FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bmw Gina Concept Car...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what if you could make a car's body out of fabric instead of steel/plastic?

BMW answers that question with the GINA concept car.

As reported by jalopnik... (click on the link to see the video)

Quote:The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model The key to affecting the development of tomorrow's mobility lies in our readiness to challenge what is established and in the ability to present new options. In order to meet these objectives, BMW Group Design taps into the potential of the GINA principle (Geometry and Functions In "N" Adaptions) which promotes innovative thinking by allowing maximum freedom of crea-tivity.

I have to admit, the video at the link is pretty damn cool...

[edit] here's the youtube version...

Instead of rust, we would get canvas rot? wouldn't work for Honda, where would the ricer put all the stickers?
oldeguy,Jun 11 2008, 11:27 AM Wrote:Instead of rust, we would get canvas rot? wouldn't work for Honda, where would the ricer put all the stickers?
[right][snapback]266533[/snapback][/right]

Type R scissors? :ph34r:
oldeguy,Jun 11 2008, 10:27 AM Wrote:Instead of rust, we would get canvas rot? wouldn't work for Honda, where would the ricer put all the stickers?
[right][snapback]266533[/snapback][/right]

They would sew them on like Girl Guide patches or have them custom embroidered. :lol:
let me see the crash test and maybe then i'll approve
NikiterZTS,Jun 11 2008, 12:13 PM Wrote:let me see the crash test and maybe then i'll approve
[right][snapback]266538[/snapback][/right]
Sheet metal, isn't very strong in the first place, pretty thin, so...............
oldeguy,Jun 11 2008, 11:22 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jun 11 2008, 12:13 PM Wrote:let me see the crash test and maybe then i'll approve
Sheet metal, isn't very strong in the first place, pretty thin, so...............FAIL[right][snapback]266541[/snapback][/right]

plastic panels and fiberglass panels have been used for years and they don't provide much more protection than plain ol' fabric.

And unlike modern unibody cars where the body is integral to the chasis, they stated that the GINA concept would use a space frame, which is more like driving a nascar car than a road-going unibody.

So I think they could pull it off.

However, I wonder if they give away a free tide stain pen with each sale, or if it's 'dry clean only'....
darkpuppet,Jun 11 2008, 01:15 PM Wrote:

plastic panels and fiberglass panels have been used for years and they don't provide much more protection than plain ol' fabric.

And unlike modern unibody cars where the body is integral to the chasis, they stated that the GINA concept would use a space frame, which is more like driving a nascar car than a road-going unibody.

However, I wonder if they give away a free tide stain pen with each sale, or if it's 'dry clean only'....
[right][snapback]266547[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

Thats a lot of cans of turtle wax carpet cleaner!
"I was steam-cleaning my 7-series but I had to go answer the phone. I came back and it was a 3-series!" :lol: :rofl:
if they did make super light tube frame chassis cars legal for road use, would you actually use it on the road?

i saw a caterham last weekend at the track, but it looks like it provides only marginally more crash protection than a motorcycle!
darkpuppet,Jun 11 2008, 12:15 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]266547[/snapback][/right]

Hell, what about air freshener for inside the car... or have you forgotten how most fabric smells when it's wet? :ph34r: :lol:

NefCanuck