FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: In Car Or Helmet Camera? Suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
guys i'm thinking of getting an in car camera or helmet camera so i can record my track sessions and figure out ways to improve. (ideally, i'd like to use GPS based data acquisition that also pulls in data from the PCM... but.. that's not going to happen $$$$$)

do you have any suggestions? maybe i'll get more luck on another forum but i thought i'd ask

as a bonus, i'd get to post up vids of cars that pass me and that i pass

Hey Naz,

Have a look at sticky pods. If you have a camcorder, your all set, minus the GPS thingy.

http://www.stickypod.com/

[Image: porsche_dash_cam2_800.jpg]
wow great find thanks

EDIT: just read the vehicle tech rules.. that will only be allowed if my camera is 3oz or less.. otherwise it needs to be tethered as well
Naz, if you handy I've posted the supplier of that mount, we use it for camera installs, it's dirt cheap, you'd have to source the plate & suction cups yourself though. Pana-vise
We get ours through ADI-Burtek in Canada.
If your really gung-ho, look into the March Networks DVR, they have a mobile unit that has GPS functions, you'd then also have the option of 1-4 cams.
Personally, I'm going to go the head-rest pole route. Not for racing, just to record the idiots on my drives. Going to mount it using headrest poles for support. Should be easy enough, and not too much vibration. You'll find a lot of guys do it that way. Piece of flat metal or pipe, couple of u-bolts, and mounting of some sort for the vid cam.
check this out guys

http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html

i think this is what you meant scorpion.

j3rt i'm having a hard time opening the link.. i'll try at home. that march dvr system is a bit hardcore =P i suspect it will be stupid expensive
naz,Jun 9 2008, 06:47 PM Wrote:wow great find thanks

EDIT: just read the vehicle tech rules.. that will only be allowed if my camera is 3oz or less.. otherwise it needs to be tethered as well
[right][snapback]266334[/snapback][/right]

3oz?!?!? or 3 pounds???
Kinda silly... but I see what they mean safety wise.
These are available with tethers btw.
naz,Jun 9 2008, 09:56 PM Wrote:check this out guys

http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html

i think this is what you meant scorpion. 

[right][snapback]266355[/snapback][/right]

Yes, exactly what i meant, and easy enough to make with a bit of thought. B)
Scorpion,Jun 9 2008, 08:06 PM Wrote:Personally, I'm going to go the head-rest pole route. Not for racing, just to record the idiots on my drives. Going to mount it using headrest poles for support. Should be easy enough, and not too much vibration. You'll find a lot of guys do it that way. Piece of flat metal or pipe, couple of u-bolts, and mounting of some sort for the vid cam.
[right][snapback]266348[/snapback][/right]

I've seen a few of these used, and was going to make one myself before I stopped hitting the track so much. All you need to mount the cam is a fender washer, nut, and a bolt. You should be able to find a bolt at the hardware store that will fit into the tripod mount on the cam.
Any of these mounts can be made with a little creativity. Though, $48 for the filmtools unit is pretty good. The Pana-vise mounts (& knock-offs) can be sourced for as little as $20.

I'm a fan of multiply cams in-car. Using one of these, Quad, and a recorder you can record 4 cams all sync'd. If your handicam can record line-in your all set.
If ur lookingt to get the camra and mount i have the perfect thing for youif i didn't have a roll cage mount on the way i would have picked up one of these but i can't the link from work so ill post the link 2morrow or if ur lucky maybe today but its a small camara and u can attach it to pretty much anything dash helmet even passnger seat i think
its easy to make your own.
[Image: caemramount002.jpg]
[Image: caemramount001-1.jpg]

also the seat does a great job of dampening vibration

[Image: th_Nationals_wet.jpg]
thenorm,Jun 10 2008, 02:34 PM Wrote:its easy to make your own.
[Image: caemramount002.jpg]
[Image: caemramount001-1.jpg]

also the seat does a great job of dampening vibration

[Image: th_Nationals_wet.jpg]
[right][snapback]266437[/snapback][/right]

not everybody has those kind of headrests though. I wouldn't be able to do that with the seats in my focus or subaru.
i thought about that headrest style mount some more.. not sure i am comfortable with it. seems like if i rolled the car that bar would punch through my helmet and kill me.. that's scary :(

i guess i should just walk around next time and see what the fast guys are using in their cars
naz,Jun 10 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:i thought about that headrest style mount some more.. not sure i am comfortable with it.  seems like if i rolled the car that bar would punch through my helmet and kill me.. that's scary  :(

i guess i should just walk around next time and see what the fast guys are using in their cars
[right][snapback]266455[/snapback][/right]

Just stick a big ol' rubber ball on the end then....and make the bar out of aluminum, so it bends easier...but not too easy, otherwise you'll get vibration.
Scorpion,Jun 10 2008, 10:21 PM Wrote:Just stick a big ol' rubber ball on the end then....and make the bar out of aluminum, so it bends easier...but not too easy, otherwise you'll get vibration.
[right][snapback]266456[/snapback][/right]

i don't think its that simple...
naz,Jun 10 2008, 06:31 PM Wrote:
Scorpion,Jun 10 2008, 10:21 PM Wrote:Just stick a big ol' rubber ball on the end then....and make the bar out of aluminum, so it bends easier...but not too easy, otherwise you'll get vibration.
[right][snapback]266456[/snapback][/right]

i don't think its that simple...
[right][snapback]266457[/snapback][/right]

Well, it would be if you had the right materials and workshop, but ya, not too easy if not.

However...if you're really worried about the sharp pointy bit, why not just get a longer one and bridge between both headrests, with teh camera in teh middle? Not like ur gonna be carrying a passenger on the track (are you?) so lining up seats should be easy enough. :ph34r:
what are u looking to record circuit racing or are u on a motorcycle or go kartins because that the only guys i see using helmet cams
ZX3_2NV,Jun 11 2008, 09:51 AM Wrote:what are u looking to record circuit racing or are u on a motorcycle or go kartins because that the only guys i see using helmet cams
[right][snapback]266520[/snapback][/right]
whut?

periods and sentences man. :rolleyes:
Basically I want to know what he needs a camara for. Does he want to record himself on a Go Karing or Riding a motorcycle, because thats the only time I see people use helmet camaras.
Pages: 1 2