FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Now Mazda5 (kia Rondo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With gas prices climbing, the wifey and I are looking for a more economical family vehicle than our 2004 Freestar Sport. It's got the nice big 4.2L V6, traction control, etc... But, it cost me over $90 to fill it the other day.

So, we've started looking. We are still making payments on the van, and we want to get something in the same payment range. This is where the Rondo comes in. We've been looking at the 7-passenger with leather, and just with the 2.4L 4-cyl (162 hp, not too shabby!).

Does anybody have any experience with them? Anybody know of anybody that has had problems with one?

Disclaimer: I have looked at the Mazda5, but it doesn't give the same utility, pricing is too high, and the warranty sucks comparatively. I'm also not interested in a small SUV/CUV, as I will never need/want AWD and fuel economy is the goal here, not traction/performance. :)

TIA!

Ryan
reldridge,May 13 2008, 03:33 PM Wrote:With gas prices climbing, the wifey and I are looking for a more economical family vehicle than our 2004 Freestar Sport. It's got the nice big 4.2L V6, traction control, etc... But, it cost me over $90 to fill it the other day.

So, we've started looking. We are still making payments on the van, and we want to get something in the same payment range. This is where the Rondo comes in. We've been looking at the 7-passenger with leather, and just with the 2.4L 4-cyl (162 hp, not too shabby!).

Does anybody have any experience with them? Anybody know of anybody that has had problems with one?

Disclaimer: I have looked at the Mazda5, but it doesn't give the same utility, pricing is too high, and the warranty sucks comparatively. I'm also not interested in a small SUV/CUV, as I will never need/want AWD and fuel economy is the goal here, not traction/performance. :)

TIA!

Ryan
[right][snapback]264286[/snapback][/right]

Motoring 2008 had one in their test fleet for a year, and they said it was a great car with only 2 problems, one was the cup holders, and the other was something related to faulty headlight switch, but they recommended the Rondo, though they did mention that the one downside of the Rondo was it's resale value. but otherwise good marks all around.
my uncle has one and he loves it and looks good to for a van type
ZX3_2NV,May 13 2008, 05:05 PM Wrote:my uncle has one and he loves it and looks good to for a van type
[right][snapback]264298[/snapback][/right]

My buddie Reberto also has one .
He use to be on this site but was banned;(
random thought.. have you thought about a scion xB? it is pretty spacious in there.. if you don't need the 3rd row seat it could fit the bill (cheap, big-ish, good on gas)

EDIT: especially the old car with 1.5L motor should be awesome on gas
Did some reading on Canadiandriver.com. searched for the Rondo under test drives. The test driver seemed pleased. Although, I always took my three kids with me when we went looking at vehicles, to see how they fit it in. Do you need the third row of seats? If not, look for a ZTW?
naz,May 13 2008, 07:28 PM Wrote:random thought.. have you thought about a scion xB?  it is pretty spacious in there.. if you don't need the 3rd row seat it could fit the bill  (cheap, big-ish, good on gas)

[right][snapback]264302[/snapback][/right]

Naz, The Scion Brand in not sold in Canada, unless it's imported from the US, and when they Import them the options offered to Canadians are Very limited, and there is usually upto $5000 mark up on them, not to mention most of the ones imported are used.
Frost__2001,May 15 2008, 02:24 AM Wrote:
naz,May 13 2008, 07:28 PM Wrote:random thought.. have you thought about a scion xB?  it is pretty spacious in there.. if you don't need the 3rd row seat it could fit the bill  (cheap, big-ish, good on gas)

[right][snapback]264302[/snapback][/right]

Naz, The Scion Brand in not sold in Canada, unless it's imported from the US, and when they Import them the options offered to Canadians are Very limited, and there is usually upto $5000 mark up on them, not to mention most of the ones imported are used.
[right][snapback]264392[/snapback][/right]

hmm didn't no that. no wonder i never saw them in toronto. if others have imported them that means the safety and emissions paperwork has already been filed. you should be able to import easily yourself
I know Tony Graham Toyota here in Ottawa imports Scions (xBs mainly), but charges an arm and a leg. The TC and xA don't meet Canadian crash testing from what I've read.

As far as a ZXW, I'd love it, but I need something bigger, and something to haul 7 if absolutely necessary (the wife likes to take people with us EVERYWHERE we go... ;))

Ryan
reldridge,May 15 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:haul 7 if absolutely necessary
[right][snapback]264408[/snapback][/right]

do they sell VW vans in canada? the xb is a 5 seater so i guess that doesn't work for you.

i recently sat in a friend's old VW camper van that that thing was AWESOME. we had 6 people fit comfortably, there were tables to put drinks on etc.. it was great. i really liked the simplicity and functionality of the design

as plus the air cooled boxer engine sounded fantastic
naz,May 16 2008, 06:21 PM Wrote:

do they sell VW vans in canada? the xb is a 5 seater so i guess that doesn't work for you.

i recently sat in a friend's old VW camper van that that thing was AWESOME. we had 6 people fit comfortably, there were tables to put drinks on etc.. it was great. i really liked the simplicity and functionality of the design

[right][snapback]264522[/snapback][/right]

Sounded fantasic maybe... but moved the thing about as fast as a glacier no? :huh:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 17 2008, 12:21 AM Wrote:
naz,May 16 2008, 06:21 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]264522[/snapback][/right]

Sounded fantasic maybe... but moved the thing about as fast as a glacier no? :huh:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]264540[/snapback][/right]

Not to mention the fact I was trying to get AWAY from a minivan... :D

So, went and talked numbers with the dealer. Let's just say that they didn't want to sell me a Rondo too bad. They offered me roughly half of what I owe on my van for it. WTF??? We figured it out, and if we took their offer, we'd save a total of $1000 a year, and that is if they fuel savings are what we think they would be. If our calculation is wrong, or we don't need to have the Focus & Freestar both on the road at the same time, then it's not worth it.

So, looks like we're holding onto the van for now...

Ryan
call around. i can't imagine a kia will be that hot of a seller you can't get a smokin deal on it
The Rondo was actually the number 2 selling Kia behind the Rio for April, selling over 1000 units in Canada in April alone.

Quote:Rio - 1086
Spectra - 460
Magentis - 123
Amanti - 19
Rondo - 1039
Sportage - 541
Sorento - 136
Sedona - 315

Now the wife is checking out every Toyota Matrix that we see on the highway... :rolleyes:

Ryan
reldridge,May 21 2008, 12:19 PM Wrote:Now the wife is checking out every Toyota Matrix that we see on the highway...  :rolleyes:

Ryan
[right][snapback]264754[/snapback][/right]

hey if 5 seater hatches are on the table then a whole bunch of cool sh1t is available to you... that's a good development
Ok, now looking at the Mazda5... Anybody have any opinions?

Ryan
a friend just got the honda fit. neat car with a very flexible interior design. good on gas too

PS i think getting a car for gas savings alone it kinda dumb.
It's too bad you need more than 5 seats, cause a FWD 4-cyl XLT Escape would do you nicely. Hell, a Hybrid would do you ever better! Lots of cargo space, roof racks for extras, decent equipment with the XLT trim line and decent value too!

Go XLS FWD 4-cyl if you want the "cheapest" solution... but really, a 4WD XLT 4-cyl won't be that much more on gas and you never know when you'll need 4WD.
it cost me today $50 to fill La Focus
How about a Jeep Patriot or Compass? I can't help it's a jeep thing
Pages: 1 2 3