FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help! Need A Job!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I need some direction in finding employment! Can anyone recommend some good "temp agencies" or know of any companies hiring?

I have a bachelor's degree from York and getting my Masters next spring. I can't seem to find any decent jobs with future growth prospects. I'm looking for entry level positions within Bell, Rogers, Banks (ie. bank teller), or other large companies. I've even applied to Mr. Lube for past 2 years and no call backs.

I've been doing nothing but minimum wage jobs as sales at retail stores for years.
Now I see young highschool students getting paid the same or more than me at these jobs so I know its time for me to look for something bigger.

Thanks in advance,

What's your degree in? Will you be doing your Masters full time or while you continue to work?
what field do you have experiance working in, also what location are you looking to work?

Can you speak english/french? Do you have your Canadian passport?
If you were out Hamilton way I could help you with a job at a steel mill. Pays good but its entry level
Sorry not bilingual here. My degree is in Geography and unfortunately nobody told me you'd get next to nothing with that degree except eligibility into Teacher's College lol.

Geography is a great subject, it's too bad it's not specific like say, "accounting" --> accounting job or "registered nurse" --> nursing job.

Some general labour jobs can pay really really well but I'm looking long-term to build/grow a career too. I guess I could always stick with retail like sell shoes and try to work my way up to asst. mngr or manager one day....

I really feel stupid for spending 4-6 years studying in university paying $30K in tuition fees and at the end of it all come out with nothing but minimum wage paying jobs that any kid off the street can apply for too.

I've always preferred college programs because they teach you EXACTLY what you need to know for the job you are GOING to get. I think with University, it's more general/broad information and you have to pretty much plan on going to Law School, MBA or Teacher's college etc to get anything out of a BA degree.

Well....i'll still be looking around.
as for my experience....basically retail/sales or general labour...all minimum wage pretty much (at least that's going up lol). I've worked short stints at Radio Shack, Reebok, Futureshop, Pharma Plus, Mad Science, car jockey, 2-weeks at a factory that made me sneeze blue stuff out of my nose at the end of the day (for $8/hr), and truck driver ($10.50/hr).

From 2001 to 2008, i've managed to improve my wages from $6.85/hr (when that was minimum wage) up to $10.50/hr (my current part-time job). yay -.-

Meanwhile my buddies who never went to university or college are making $18-30/hr at their jobs. wow. -.-
Its weird I'm not working in the field I went to school for (the first time), I guess you just go were life takes you. If something comes up at work (training courses or part time management take it) You never know what it will lead to. I would say about half of the people I work with don't have Post Secondary education but the experience they have justifies the $30+ a hour
You have a degree, which as you've pointed out, really only has a future in education or meteorology or such.

Have you considered being an Education assistant? It involves working with special needs children. It will mean more schooling (night and correspondence) but some boards will hire you while you take your schooling. Starting rate is $14 an hour as an on-call sub, gets to $20 when you're full time with benefits and the same schedule as a teacher (ie summers off). It's also an inroad into a teaching position.

Being a male, your chances are good, because they need male EAs, it's one of the few jobs that is sort of reverse-discrimination.

Check into it if you're interested.
Don’t sell yourself too short. Universities don’t just give you a degree and send you on your way. They teach you how to manage your time, deal with pressure, teach you the ability to solve problems…these are a few things that come to mind at the moment. All these come in handy in a day to day job. You took something that might not come to full use at the moment, but lots of companies are looking for post secondary education. Doesn’t really matter what it might be, but just post secondary.

I’ll keep my eye open in my company (http://snclavalinprofac.com/en/index.html)for some sort of environmental position. We just hired a guy couple of weeks ago. I would also talk to my wife and see if there is any position in her company (http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/lenovo/about/jobs.html) that you can start with. I know they do require post secondary education for even an entry level.

I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Good luck on your search,

Mo
Yaaaarrrrrrrrrr I've got a job for ye says I. Have you ever been to sea Billy? It's like being in jail with the added bonus that you could possibly drown. I've got guys working for me with only a grade 11 Newfoundland education pulling in 6 figures.
Basically the most important thing when looking for a job is making sure its a JOB that YOU like, Regardless of the PAY. In time, your pay will Increase and you will move up if you focus on your job. I heard most people expect they'll find a 40-50K job just like that fresh out of university, but its not quite that easy. I've gotten far but I've had to work for 2 years of being bossed arround, now I boss arround others..
2001 ZTS,May 17 2008, 10:01 AM Wrote:Yaaaarrrrrrrrrr I've got a job for ye says I. Have you ever been to sea Billy? It's like being in jail with the added bonus that you could possibly drown. I've got guys working for me with only a grade 11 Newfoundland education pulling in 6 figures.
[right][snapback]264548[/snapback][/right]

Salvage or Comm Diving? Nead a crane operator :lol: :ph34r:
paolo,May 17 2008, 10:31 AM Wrote:Basically the most important thing when looking for a job is making sure its a JOB that YOU like, Regardless of the PAY.  In time, your pay will Increase and you will move up if you focus on your job.    I heard most people expect they'll find a 40-50K job just like that fresh out of university, but its not quite that easy. I've gotten far but I've had to work for 2 years of being bossed arround, now I boss arround others..
[right][snapback]264555[/snapback][/right]

Its true, if you can find a job you like you will be able to advance quicker because you enjoy it. I went through the same thing when I first started but its starting to paying off now.
Become a gigalo. Depends where you are but I'm sure there's lots of old fat women who like to be pleasured...

Seriously though, what did you start your education with the plan of going into. I started University with the plan of becoming a Psychologist but then I realized that i didn't want to sit at a desk all day and listen to people's problems. I drove truck for a few years, started working at a friends restaurant at night, after a year, I went and did my pre apprenticeship training as a chef, I did 3 years of work and schooling in that industry, never made decent money and finally got out of it after a chef threw a frying pan at me.

I got into the industrial supply world through a contact from my driving days. No experience in it but there was decent money to be had. Now I'm a heavy duty equipment parts man. Once again, no formal schooling but on the job training and I make more than i ever would've as a chef.

I supplement that with being a weekend dj at a bar and bar tending once in a while.

Think long and hard about what you want to do with your life. Do you want manage in retail when you're in your mid 30's making $14-16 an hour with little to no benefits?

Also, another suggestion I will give you is to not choose a job/career that you enjoy as a hobby. I loved to cook for friends, I became a chef, now, I rarely cook because I got sick of doing it. A friend of mine loved tinkering on old cars, he got a job in a shop and became a licensed mechanic, he makes great money but hates his job with a passion, drives the biggest pece of s*** car of anybody we know and is grumpy as all hell. God help somebody if they ask him a question about cars.