FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: It's Official - I'm A Has-been
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Focus was dropped off today at Stockfish Ford. I covered the remainder of the buyout and let it go.

I didn't have a choice, really. I don't need two car payments right now OR two cars.

On the other hand, the G/F and I have a new dog! Meet Tank!

[Image: th_DSC_0100.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0148.jpg]

So, on that note, the RX-8 may be going away as well. He just doesn't fit and you know what? A car is just a car. We drive them, we mod them, we even love them... but we still lose money on them from day 1. We love the Focus (to varying degrees) as members here but it's still just a car.

Right now I'm considering a small SUV (Escape, etc) as he'll fit nicely in the back with a dog cage up and it'll let us camp easier. Also, on the camping note, we might not be coming :(

If anyone wants my completely pre-paid site, PM me. I'll check into how to turn it over to someone else with Ontario Parks in the meantime.

I'm not going anywhere, tho - you guys don't get off that light!

NOS
NOS2Go4Me,May 12 2008, 11:47 PM Wrote:So, on that note, the RX-8 may be going away as well. He just doesn't fit and you know what? A car is just a car.
[right][snapback]264188[/snapback][/right]

congrats on the new family member. look cute!!!

glad you are sticking around the forum

you HAVE to take a look at a wagon from zee gehrmahns (ie V8 S4 avant) or even a saabaru 92-X aero. its great to be able to haul a$$ at the track when you are not hauling ppl/pets/cargo... sport wagons are just the ticket :D
Get a roof rack and a good dog cage and a dozen bungie cords :P , no need to get rid of a nice car for a suv.
I'll take your site.
gonna miss ya at the camping trip. Good luck with the new puppy!
I vote for the MazdaSpeed3... :)

If you don't need an SUV, I'd check out the Mazda5. We've been tossing it and the Kia Rondo around to replace our Freestar so we can save some gas. Both drive pretty fun, but not quite an RX-8...

Ryan
Mazda 5!
I found a good deal on a US-spec Ford Escape Limited actually (at Stockfish), wicked price and really low KMs. I think I might send them looking for one that has the sat nav (once you drive a car with one built-in, everything changes) but with the Limited trim.

Our dealer here is doing an awful lot of US importing and I tend to trust their stock. I'm leaning toward the Escape as I can trailer at least a small boat with it / utility trailer and it's still going to be half-decent on gas.
NOS2Go4Me,May 13 2008, 01:37 PM Wrote:I found a good deal on a US-spec Ford Escape Limited actually (at Stockfish), wicked price and really low KMs. I think I might send them looking for one that has the sat nav (once you drive a car with one built-in, everything changes) but with the Limited trim.

Our dealer here is doing an awful lot of US importing and I tend to trust their stock. I'm leaning toward the Escape as I can trailer at least a small boat with it / utility trailer and it's still going to be half-decent on gas.
[right][snapback]264241[/snapback][/right]

wait for the new Escape. 09's are coming with 3.0L 6spd auto. I was actually looking for the 04 escape replacement as well, and i was looking at the edge, but then i changed my mind when i saw the new engine in the Escape. NEw engine puts out 30-40 more hp then before and its 6spd auto so its better on gas then the previous 4spd auto. Trust me, you dont want the 4spd auto.

On the side note, PM me with the best deal you can get a used Escape for and i bet my dad can do better. Let me know.
The Escape LTD is sweet....I especially like the cosmetics of the 05-07 on the outside, and still like the seats and interiors of them too. They can tow a small trailer or boat with the optional tow-package, steer and handle well for what they are, brake fairly well for their weight, and the 3.0L in the first 2 generations provides decent power for what it's propelling. If I were looking at an SUV, the Escape would be my #1 first choice. My roomate has an 03 Limited with all the toys, the MACH stereo (all JBL, with a sub in the back too), Rear backup assist, leathers, selectable 4wd (4x4 ON or just Auto), etc. It's like a poor-man's mini navigator (especially being black on black).

Besides the Escape, I also like the Edge a lot in terms of CUV, and there are parts of the Ottawa Valley (like in Pembroke for example...) that are having a really hard time selling Edges, and are willing to provide lots of purchase incentives. I would maybe consider looking at an 07 SEL or SEL PLUS AWD, only because the 08 Limited's with the 20" Chrome rims and Pirelli Tires and whatnot are big money (Over $40,000, WITHOUT the Vista roof or the Sat NAV).

Good luck, and let us know what you decide...
NOS2Go4Me,May 13 2008, 09:37 AM Wrote:I found a good deal on a US-spec Ford Escape Limited actually (at Stockfish), wicked price and really low KMs. I think I might send them looking for one that has the sat nav (once you drive a car with one built-in, everything changes) but with the Limited trim.

[right][snapback]264241[/snapback][/right]

I think the Escape is a nice small SUV, we had one for 1 week when the car was getting fixed. Its a lot bigger on the inside than it looks. It was good on gas for an SUV. Iwould get the AWD model if you could.
Me and the wife have an 08' Escape. In terms of hauling stuff around or just doing things it suits us perfectly and they come pretty nicely equipped for a "smaller" SUV.
I'm hoping for either a XLT AWD with Nav or a Limited AWD, possibly even with Nav.

It looks like it'll be black (or black pearl met.) on beige or black, too.

The Edge... I'm starting to appreciate them more but I'm not interested in a new one unless I lease. Right now it's looking like I'll be getting an 07-08 USDM Escape unless things change. The Edge is just too much for what I need right now.

I know the 09 Escapes are bringing a 6-speed autobox and a stronger 3.0L Duratec, but I've read up on the 4-speeds and they're pretty competent performers. There's always something new right around the corner in the auto world :P

Thanks for the support on my defection fellas :D I'd stay with a Focus but really it just doesn't "work" for me anymore. That's sad in a way, cause I've had two of them. :(
We had a Briard (aka Buck from Married with Children) and he fit in the wagon just fine, and he was way bigger than your new guy. So really there is still a Focus available to you.
NOS2Go4Me,May 14 2008, 11:45 AM Wrote:I know the 09 Escapes are bringing a 6-speed autobox and a stronger 3.0L Duratec, but I've read up on the 4-speeds and they're pretty competent performers.
[right][snapback]264319[/snapback][/right]

you need to drive the vehicle before making any decisions.. some magazine writers have not clue what is a 'competent performer' .. for example many of them are blown away by a stock '02 wrx but in reality its performance is barely adequate
I'm not sure I could do another Focus, really.

It's hard to explain. It's not that I think I'm any "better" than a Focus...