FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Where To Learn About Cleaning Car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
guys, i never really cared too much about keeping my vehicle's exterior clean.. i'd toss it through any random car wash once in a while..

i figured i should start thinking about it now that i switched my vehicle..

do you guys have any websites i can use to start learning about this stuff? i'm not looking to spend 3hrs/week or get a 'show car' finish.. but i do want to learn how to effectively clean my vehicle safety in the minimum amount of time
i also wanna know where to learn all this detailing stuff..

i cannot even clean glass..
i'll give you some basic tips i have learned over time

use a microfiber cloth to dust the interior every once and awhile
wash your car with a wash mitt, don't use a sponge. I also use a pressure washer to rinse, soap, and rinse the car off, then RO water for a final spot free rinse. If you are going to wash by hand by a quality shammy.
what is 'RO water'

is that a product ? or are you saying to rinse everything off real good with water
naz,May 6 2008, 02:09 AM Wrote:what is 'RO water'

is that a product ? or are you saying to rinse everything off real good with water
[right][snapback]263649[/snapback][/right]

Rinse Off :)

rinse off with hose rather then pressure washer is what he is saying that way it will not leave any water marks.
I think someone needs to find these guys a website. #1 rule is only use soap made specifically for automotive finishes....not dishsoap (Dawn).

Unless you want to strip your wax off like I do before I polish.
Bada-bing! Hope this site helps:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
naz,May 6 2008, 02:09 AM Wrote:what is 'RO water'

[right][snapback]263649[/snapback][/right]

Its reverse osmosis water, there is no minerals or other stuff in the water that leaves water spots on your car.
I use all Mothers products on my car...
Dimitri,May 5 2008, 11:03 PM Wrote:Bada-bing! Hope this site helps:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
[right][snapback]263660[/snapback][/right]

Naz....LOTS of info on this site.

I run a detailing business on the side, if you have any questions, PM me.

Grout sponge ;) They work awsome, and cheap at your hardware stores. Use 2 buckets, 1 for rinsing off the old dirt.

half water, half vinegar to get all the old wax and water spots off.

Get a good polisher...the porter cable is the one favored by amateurs.

Couple of places I get my stuff...check out their video how to's!

http://www.eshine.ca/

http://www.autogeek.net/

-To Start off on the BMW:
-Wash with a GOOD car soap. Avoid ones that say they 'wax' your car at the same time.
-Rinse
- Acid wash it (half vin/half water)
-Rinse & dry (use a good drying method, lots out there. Those car squigees is something Im looking into)
-Clay bar (any kit will do, I like the mothers and meguiars kit)
-Wax cleaner
-Paint sealant & polish
-Wax (any carabuna wax, I like the solid stuff, doesnt last as long but from what I can tell it protects better)

It will look pretty good after all that!

AnthonyD should post too....hes done some pretty neat stuff to his tercel's paint.

For the interior, I use Bissol home carpet cleaner for easy spots like under your mats, the seats...for 'high use' areas, I'll use turtle wax oxy power carpet cleaner. For salt stains, Hot water and soap and a good brush always does the trick for me. I use a damp cloth for wiping down the dash, then use armour all cleaner for the heavy stains, like caked on coffee, or one that Im always battling, dog drool. :lol: Depending on customers choice, I'll use regular armour all to shine the dash, or meguiars interior detailer (does not shine like armour all does)

I use your standard 'vacum brush' extension to get into the vents. I have many other extensions to get into the small cracks and stuff. If its really bad beside/under the seats, I just take them out.

guys thanks for the info that is good tech

flo, what happens if i skip out on a few of those steps?

like for example, what if i do this...

- really good rinse off with a pressure washer (i will be careful to keep the washer far from the car so i don't mess up the finish with the heat and high pressure)

- use those grout sponges and 2 buckets (i'm guessing 1 to rinse the sponge and 1 to get more soap onto the car) and meguiars soap to wash the car

- dry the car

- apply meguiars cleaner wax

will this result in just a 'sub optimal' finish or am i hurting something by skipping the acid wash, clay bar, wax cleaner, paint sealant and polish?

also, how do you deal with bug guts on the front of the car? i was going to use the same car soap, and a used soft bristle tooth brush to scrub off the stubborn bugs. will this work?

