FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mini Challenge Is Back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This year they have added the new Clubman model and you will be able to Test the new MINI Cooper Clubman and MINI Cooper S Clubman against the VW GTI 5-door, Mazda3 Sport and Volvo C30. This should be fun with not only the MINI's but all those other hot hatches to throw around there track.

[Image: ClubmanDrivebanner_email_TO.jpg]

Laterz :)
so what is the point of this? is it a test drive and beat the s*** out of theses cars test?
ZX3_2NV,May 5 2008, 11:54 AM Wrote:so what is the point of this? is it a test drive and beat the s*** out of theses cars test?
[right][snapback]263591[/snapback][/right]

Pretty much take them out and push them harder than an on a regular test drive. In previous years it's been an all MINI lineup this year they've added a few other models to trash around the track for comparison purposes ;). If you want to go have some fun on somebody else's tab go to Mini.ca and sign up.

Devo and I signed up for the second Sunday session, 10-12.
Should be fun, hopefully they have coffee....
how did you sign up? I don't see any link here?

I'd hope it's the Mazdaspeed3 and not the just the Mazda 3 junk?
click Clubman Drive Events,
click the Toronto date,
on the right hand text blurb click "Click Here to register".

I'm pretty sure it's not the Mazdaspeed.

edit; sweet, my team manager has approved this event and we're all in the process of registering for the Friday afternoon session.
I got the e-mail invite to register for the event.. I'll probably go to the June 1st one.

Hope to see some of ya's there!
never mind... only Friday June 6 has room left... and I'm driving up to a cottage that weekend.

GUess I'm not going :(
they wouldn't want the speed3 to look better than the Mini i signed up for the friday at 8 am all the weekends are already booked only friday is available should be fun
My brother and I signed up for Friday at 8am I'll keep my eye open for some hot Foci and I'll try and show up in my classic Mini.

Signed up for Friday at 10.
nice have fun guys! last weekend a cooper S with r compounds and an instructor driving was passing a LOT of people at the track. you can certainly make them hustle

can you guys please check on the tires to see if mini is cheating by slapping 'non standard' tires on their cars and leaving the rest with their stock or worse cars
K_OS,May 6 2008, 07:47 AM Wrote:My brother and I signed up for Friday at 8am I'll keep my eye open for some hot Foci and I'll try and show up in my classic Mini.

[right][snapback]263696[/snapback][/right]

So i guess ill see you guys there not sure if ill have the focus out maybe my Jeep unlimited i'll keep an eye out for the mini and say hi

naz,May 6 2008, 10:13 AM Wrote:nice have fun guys! last weekend a cooper S with r compounds and an instructor driving was passing a LOT of people at the track.  you can certainly make them hustle

can you guys please check on the tires to see if mini is cheating by slapping 'non standard' tires on their cars and leaving the rest with their stock or worse cars
[right][snapback]263710[/snapback][/right]

Naz u really just impressed the s*** out of me, thats an amazing idea i wouldn't be surprised becaus the average driver wouldn't think of that but feel a huge difference with just tires
ZX3_2NV,May 7 2008, 02:09 PM Wrote:Naz u really just impressed the s*** out of me, thats an amazing idea i wouldn't be surprised becaus the average driver wouldn't think of that but feel a huge difference with just tires
[right][snapback]263754[/snapback][/right]

yea.. we as enthusiasts know the difference because we feel the jump in performance going from winter tires to full summer tires.. and some have felt the even greater jump going from full summer street tires to R compound tires.. but to the average joe.. they'll just get in and be like.. holy sh!t this mini handles WAAAY better than everything else

the extra grip you get from stickies is sooo apparently on the track.. it even makes the car look faster because you can carry a lot more speed coming out of a turn and into the straight.. its pretty much like doing a highway pull with someone and letting them roll on the gas a couple of seconds before you

I'll take a look at the tires since it would make a huge difference any idea of any of the other cars have the same bolt pattern ill ask them to switch and then take it out again lol and what exactly is R Compound tires are they drag radials? or like slicks
ZX3_2NV,May 8 2008, 02:30 PM Wrote:I'll take a look at the tires since it would make a huge difference any idea of any of the other cars have the same bolt pattern ill ask them to switch and then take it out again lol and what exactly is R Compound tires are they drag radials? or like slicks
[right][snapback]263869[/snapback][/right]

i haven't been keeping up.. i don't know what the bolt patterns and offsets are for the various cars in that test.. i suspect they won't switch em.. and just smile at you if you notice the mini is wearing way better tires

R compounds.. yea they are pretty much like drag radials.. they are really sticky tires with mega stiff sidewalls that ppl change to when they get to the track... there is a lot of variation in R compounds, just like all other kinds of tires... some r compound tires are pretty much slicks with 2 small shallow groves.. other r compound tires can be used on the street (but they wear fast)... a good rule of thumb is check the tread wear rating.. if its less than 100 chances are it is an r compound

any hoosier is a race tire.. kumho victoracer, toyo RA1, yokohama A048, michelin pilot sport cup, pirelli p zero corsa are the most common R compounds i see people using.. if the mini people 'cheat' chances are it will be with the michelins or pirellis because those look the most like summer tires, and the brand name sounds the same as street tires

EDIT: the mega stiff sidewall can fool a lot of people.. normally if you see a lot of rubber you don't think the car will handle.. with 'regular' tires you need like a 40 series or lower aspect ratio to have a stiff sidewall.. with R compounds (like the ones i mentioned above) or serious summer tires like RT615 the sidewall is so stiff that even a 60 series sidewall will not roll over..

if mini is smart they will use the 15" base model tires with R comps and let the others use 17"s with street tires.. it will look like the minis have less tire but actually they will have the lowest weight wheel/tire combo by far the most grip and stiffest sidewalls