FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Won 2 Out Of 3 Street Races This Week.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So seems people are still trying to race me... I just can't escape it anymore.

So I've taken to trying to teach some lessons on how to go fast -- and yes, on our own city streets... I apologize if this offends folks here, but I can guarantee that I wasn't putting any other motorists at risk... it was a clear stretch, sometimes with a few parked cars around.. but whatever.

The 1st two were just people going fast and toying with me -- I figured I'd give it a go.. what the hell, there weren't any other people around..

The first guy, who I thought would be an easy win because he couldn't shift gears (litterally), turned out to be the biggest threat. He just wound her up in RPMs, and even falling in behind to grab a draft didn't keep me on his tail for long.

The 2nd guy was a similar situation... however, after speeding ahead, he peaked, and by my 3rd gear change was able to catch and pass him.

The 3rd guy pulls up beside me lastnight, and prompts me, "so you wanna race?" to which I replied, "Isn't street racing illegal?". He returned with, "you'll probably smoke me -- your hardware is waaay better than mine". I countered with, "yeah, but it's all old tech... but sure, I'll race ya". And off we went. I beat him easily enough, and he complained about his broken seat.

Can't believe he went from Oshawa to Toronto with such a broken seat... but I digress.

Anyways, was a good couple of nights for seeing how fast I could go and maintain that speed in TO... But I learned not to judge by looks alone.. some people are just plain faster...

Oh, and did I mention this was on my mountain bike, while the three 'racers' were riding a single speed, a fixie, and a 10 speed?
darkpuppet,May 30 2008, 02:47 PM Wrote:So seems people are still trying to race me... I just can't escape it anymore.

So I've taken to trying to teach some lessons on how to go fast -- and yes, on our own city streets...  I apologize if this offends folks here, but I can guarantee that I wasn't putting any other motorists at risk... it was a clear stretch, sometimes with a few parked cars around.. but whatever.

The 1st two were just people going fast and toying with me -- I figured I'd give it a go.. what the hell, there weren't any other people around..

The first guy, who I thought would be an easy win because he couldn't shift gears (litterally), turned out to be the biggest threat.  He just wound her up in RPMs, and even falling in behind to grab a draft didn't keep me on his tail for long.

The 2nd guy was a similar situation... however, after speeding ahead, he peaked, and by my 3rd gear change was able to catch and pass him. 

The 3rd guy pulls up beside me lastnight, and prompts me, "so you wanna race?" to which I replied, "Isn't street racing illegal?".  He returned with, "you'll probably smoke me -- your hardware is waaay better than mine".  I countered with, "yeah, but it's all old tech... but sure, I'll race ya".  And off we went.  I beat him easily enough, and he complained about his broken seat.

Can't believe he went from Oshawa to Toronto with such a broken seat... but I digress.

Anyways, was a good couple of nights for seeing how fast I could go and maintain that speed in TO...  But I learned not to judge by looks alone.. some people are just plain faster...

Oh, and did I mention this was on my mountain bike, while the three 'racers' were riding a single speed, a fixie, and a 10 speed?
[right][snapback]265536[/snapback][/right]

LOL :D
Nice... almost makes me want to buy another bike myself...

but then I remember how big a target the bike I need makes me :ph34r:

NefCanuck
well.. at night, I ride with a 70lumen LED light (upgrading to a 500+lumen HID light soon), and a rear light with just over 2km of visibility.

Motorists and pedestrians alike tend to take pause when they're not sure if it's a cyclist or a locomotive coming at them...
interesting...lol funny how none of this ever happens to me.

p.s. puppet come to the meet on monday!
darkpuppet,May 30 2008, 03:39 PM Wrote:well.. at night, I ride with a 70lumen LED light (upgrading to a 500+lumen HID light soon), and a rear light with just over 2km of visibility. 
[right][snapback]265543[/snapback][/right]
Ricer. What next? Neons?
OAC_Sparky,May 30 2008, 04:20 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,May 30 2008, 03:39 PM Wrote:well.. at night, I ride with a 70lumen LED light (upgrading to a 500+lumen HID light soon), and a rear light with just over 2km of visibility. 
[right][snapback]265543[/snapback][/right]
Ricer. What next? Neons?
[right][snapback]265548[/snapback][/right]

nah, but if I ever lost enough weight to fit into one, I guess I'd qualify for this jersey..

[Image: poseur-J.jpg]
Well as long as you Accelerated untill reached 60 KM/Hr and then stayed at that speed I dont think it was racing at all. I do that all the time. It's only the morons who go FASTER than the posted limit that look like fools cus they end up going real fastt thinking they are all big and all racing somebody, till they realize theyre racing themself, then thats usually when the cops show up lol..