FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Not Sure Where This Post Belongs...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just as a FYI for anyone running the H13 / 9008 headlight bulb series:

I have found an American reseller who doesn't seem to have any problem shipping Sylvania Silverstar H13s (or likely any other bulbs) to Canadian destinations.

As you might remember, I've been on a tear looking for basic customization parts for my 2008 Escape. I've since managed to find my K+N filter as well, I just need to order it.

As an example, Ford vehicles alone with H13s for 2008 MY - Econoline/Club Wagon, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, Sport Trac, F150, F250-550, Focus and Mustang (no HIDs). This was gleaned from the Sylvania.com automotive bulb replacement guide.

If you need H13s (or any Silverstars at all) and you want to save some cash (looks to be approximately 1/3 less cash after shipping, ask seller for your price), let me know. I will PM you his name and email. I'm not even making a commission on this, I'm just trying to help out some friends who might want better-than-stock bulbs. You might want to "do something" about your DRLs if they're running on your headlights, though.

I am indeed running my new Sylvania Silverstar H13s and I'm quite happy with them!

Steve / Anthony / Kev / Daniel, if this post needs to be moved, please do so!

Thanks fellas.

Adam
I missed read the post i don't really know to much about aftermarket bulbs just go HID and call it a day
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 19 2008, 09:06 AM Wrote:Just as a FYI for anyone running the H13 / 9008 headlight bulb series:

I have found an American reseller who doesn't seem to have any problem shipping Sylvania Silverstar H13s (or likely any other bulbs) to Canadian destinations.

As you might remember, I've been on a tear looking for basic customization parts for my 2008 Escape. I've since managed to find my K+N filter as well, I just need to order it.

As an example, Ford vehicles alone with H13s for 2008 MY - Econoline/Club Wagon, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, Sport Trac, F150, F250-550, Focus and Mustang (no HIDs). This was gleaned from the Sylvania.com automotive bulb replacement guide.

If you need H13s (or any Silverstars at all) and you want to save some cash (looks to be approximately 1/3 less cash after shipping, ask seller for your price), let me know. I will PM you his name and email. I'm not even making a commission on this, I'm just trying to help out some friends who might want better-than-stock bulbs. You might want to "do something" about your DRLs if they're running on your headlights, though.

I am indeed running my new Sylvania Silverstar H13s and I'm quite happy with them!

Steve / Anthony / Kev / Daniel, if this post needs to be moved, please do so!

Thanks fellas.

Adam
[right][snapback]267319[/snapback][/right]

I was looking for after market bulbs, like the PIAA but I was told at "truck world" in Hamilton they have a problem with melting the wirring harness from running way to hot. Ive hears that the silverstars burn out after a couple of months, Adam let me know if they last a while, if so I will pick aup a set.
It's kinda comical not having DRLs, actually. Driving to work this morning when it was sorta dark and cloudy / rainy, I decided to turn on the parking lights and the fogs. I swear 3-4 other Escape owners did a double-take / gave me the evil eye! :lol:

Night #2 with them in and having driven around... quite, quite worth it.

Again, Nathan, if the 08 Foci DRLs run on the high-beams... you might want to see if the DRL function can be redirected. Saving that, you may just want to pull the relay and then ensure that your high-beams work. I'll look into the HTA, but I'm fairly certain that DRLs only need to be working when the car is sold, not when the car is driven after the sale. Sure, they're a great automatic safety feature but so is having enough grey matter to turn on your parking lights at least in inclement weather - you get 4 corners of "protection", something factory DRLs don't give you. I hate mindless, half thought-through hand-holding BS that becomes "the standard" because it's been around for a while and no-one sees fit to question it... kinda like the apes, the electrified banana and unwritten "policy".

</mini rant>
so there is an actual increase in the light output, not just a color change? you should double check to make sure the bulbs are not drawing more wattage than stock.

there is no voodoo magic here. in order for a halogen based bulb to output more light than another halogen bulb, it has to draw more current. period.

sorry to be so skeptical, i used those same bulbs and piaa bulbs and found no difference, other than a big dent in my wallet.

if you ARE running higher wattage without knowing it, you will likely melt part of the headlight housing and/or the connect running from the headlight to the vehicle wiring harness

i've been down this cosmetic mod path before too.. so proceed with caution.. and better yet.. try to get actual arc discharge headlights with OE design housings....
I've run the Silverstars in the past (9003s in my first-gen sedan) and they were great. They draw 5W more but the light is at a higher temperature... so overall the lumens may be close to the same but it's definitely easier to see at night.

I'm impressed with them, really.

I'm still investigating true HIDs as well as an option.
Canadian ST,Jun 19 2008, 03:36 PM Wrote:I was looking for after market bulbs, like the PIAA but I was told at "truck world" in Hamilton they have a problem with melting the wirring harness from running way to hot. Ive hears that the silverstars burn out after a couple of months, Adam let me know if they last a while, if so I will pick aup a set.
[right][snapback]267382[/snapback][/right]

When Silverstars first came out I tried them and loved the light output ... but they did in fact last only a couple of months (that was then, don't know about now) and after putting up a big stink about it CT gave me new ones ... then I went through another set at my own expense and gave up on them.

I then bought the PIAAs which at least came with a one year warranty and same thing with them ... went through 3 sets in a year (they didn't melt any wiring though) ... I gave up on them after the third set blew and I had no warranty left.

The Silverstars have since come down a bit in price IIRC, but I'd have to be really convinced that they last as long as OEM before I invest in them again.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 19 2008, 08:30 PM Wrote:I've run the Silverstars in the past (9003s in my first-gen sedan) and they were great. They draw 5W more but the light is at a higher temperature... so overall the lumens may be close to the same but it's definitely easier to see at night.

I'm impressed with them, really.

I'm still investigating true HIDs as well as an option.
[right][snapback]267392[/snapback][/right]

higher wattage to offset the tinting.. i buy that. glad you like em

i tried to look at offshore versions of the escape but it looks like none of them use hids

i suppose you could just be selfish and install aftermarket hid bulbs with a welded on 9003 base into your stock housings