did not want to sync to my macbook at all. my ipod touch does everything and more than a blackberry did, and the touch is pretty much an iphone without the phone or camera in it.

I think that blackberry is less practical than a iphone/ipod touch.
[right][snapback]268386[/snapback][/right]

ok well thats bc you are a mac guy. :)

But realisticlty i'm just trying to see if Iphone is more like a business tool or just a toy for kids? I know BB is used for work and i have it set up with my email and it does wonders. I no longer carry my lap top with me every where. I'm just now attached to my BB instead :)

Blackberries are great for syncing mail with Exchange servers, I'll tell you that much. I can email anywhere in my enterprise with one, just by knowing a few letters in someone's name. As an end-user, that makes it almost infalliable.

iPhones? Not so much.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 9 2008, 07:55 PM Wrote:Blackberries are great for syncing mail with Exchange servers, I'll tell you that much. I can email anywhere in my enterprise with one, just by knowing a few letters in someone's name. As an end-user, that makes it almost infalliable.

iPhones? Not so much.
[right][snapback]268394[/snapback][/right]

yep, i love the fact in my company i have access to over 3000 employee's numbers and emails. I was stuck up north one day and i tell you that came in very handy.
maybe i should have gave the blackberry more time or tried other model instead of the Pearl.
FocusGuy7476,Jul 9 2008, 05:44 PM Wrote:maybe i should have gave the blackberry more time or tried other model instead of the Pearl.
[right][snapback]268397[/snapback][/right]
I don't much like the Pearl either. The Curve seems a bit better IMO, though having not used one much I can't say for sure. But I like the "full" qwerty keypad and it's large screen.

Personally I'm waiting until there's a plan I can actually afford with a dataplan heh.

The plans mentioned in this thread sound nice if I could find them. I just don't like being signed into a contract for 3 years, I think that's BS.
Didn't anyone read the news today? $30 for 6 GIGS of data???? thats BETTER than what they are offering in the USA.

You also DON'T have to change your price plan to get the iphone, this is good for customers with grandfathered plans like city fido, . but....you SHOULD get a data plan for this phone, or your not getting the full functionality of this phone, kinda like those people who buy a hiptop but don't get the $20 unlimited hiptop data option, the phone was useless...
paolo,Jul 9 2008, 10:03 PM Wrote:Didn't anyone read the news today? $30 for 6 GIGS of data????  thats BETTER than what they are offering in the USA.

You also DON'T have to change your price plan to get the iphone, this is good for customers with grandfathered plans like city fido, . but....you SHOULD get a data plan for this phone, or your not getting the full functionality of this phone, kinda like those people who buy a hiptop but don't get the $20 unlimited hiptop data option, the phone was useless...
[right][snapback]268407[/snapback][/right]

yeah but if you read the fine prints of that Paolo it's only until Aug. 31st. anyone picking up the iPhone after that is screwed, not to mention if you break the 3 year contract it's $2600.00 minus the months you already have / had used it.

the thing that is making a lot of people mad is the fact your limited on your data usage, and there is no offere of Unlimited usage, and that's what pissing everyone off.

another thing that made the news is Telus & Bell will be charging $0.15 for all incoming text messages starting aug. 1st unless you have the unlimited text plan or what not.
Frost__2001,Jul 10 2008, 06:37 AM Wrote:
paolo,Jul 9 2008, 10:03 PM Wrote:Didn't anyone read the news today? $30 for 6 GIGS of data????  thats BETTER than what they are offering in the USA.

[right][snapback]268407[/snapback][/right]

yeah but if you read the fine prints of that Paolo it's only until Aug. 31st. anyone picking up the iPhone after that is screwed, not to mention if you break the 3 year contract it's $2600.00 minus the months you already have / had used it.

the thing that is making a lot of people mad is the fact your limited on your data usage, and there is no offere of Unlimited usage, and that's what pissing everyone off.

another thing that made the news is Telus & Bell will be charging $0.15 for all incoming text messages starting aug. 1st unless you have the unlimited text plan or what not.
[right][snapback]268415[/snapback][/right]

I don't know where you get the cancellation fee, maybe your thinking about how telus charges like $1000, well more like a max of $760, but for rogers and fido, the cancellation fee is capped at a max of $400. With all the media attention and the availability of the new data rates, it gives people PLEANTY of time to add this data plan to their package if they get an iPhone, there is no excuse to complain. There will definately be other data offerings down the road too, u think this will all go away?? your nutz. They're waiting for more competition so they can introduce better planss, right now there is no competition. Bellus (telus+bell) is basically owned.

