FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Air Filter Question And Maybe Intake?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the '05 ST have a washable air filter? the guy at my local napa says it comes up "not required" when he searches for aftermarket ones. Are there any good high flow paper filters if they do make aftermarket? or am i better off going to a K&N?
Also does anyone know what kind of performance improvement i would get from adding a cold air intake? a couple kids at work want to throw one on for me, but im not sure. I dont want to sink alot into it, so are there any suggestions for a decent cheap cost intake?

On a side note, i just noticed today that my under hood fuse box has an "authorized modification" sticker on it that has "updated pcm" hand written on it. I have no idea what that means.

thank you
williswrath,May 8 2008, 12:16 AM Wrote:Does the '05 ST have a washable air filter? the guy at my local napa says it comes up "not required" when he searches for aftermarket ones. Are there any good high flow paper filters if they do make aftermarket? or am i better off going to a K&N?[right][snapback]263834[/snapback][/right]

Your '05 has a long life filter that isn't seviceable, you have to replace the whole assembly. When you have the hood up, on the right hand side of the engine bay you will see a small indicator on the side of the box, when the engine is running, if the needle goes to the red then it's plugged and time to replace it -- the unit costs about $350 but luckily it lasts 100,000-150,000 km.

Quote:Also does anyone know what kind of performance improvement i would get from adding a cold air intake? a couple kids at work want to throw one on for me, but im not sure. I dont want to sink alot into it, so are there any suggestions for a decent cheap cost intake?
Not enormous amounts, but some, between 5-10HP. There is really no such thing as a cheap CAI unless you make it yourself. A few of us have Steeda SRI (Short Ram Intake) but they're pricey at $240.60CAD

Steeda SRI

Quote:On a side note, i just noticed today that my under hood fuse box has an "authorized modification" sticker on it that has "updated pcm" hand written on it. I have no idea what that means.
Your PCM is your Powertrain Control Module -- the dealership can update the engine controls by "flashing" the computer that controls your engine. Since the 2.3L in the ST was somewhat new at the time there were a few software revisions made to the PCM that year; the sticker is just an indication to other dealers that the PCM caries a later revision than the car was originally built with.
am i right in thinking that adding a CAI would replace that air filter assembly with its own filter?

Also, can the stock filter be cleaned?
williswrath,May 8 2008, 04:55 AM Wrote:am i right in thinking that adding a CAI would replace that air filter assembly with its own filter?

Also, can the stock filter be cleaned?
[right][snapback]263838[/snapback][/right]

That is correct, a CAI would replace the entire stock airbox assembly and have its own filter (usually washable) This was one of the first mods I had done to my Focus at the time because I refused to pony up $400CDN for the box every 100K or so <_<

Unfortunately as OAC_Sparky mentioned, the answer is no, once its used up, its garbage (and I don't even know if Ford recycles the damn things if you replace them at the dealer or they end up as landfill :()

NefCanuck
A SRI or CAI is your best bet, not just for performance but for overall value for your Focus. I have/had the FocusSport CAI on my 2007 and it's quite the intake indeed! They've measured 8-10WHP on average for 2.0L Duratecs in the US and 8-12 WHP for 2.3L Duratecs in the US when you bolt on the FS CAI.

Due to where the CAI positions the filter (above the plastic "undershield" and behind the driver's foglight), hydrolocking the car is almost impossible unless you were to submerge that portion of the front clip entirely under water with the engine running. I don't recall the engine stumbling once due to moisture with the CAI and I ran it through a LOT of heavy rain and such.
The Steeda Sri I had on my 07 made it breathe better at higher RPM's and the sound is great.
Go for the CAI (or SRI) with a K&N filter. Then the cleaning kit/oil for it is maybe another 15 bones or so. I clean mine in the spring, mid summer, and then right before its too bloody cold out do deal with in the fall. Its amazing the amount of crap that it collects. This is even when hidden behind the fog light and above that shield.

I have the Marcy Motorsport CAI before things got weird between him & the focus community.

Never had any issues with hyrdolocking.

It definately does help a LOT.. sounds nice and performance definately increased.

If you go SRI, you won't have to take out the one piece thats in the fender unless you want to. CAI you will have to remove it, so have a nice 1/4" ratchet with plenty of extensions, a couple of beers, and patience. Its a bit of a pain to remove.