FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oil Change Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I've been reading my service manual for my 08 and it states that oil changes are to be done ever 12'000km with semi synthetic oil. I personally think that is a rather high amount of km between changes so I called my dealership and they recommend to do every 8'000km. 8'000km seems a lot better then 12'000km so I asked what the price is...$84.99 for a semi synthetic :o What the hell!if it 34.99 for a regal oil change how the hell do they expect to charge $85??? Wal-Mart charges $50 for a full synthetic (don't know if I want to take it there) Can you guys give me any advice on this or a place that does good oil changes and doesn't charge up the #ss.

Thanks in advance
DIY
Yep DIY... save money and its fun
Do it yourself, and save the receipts until the warranty is up!
And if your not the DIY type, buy the oil where its cheapest and go to Mr Lube. 34.99 for the service and it includes the filter and thay top of your windshield washer fluid. Thats what I do. But I work for Castrol and get a sweet deal on synthetic oil.
Canadian ST,May 27 2008, 10:02 AM Wrote:Well I've been reading my service manual for my 08 and it states that oil changes are to be done ever 12'000km with semi synthetic oil. I personally think that is a rather high amount of km between changes so I called my dealership and they recommend to do every 8'000km. 8'000km seems a lot better then 12'000km so I asked what the price is...$84.99 for a semi synthetic :o  What the hell!if it 34.99 for a regal oil change how the hell do they expect to charge $85??? Wal-Mart charges $50 for a full synthetic (don't know if I want to take it there) Can you guys give me any advice on this or a place that does good oil changes and doesn't charge up the #ss.

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]265180[/snapback][/right]

Costco - Castrol Semi-synthetic change with filter is 39.00. In any event, does the manual have a recommendation for "severe" usage - that's what I would go with assuming you're in GTA.
DIY ........... its easy and you know the oil filter and drain plug are torqued properly. I've used both Wally and Costco (winter changes) no probs with both ..... But now that the weather is good ...... DIY !!

Costco - Castrol Semi-synthetic change with filter is 39.00. In any event, does the manual have a recommendation for "severe" usage - that's what I would go with assuming you're in GTA.
[right][snapback]265193[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There is no severe conditions in the service manual? There was in my last two cars but not this one???? I did like haveing it done at my dealership because they always looked after me but $85 for a semisynthetic...um no. I might try it myself, what do I do with the used oil? Storm drain??? J/K :ph34r:
Focus man, Focus.,May 27 2008, 11:16 AM Wrote:And if your not the DIY type, buy the oil where its cheapest and go to Mr Lube.  34.99 for the service and it includes the filter and thay top of your windshield washer fluid.  Thats what I do.  But I work for Castrol and get a sweet deal on synthetic oil.
[right][snapback]265191[/snapback][/right]

For the love of god and all things holy PLEASE stay away from Mr. Lube.

They f*ucked up my car last time I was in there and I got ZERO compensation.
MR. LUBE SUCKS.
THEIR RESPONSE.

Please guys.
Stay away from Mr. Lube.

Canadian ST,May 27 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,May 27 2008, 11:26 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]265193[/snapback][/right]

There is no severe conditions in the service manual? There was in my last two cars but not this one???? I did like haveing it done at my dealership because they always looked after me but $85 for a semisynthetic...um no. I might try it myself, what do I do with the used oil? Storm drain??? J/K :ph34r:
[right][snapback]265200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Your municipal recycling centre should accept your old oil at no charge. Go buy a pan, two funnels and an oil filter wrench.
Well just from my own personal experience I have never had any trouble with Mr. Lube's service.
in the US walmart sells the ford OE semi synth oil for around $2.8/qt. i would definitely check them out as a source for the oil.. and get a OE filter and crush washer from the dealer

DIY would save you around $50 in this situation

EDIT: if you're concerned about the length of the oil change interval get an analysis done at a place like http://www.blackstonelabs.com best (only?) way to tell whether the change interval is appropriate
Canadian ST,May 27 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:I might try it myself, what do I do with the used oil? Storm drain??? J/K :ph34r:

I sneak over to canadian tire when theyre closed and drop off all my old oil right by the garage bays for them to pick up in the morning. When Im not super lazy, I'll bring it to the city dump (where Im supposed to bring them..lol )

i've got about 8 4L jugs of old oil now...gotta make that trip to CT soon. :ph34r:
I picked up a jug (looks like about a gallon) of Mobil 1 synthetic at CT for $28 last week, and the filter was another $6 or so. Changed it out in about 10 minutes. Heck of a lot cheaper, and I know its done properly.