I've never personaly seen or heard someone go OVER the 6 GIGS on a mobile phone, 6 gigs is VERY GENEROUS, TRUST ME. I am a heavy data user my self, and have used roughly what, 1 GIG the most? and that was when I was theathering ie using a PCMCIA card modem with fido. P.S. I have the unlimited Data plan for $50 that fido once offered. People had the chance to get this plan within the last year to two, they BUNKED OUT.
paolo,Jul 10 2008, 07:24 AM Wrote:They're waiting for more competition so they can introduce better planss, right now there is no competition.
[right][snapback]268416[/snapback][/right]
That's just it. There IS not competition in Canada. So they get to wait an infinite amount of time to introduce those better plans. As in never.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 9 2008, 03:55 PM Wrote:Blackberries are great for syncing mail with Exchange servers, I'll tell you that much. I can email anywhere in my enterprise with one, just by knowing a few letters in someone's name. As an end-user, that makes it almost infalliable.

iPhones? Not so much.
[right][snapback]268394[/snapback][/right]

The Iphones will actually link to microsoft exchange and yes you can use it for internal business email, if that is how it is setup. As for the data, here is a little tidbit..

The average amount of data used on the Iphone in the states last year was only 100 MB thus making the 400 MB offere with a voice plan of 150 daytime mins unlt eve/weekends and also throwing in visual voicemail and even some text messages a pretty good plan . These plans also come with a unlt wifi on any rogers/fido hotspot in the city ( normally if you go to starbucks and use wifi, you have to pay max $30 / mth) . With this your iphone with switch over to the wifi, (@ starbucks / work/home) thus making your data consumption lower than what people think they will use.

I was thinking about getting a pearl or curve with the GPS in it, but now that I have had a chance to play with the IPHONE last night in my day training, I'm actually hooked on this thing. The functionality of this device is actually revolutionary.

But I definitely say wait for the final information tomorrow, as this product is actually being released in 20-25 of the major markets in the world all at the same time.

ZX3guy2000,Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM Wrote:The Iphones will actually link to microsoft exchange and yes you can use it for internal business email, if that is how it is setup.  As for the data, here is a little tidbit..

The average amount of data used on the Iphone in the states last year was only 100 MB  thus making the 400 MB offere with a voice plan of 150 daytime mins unlt eve/weekends and also throwing in visual voicemail and even some text messages a pretty good plan .  These plans also come with a unlt wifi on any rogers/fido hotspot in the city ( normally if you go to starbucks and use wifi, you have to pay max $30 / mth) .  With this your iphone with switch over to the wifi, (@ starbucks / work/home) thus making your data consumption lower than what people think they will use.

I was thinking about getting a pearl or curve with the GPS in it, but now that I have had a chance to play with the IPHONE last night in my day training, I'm actually hooked on this thing.  The functionality of this device is actually revolutionary.

But I definitely say wait for the final information tomorrow, as this product is actually being released in 20-25 of the major markets in the world  all at the same time.
[right][snapback]268421[/snapback][/right]

Gee, you don't work for Rogers, do you Tim? :lol:

I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm also thinking of the Instinct, or the HTC Touch Diamond, or maybe even the BB Bold... I'll be getting some sort of smart phone in the near future, but currently the iPhone is at the bottom of the list due to cost.
Aka,Jul 10 2008, 09:59 AM Wrote:That's just it. There IS not competition in Canada. So they get to wait an infinite amount of time to introduce those better plans. As in never.
[right][snapback]268419[/snapback][/right]

That's why there is a spectrum auction going on.. If you remember like 8 years ago how many cellular carriers there were, not including re-sellers. There was Microcell Solutions, Clearnet, Telus, Bell, and Rogers, thats 5 companies.. Now we're down to 3. The more new entrants introduced, will force lower rates, and more competitive offerings.
Pages: 1 2