FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: No More Chirping Under The Hood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So as the the title says " No more chirping under the hood "

So I tackled on the DIY project of changing the Serpentine Belt and the Belt tensioner. Overall it wasn't too bad. At first I was thinking to myself, this is going to be a tough one. I had never done this before, but Im up for the challenge.

I bought the belt from Canadian Tire "Prestone" ($41) and the Belt tensioner also Prestone ($45). So with taxes it came out to under $100 dollars. I check out my old belt and it seamed okay...the tensioner was pretty seize up.

The dealer wanted $37 for the belt which was good, but the tensioner was around $98 dollars. So I ended up buying the parts at Canadian Tire. Hope it lasts a while. This was the original at 185,000km. I know Im crazy...I should have changed it way earlier.

I saved myself atleast $100 in labour. Not sure what the Dealer would have quoted me on the the job, never-the-less I feel that satisfaction of getting it done on my own.

Total time around 2hrs.

So what did I learn...patience goes a long way..

There is always a sense of accomplishment when the DIY'er gets something right. Wait until you screw something up............ :o
I applaud your balls my friend.
I'd love to do that stuff on m own, but I'm afraid I'd strip a bolt, snap something off etc... :lol:
ANTHONYD,May 6 2008, 10:12 AM Wrote:I applaud your balls my friend.
I'd love to do that stuff on m own, but I'm afraid I'd strip a bolt, snap something off etc... :lol:
[right][snapback]263684[/snapback][/right]
That's part of the "fun"
oldeguy,May 6 2008, 09:52 AM Wrote:
That's part of the "fun"
[right][snapback]263690[/snapback][/right]

You have a scary definition of "fun" my friend :lol:

It's getting to the point where opening your hood is almost pointless unless you have a sense of adventure or just don't care what happens once you start pokin' & proddin' under there :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 6 2008, 11:39 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,May 6 2008, 09:52 AM Wrote:
That's part of the "fun"
[right][snapback]263690[/snapback][/right]

You have a scary definition of "fun" my friend :lol:

It's getting to the point where opening your hood is almost pointless unless you have a sense of adventure or just don't care what happens once you start pokin' & proddin' under there :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]263693[/snapback][/right]
Well, if you screw it up, it's just a tow away to the shop, a day off from work, or two, and a few more dollars than if you sent it to the shop in the first place.