Now I just have to dispose of the old.. grr.. I think I may follow Flo's lead on my next trip past a CT.. :ph34r:
Flofocus,May 27 2008, 01:42 PM Wrote:
Canadian ST,May 27 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:I might try it myself, what do I do with the used oil? Storm drain??? J/K :ph34r:

I sneak over to canadian tire when theyre closed and drop off all my old oil right by the garage bays for them to pick up in the morning. When Im not super lazy, I'll bring it to the city dump (where Im supposed to bring them..lol )

i've got about 8 4L jugs of old oil now...gotta make that trip to CT soon. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]265211[/snapback][/right]

Nice! I like it.
Im assuming that the 8000k oil change wasn't only and oil change it was probably a Maintenace #2 which should be a tire rotation also. At the dealer your not only getting an "oil change" you are getting a full inspection of your car (qc550 Check). If you plan on keeping the car for a while you will want the dealer to know you as a regular customer in the case of if you need work done outside of warranty, IE after waranty adjustments or ford participation. Just my take on it. You are buying the car for $20k or in that range, why cheap out $10 and put stuff on the car that could potentially harm the car. But I do believe that if you space out all of your services by 8000k you should be doing a tire rotation evey service to make sure your tires wear evenly,,, cause you know how foci love to eat tires.

p.s The Ford Dealer should realy be filling you washer fluid at every service.
that's a good point about dealer comping you for out of warranty stuff

that's kinda rolling the dice though isnt it?

you can do a tire rotation in 5 min with a SUV jack.. jacks up 1 side at a time :) so you can do both wheels
snorcus,May 27 2008, 02:33 PM Wrote:Im assuming that the 8000k oil change wasn't only and oil change it was probably a Maintenace #2 which should be a tire rotation also.  At the dealer your not only getting an "oil change" you are getting a full inspection of  your car (qc550 Check).  If you plan on keeping the car for a while you will want the dealer to know you as a regular customer in the case of if you need work done outside of warranty, IE after waranty adjustments or ford participation. Just my take on it. You are buying the car for $20k or in that range, why cheap out $10 and put stuff on the car that could potentially harm the car.  But I do believe that if you space out all of your services by 8000k you should be doing a tire rotation evey service to make sure your tires wear evenly,,,  cause you know how foci love to eat tires.

p.s The Ford Dealer should realy be filling you washer fluid at every service.
[right][snapback]265222[/snapback][/right]

Valid point for the tire rotation. I called 4 dealerships and asked more about the semisynthetic oil and they all recommend 8'000km or six months. As for tire rotations most said to do it evey 12'000km? So they want me to bring my car in between oil changes?! I talked to a guy at Discovery Ford and they seemed to have the most knowledge on oil change intervals and so on. They said they would do a "spring check" that includes a oil change (semi synthetic)and rotation and multi point check for $65.00. Thats still alot of money but its $30 cheaper then what Easatgate would charge for the same thing, and I bought three cars from them. Bottom line it will cost more, Easatgate sucks balls.
If you look in your warranty manual it will explain that there are in fact two service schedules. Normal and Severe Service.

Based on the type of driving you do you might get away with 6 months / 12,000 KM if you're doing mostly highway stuff with little stop & go or extended idling periods.

In my case my driving falls into the severe category so its 6 months / 8,000 KM.

Probably going to switch to a closer local Ford dealer for servicing once the first service is due on the Fusion in October (I have Whiteoak less than five minutes from my place)

NefCanuck
Canadian ST,May 27 2008, 07:39 PM Wrote:As for tire rotations most said to do it evey 12'000km? So they want me to bring my car in between oil changes?!
[right][snapback]265231[/snapback][/right]

yes that its the 'typical' rotation interval that most people use. you won't 'hurt' anything by rotating sooner (ie every oil change) other than your wallet.. most places charge $25 for a tire rotation
Pages: 1 2