FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2011 Ford Edge Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2011edge000opta.jpg]

As dutiful American consumers, we've been taught to believe that choice is good. To that end, the splintering of the automotive market into different niches (four-door coupes, small panel vans, high-riding hatchbacks, etc.) is a positive development for buyers. But while the range of total models from automakers has been increasing, individual variation within a given model range has seemingly been reigned in, from a drastic reduction in build combinations of light-duty pickups to the availability of engines and ala carte options in everyday vehicles. Standing in direct contrast to this trend, however, is the 2011 Ford Edge crossover.

Whereas the first-generation Edge has lived since 2006 with a 3.5-liter V6 as its sole drivetrain, the 2011 model will offer no fewer than three powertrain choices. For 2011, the 3.5-liter engine will live on as the Edge line's bread-and-butter, but it is being joined by Ford's first production application of a new EcoBoost 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo, as well as the larger 3.7-liter V6 for the popular Edge Sport. In the case of the 3.5-liter, it produces 285 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque, while the Sport's larger 3.7 Ti-VCT V6 delivers 305 ponies and 280 torques on 87 octane. Ford is not yet releasing power and economy numbers on the EcoBoost engine, but it promises "class-leading" fuel efficiency, noting that the new powertrain should eclipse the original 2006 Edge by some 30 percent.

2011 Ford Edge Gallery

[Image: 2011edgesport000opt.jpg]

Where the outgoing Sport model was largely a trim-and-tape proposition, the new model has a better shot at living up to its name – not only because it offers more power than other models in the range, but also because it has standard paddle-shifters, bespoke suspension settings and those cartoon-proportion 22-inch wheels and tires. Incidentally, in case you were wondering, Ford promises that the powertrain will happily hover at the redline when in manual 'Selectshift' mode without upshifting, a common performance bugbear. In addition to the altered oily bits, the Sport receives the usual complement of performance cues including a blacked-out grille, smoked head- and taillamp units, chrome oval exhausts, as well as a brace of body color parts (door cladding, rockers and fascias).

The Blue Oval has begun to make a habit of surprisingly comprehensive refreshes, and not just with sheetmetal and powertrain choices. To that end, the Edge receives a new interior with massive improvements in available technology (MyFord Touch), design and material choices. Even though the Edge won't debut here in Chicago for a few hours, we've already had the chance to sit in its interior, and it represents a massive improvement, particularly the better integrated center stack. We still found a few discount touches (hard plastics on the tops of the doors and somewhat cheap-feeling power lock, window and mirror switches), but on the whole, we feel comfortable saying that the new accommodations will place the Edge at or near the top of the mid-size CUV heap, particularly in light of its massive options list.

We've always liked the Edge's useful size and modern looks, but handling could be a bit stiff-legged, particularly with the Sport model's larger wheels. Ford says it has not only revisited all of its suspension settings, it has incorporated new subframe mounts to improve handling and minimize NVH issues. We look forward to verifying Ford's claims ahead of its rollout into dealers this summer.

2011 Ford Edge SPORT Gallery
That sporty version looks great son.....Wish it came with like Brembos or something to give it that look like SRT-8 or big calipers on TrailBlazer
Question for the Oakville boys or other Ford employees. Say I wanted to pre order one of these as soon as the options and pricing are realesed. Is there any discount/benefits on doing so?
ZX3_2NV,Feb 10 2010, 09:57 AM Wrote:Question for the Oakville boys or other Ford employees. Say I wanted to pre order one of these as soon as the options and pricing are realesed. Is there any discount/benefits on doing so?
[right][snapback]301038[/snapback][/right]

No special discount/benefit in pre-ordering. We built a few more of these yesterday. Tail lights look better also.

[Image: 03edgesportchicago.jpg]
[Image: 2011edge034.jpg]
I liked it when it first came out, I love it now. That red is HOT. I drive Grammas every chance I get.