wtf i can post as guest? this was my post

Guest,May 6 2008, 06:03 PM Wrote:guys thanks for the info that is good tech

- really good rinse off with a pressure washer (i will be careful to keep the washer far from the car so i don't mess up the finish with the heat and high pressure)

- use those grout sponges and 2 buckets (i'm guessing 1 to rinse the sponge and 1 to get more soap onto the car) and meguiars soap to wash the car

- dry the car

will this result in just a 'sub optimal' finish or am i hurting something by skipping the acid wash, clay bar, wax cleaner, paint sealant and polish?

also, how do you deal with bug guts on the front of the car?  i was going to use the same car soap, and a used soft bristle tooth brush to scrub off the stubborn bugs. will this work?
[right][snapback]263708[/snapback][/right]
Here are some tips for under the hood.

(these are old pics by the way....the engine still looks as clean as ever.

Grab a can of compressed air from grand and toy. The kind you use to blow out your computer hardware and keyboard./

Go around the engine and blow out all the sand and grit. Once you do this, you'll notice dirt won't collect as much anymore.

Cover the intake, coil, MAF, stereo fuse, fuse box etc...with bags., Spray down the engine with (watered down) simplegreen. [Image: simple-green.gif] DON'T LET THIS s*** SIT TOO LONG...it rubs off all your logos and stickers etc... My engine is completely unbranded :P

Take a small brush (like the kind you use to clean your golf clubs) and scrub out all the dirty areas, the grooves in the coolant tank, power steering resivoir etc... spraying your simplegreen as you go.

Hose off the engine (while it's cold) with the mist setting on your garden hose. Don't EVER blast the engine.

Completly dry the engine best you can with towels. remove the bags and start the motor to dry the rest of it off. Apply a SMALL amount of armour all to a clean rag. Go around to all the black stuff and shine it all up.

I like to take a piece of cardboard and a can of BBQ paint [Image: P01_11286650070293.jpg]and go around and paint all the rusty parts (engine lift loops, mounts, nuts and bolts etc...)

Get some black wire wraps. Canadian tire (about 10.00) [Image: 53148_PE155239_S4.jpg]

These work wonders in hiding ugly stuff. I wrapped all my hoses and some wires, with these. Ithey work well because you can cut them to length and cover the rusty hose clamps etc... Just use some black zipties to fasten them to the car.

Take another dry rag and wipe off all armour all residue.

Leave hood up to bake in the sun.

What you have done is remved all the dirt and baked in a nice slippery grease free coating of protection that helps dirt wipe right off.

I also took the liberty of removing the mouldy black fire-wall sound dampner stuff off the fire wall. It;s held in with about 3 bolts and some wacky metal fasteners. This leaves the firwall with only a nice black plastic cove that shines up really nice with some armour all.

One piece of advice...don;t use tire gel to shine your plastic pieces. The tire gel is a magnet for dirt and dust. (Beacuae it's sticky.)

My car is a 2002, driven all year around in all weather and is NEVER kept in a garage and my enginle looks like this.

[Image: IMG_0034.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0269.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1093.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0966.jpg]

Hope this helps.

If you need any other tips... I have a few up my sleeve.

A.
damn that's a lot of work!! =(

thanks for the tips tho!!
A lot of work yeah. but good for the car.

A proper cleaning / detailing on your buggy SHOULD take the better part of a day.
Guest,May 6 2008, 02:03 PM Wrote:guys thanks for the info that is good tech

- dry the car

also, how do you deal with bug guts on the front of the car?  i was going to use the same car soap, and a used soft bristle tooth brush to scrub off the stubborn bugs. will this work?
[right][snapback]263708[/snapback][/right]

Use automotive goo gone for the bugs and stuff....always works.

You only need to do the above maybe once or twice a year. after that a regular wash and maybe once a month wax job will be good.

It is really important to do the claybar, you dont have to do the acid wash, but makes the claybarring easier. I wouldnt skip out on the above if your car has never had it done.
Flofocus,May 7 2008, 12:23 PM Wrote:You only need to do the above maybe once or twice a year.  after that a regular wash and maybe once a month wax job will be good.

It is really important to do the claybar, you dont have to do the acid wash, but makes the claybarring easier.  I wouldnt skip out on the above if your car has never had it done.
[right][snapback]263746[/snapback][/right]

awesome. thanks for the tip

my car was 'detailed' when i left the shop. it took them around 3hrs to do it.. so i guess that is too little time to do the clay bar huh