FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2002 Svt Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The time has come for me give up the car hobby, so the Focus has to go.

What it needs:

Clutch... It's gone, finished...
Both bumpers repaired/replaced (Rear bumper is cracked from encounter, with a snow bank. And the front is a botched repair from a previous owner.)
Right front rim, car had a close encounter of the pot hole kind

The car has 147,000 on the clock....

Kindly don't laugh at this... I need to get at least $9000, because it is financed and that is the balance owing. Either that or take over the payments.
Just for your own info, I just imported an 03 SVT from Milwaukee, I paid $8000US, and it was MINT!!! I wish you all the best with the sale, but really might want to rethink the price,
laidman,May 23 2008, 08:26 PM Wrote:Just for your own info, I just imported an 03 SVT from Milwaukee, I paid $8000US, and it was MINT!!!  I wish you all the best with the sale, but really might want to rethink the price,
[right][snapback]265007[/snapback][/right]

Not trying to be a dick... I know the price is out of line but.

1. I'm broke, and I'm trying to avoid having the car repo'd.
2. I can't sell the car for less than that, because the finance company will not release it for less

And to be honest, the more I look at this stupid thing, the more having it repo'd looks good.
Someguy_ca,May 23 2008, 10:08 PM Wrote:
laidman,May 23 2008, 08:26 PM Wrote:Just for your own info, I just imported an 03 SVT from Milwaukee, I paid $8000US, and it was MINT!!!  I wish you all the best with the sale, but really might want to rethink the price,

2. I can't sell the car for less than that, because the finance company will not release it for less

And to be honest, the more I look at this stupid thing, the more having it repo'd looks good.
[right][snapback]265008[/snapback][/right]

Ill buy the rims, if your going to get it repo'd anyways.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Best of luck with the sale.
bumper repair and replacement is very pricey. You are looking at at least 200 for each bumper and 300 to get each painted. a single rim is very hard to find so chances are you'll have to buy an entire new set. So you are looking at another 2 grand to get that thing back to normal. Thats not even inculding the clutch....i understand your situtation but you must lower the price.
Just a bit of "fatherly" advice, take it FWIW and no offense intended.

Next to nobody is going to overpay for the car simply because you're in a bind. The repairs needed to the car are not just the cosmetic type -- so not only are you asking for someone to overpay for the car, they'll have to do some expensive repairs as well.

So if you are truly in a bind, your best bet is to price it "reasonable" to market conditions, and beg/borrow/steal the balance to what you owe to the finance company. The don't care as long as they get their money.

If you don't realize what they'll do if they repo it, they'll take the car, sell it at auction and come after you for the outstanding balance anyways. It's not like they take the car and you're even-stevens. What they'll get at auction will be likely not be as much as what you'll get pricing it reasonably -- so you'll still owe the same AND you credit rating will be destroyed.

And while I'm not sure how old you are -- but I was in dire straits when I was young too. And TRUST ME, repairing a bad credit rating will take longer and cost way more in the long run than the $2-3000 you're short now.

Like I said, no offense. I know it would suck still paying on a car you don't own, but sometimes it's better than the alternative. Good luck.
Someguy_ca,May 23 2008, 10:08 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]265008[/snapback][/right]

My cousin had his camaro repo'd he still owed 20K on it, the car sold for $15K at auction. He was on the hook with collection agencies for the remaining 5K + interest. It haunted him for a long time until he could pay it off. In the end I think he ended up paying $15K out of his own picket due to penalties, etc.
Good luck with the sale. Just take the rims out and that way they can't tow it away :)
Just an update. I do have a job, so the car has now crossed into the trade in status... Yes I know I'm going to get squat for it... But live and learn, and don't buy another SVT Focus.
wow that really sucks bro but u don't break even with cars in that condition u'll be lucky to get 5'gs and u'll have to lose the difference
It's better than fixing it, and waiting for the next thing to break.
Someguy_ca,May 26 2008, 11:16 PM Wrote:Just an update. I do have a job, so the car has now crossed into the trade in status... Yes I know I'm going to get squat for it... But live and learn, and don't buy another SVT Focus.
[right][snapback]265164[/snapback][/right]

Other than post a car f/s I know you haven't actually asked for our advice ... but it seems you're in a bind and perhaps could use some. Like sparky said, no offense meant - FWIW take it or leave it.

In the car business you're what's called being upside down ... owing more than a car is worth ... in your case made worse by the repairs needed.

One solution (not usually recommended BTW but could be valuable in your case) is in fact to buy a new car ... get them to take your SVT in trade and give you what you owe so you can pay off the SVT loan. The difference between what the car is really worth and what they are "giving" you in trade is then tacked on to the price of the new car, to be financed on the loan of the new car. For example - they show the 9000 as trade and payout the loan, but really only give you 5500 for the car - the difference is 3500. This would work more to your advantage if the new car is say a Focus with 0% financing.

This would obviously have the effect of seriously overpaying for the new car, but at least the payments will be on a vehicle that is in good working condition and under warranty - and it will give you some breathing room to get your finances in order.

The key to making this work is to be very sensible and conservative about your choice of new car ... the idea is to keep the payments as low as conceivably possible considering you will be financing a few extra thousands of dollars.

On a sixty month loan (5 years) at 0% calculate an extra $20 per month on the loan payment for every $1000 owing ... so if you're upside down to the tune of 3500 bucks, that's $70 per month just to take care of the amount owing on the old car.

BTW - if you haven't already, you should ask the finance company for the payout amount ... unless the loan is at 0% it will be less than the sum of the payments still owing, as you will get a break on the interest. This is the first step to solving your problem - identifying exactly how big it is.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Cheers.
if ur looking to remove a couple things ill buy the stock sub enclosure
I feel bad for your car.
ZX3_2NV,May 27 2008, 03:19 PM Wrote:wow that really sucks bro but u don't break even with cars in that condition u'll be lucky to get 5'gs and u'll have to lose the difference
[right][snapback]265248[/snapback][/right]

5 grand?

seller let me know when the price is about there, ima come the same day and pick it up
Fixing and trading on a GTP Comp-G... Which means I'm looking for a good deal on a clutch and flywheel (re: cheap).
Someguy_ca,Jun 24 2008, 04:48 AM Wrote:Fixing and trading on a GTP Comp-G... Which means I'm looking for a good deal on a clutch and flywheel (re: cheap).
[right][snapback]267687[/snapback][/right]
look on kijiji london or toronto.. i think there were some on there.
Cool, thanks.
If you still haven't traded this car in, and are going to. I'll give you 200 bucks over the trade in they are giving you.

Don't try to BS me what they are giving you, it takes 2 minutes to find out.

Call me at 613 262 6269 and we'll talk.
Pages: 1 2