She has 2 bad hips so I am trying to convince her to drop it, for easy entry and exit of course. :rolleyes:
ZX3_2NV,Feb 10 2010, 09:57 AM Wrote:Question for the Oakville boys or other Ford employees. Say I wanted to pre order one of these as soon as the options and pricing are realesed. Is there any discount/benefits on doing so?
Wait a year at least brah........As soon as you take Ford out of dealer's lot it drops like 5gz right there right then :D
NikiterZTS,Feb 10 2010, 12:34 PM Wrote:
Wait a year at least brah........As soon as you take Ford out of dealer's lot it drops like 5gz right there right then :D
[right][snapback]301056[/snapback][/right]

20% on most cars.
CanadaSVT,Feb 10 2010, 12:40 PM Wrote:

20% on most cars.
[right][snapback]301059[/snapback][/right]

i have a feeling that I will never buy a brand new car.....
NikiterZTS,Feb 10 2010, 12:54 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Feb 10 2010, 12:40 PM Wrote:

20% on most cars.
[right][snapback]301059[/snapback][/right]

i have a feeling that I will never buy a brand new car.....
[right][snapback]301063[/snapback][/right]

Same here. Unless it starts with a L, F,or a K and goes like Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!
This revision is awesome! I love the EDGE, but this is a great step forward!
This makes my new car search a lot easier.
Warranty Runs out June 2011on the foci Time for an Edge (and liely a kid???), that Sport is sharp love the interior just as much as the exterior.
David
The red one is nice . I might consider one if it came with manual transmission
I like but wow does that steering wheel have a hell of a lot of buttons :ph34r:

All the better for a guy like me though, but Ford sure has come a long way from the days when their steering wheel didn't have a horn pad and you had to push in a lever to get the horn to work (Early 80's idea, it died the death it deserved :P)

NefCanuck
NikiterZTS,Feb 10 2010, 12:54 PM Wrote:i have a feeling that I will never buy a brand new car.....
[right][snapback]301063[/snapback][/right]
Buying a new car isn't for people that like to flip their cars a lot.

Personally I buy a car and keep it at least 5 years. That's about where:

1) The warranty runs out
2) it's been paid for a year and
3) the cost of owning it is marginal
4) and it's still worth something.

Example:
'05 Focus ST
5 years old, stock worth $7G
Paid $23G (not counting trade in)
23-7= 16G
Cost of ownership (purchase not upkeep) 16G/5=$3200/year or $61/week for a new car.
140,000km know the warranty history, what's been replaced, how it was driven.

Of course, I have 3 cars, two '05s and an '08 so it's what works for me. See, I paid off the Focus in 4 years and the car payment I was making is accumulating in the bank, by the time I'm ready to buy again the new car will be half paid for.

Depreciation only affects people that need to buy a new car and trade it in every 2-3 years.
NefCanuck,Feb 10 2010, 08:05 PM Wrote:All the better for a guy like me though, but Ford sure has come a long way from the days when their steering wheel didn't have a horn pad and you had to push in a lever to get the horn to work (Early 80's idea, it died the death it deserved :P)
[right][snapback]301117[/snapback][/right]
Well, at least you didn't accidently honk your horn. Some older Fords like my Dads old Cougar had the horn in the grip of the steering wheel.

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/70rimbloresto.html

To blow the horn you had to press on the black rubber on the inside of the wheel's rim. Until it got old and the contacts would get stuck...
Actually Matt, when you look at lease versus buy on a brand new car, 7 years is the mark.
Own longer than 7 years? Buy it. Less than 7---Lease it.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 10 2010, 09:37 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Feb 10 2010, 08:05 PM Wrote:All the better for a guy like me though, but Ford sure has come a long way from the days when their steering wheel didn't have a horn pad and you had to push in a lever to get the horn to work (Early 80's idea, it died the death it deserved :P)
[right][snapback]301117[/snapback][/right]
Well, at least you didn't accidently honk your horn. Some older Fords like my Dads old Cougar had the horn in the grip of the steering wheel.

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/70rimbloresto.html

To blow the horn you had to press on the black rubber on the inside of the wheel's rim. Until it got old and the contacts would get stuck...
[right][snapback]301124[/snapback][/right]

Wow... who was the soul who thought of that idea? Might wanna hit them with a clue by four covered in nails :D

Amazing how far we've come in terms of usability though (although some might argue that there are now too many things that the driver can "easily" use close at hand)

I say screw 'em :P

NefCanuck
A red Sport went through yesterday. Lots of people liking it.

Nice touch:
[Image: 2011edgesport013.jpg]
Gabriel,Feb 10 2010, 07:35 PM Wrote:The red one is nice . I might consider one if it came with manual transmission
[right][snapback]301107[/snapback][/right]

The sport actually comes with paddle shift and does not auto shift if your redlining it so hey it should be an option.

I'll be looking for a new or slightly used vehicle in the early summer and hey if this is priced right and the ecoboost 2.0 comes 4wd It will be at the top of the list.

Any chance it made it the the Toronto Auto Show?