FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Eye Opening
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While at my local Tim Horton's this morning, closests one to Mosport, getting my "fix". I saw a Porsche Boxster all done up in orange with all kinds of goodies pull in. Another gentlemen was waiting for him at the door. I looked across the parking lot and noticed a yellow 911, or whatever it's "called" these days. Anyhow, while waiting in line, these two guys start talking about the guy with the Boxters car. They were discussing what the car has, and how much it cost, when the best line I heard was that there's no real difference between $295,000 and $305,000. I wanted to discuss with them the merits of purchasing a Focus, but perhaps it was the wrong venue :blink:
oldeguy,May 2 2008, 07:09 AM Wrote:there's no real difference between $295,000 and $305,000.
[right][snapback]263400[/snapback][/right]

There's no real difference between 2-1/2" and 3-1/2" neither. :lol:
this is kinda off topic but the other day i saw RR Phantom driving 90km/h on QEW in the middle lane......i took 2 phone pics of it but can't manage to send them over for some reason....anyways the funny thing was is when i was passin it (in the right lane) i saw one of those disabled signes in the corner of his windshield.......the guy had to be like 80...must be some old CEO

anyways it was a really gorgeouse car
Yesterday I saw a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte. It was silver with one hell of a loud exhaust but it sounded amazing. There was a smokin hot chick driving it too lol.
^^^

I saw / heard you bootin' up Harvester on Wed. evening.
You went by me heading east.
It's all relative though. To put it into perspective, it would be the same as debating the merits of the new Focus SE trim level versus the Sport. Still cash difference, just a lot less :P

NefCanuck
take your focus to the circuit and you can feel good inside that you man up and take it to the track while they pussy out and take it to the timmy's parking lot to shoot the sh1t

and in my experience.. the 'big boys'. the ones who can pay that $305k straight cash 1 payment don't talk about it. they just go do it, enjoy it quietly and get on with life doing whatever is important to them.. the 'wannabe boys' the ones who pay $305k by taking a massive 10yr loan (don't laugh guys.. i've heard of people purchasing sports cars way over their heads by going for monster loans or very low mileage leases) those are the guys who love to talk up how much money they pretend to have

naz,May 4 2008, 04:23 AM Wrote:and in my experience.. the 'big boys'. the ones who can pay that $305k straight cash 1 payment don't talk about it.  they just go do it, enjoy it quietly and get on with life doing whatever is important to them.. [right][snapback]263535[/snapback][/right]

From personal experience I have to agree with this 100% - I belong to the Trillium chapter of the BMW club (no BMW for me though) and we have an advanced driving school at Mosport 3 times a year. I joined because ever since seeing Jackie Steward win the F1 there I've dreamed about driving Mosport - but anyway, back OT.

There are some incredible machines at these events (including a number of Porsche) and some extremely weatlhy people from all over NA - I never hear them talk about the cost of their vehicles and they have always been very respectful of my Focus and its abilities.
Sorry off topic also, but all this mosport talk is giving me an itch to get my project (once completed) onto to the track.
So, who, what, when, how much to get onto mosport (or any track for that matter)?
i don't know much about track days in canada... in the US it costs $159 for 80min of track time with instruction

to the OP.. don't sweat the posers.. there are lots of ppl who drive much 'less' car than they can afford, there are lots of ppl who drive much 'more' car than they can afford
naz,May 5 2008, 12:49 AM Wrote:i don't know much about track days in canada... in the US it costs $159 for 80min of track time with instruction

to the OP.. don't sweat the posers.. there are lots of ppl who drive much 'less' car than they can afford, there are lots of ppl who drive much 'more' car than they can afford
[right][snapback]263566[/snapback][/right]
I live just "down the street" from Mosport. Always seeing all kinds of good stuff either at the Sunoco or the Tim Horton's.
I'm not worried or jealous about these guys, ( as long as there aren't getting "rich" off of my tax dollars. :o ) I just found it funny.

It's strange too, that my town has two Sunoco stations................
paulicat,May 4 2008, 10:38 AM Wrote:Sorry off topic also, but all this mosport talk is giving me an itch to get my project (once completed) onto to the track.
So, who, what, when, how much to get onto mosport (or any track for that matter)?
[right][snapback]263541[/snapback][/right]
Hey Anton ... I joined the BMW club (Trillium Chapter) which costs about $60 per year, and then as a member I can attend what they call their Advanced Driving Schools. It's on the full Mosport track and there are three per year - no BMW required, lots of BMWs of course, but many other makes as well.

A weekend costs about $450 and includes a Friday night get together, track sessions Saturday and Sunday and a dinner Saturday night ... track sessions are with an instructor and it's basically flat out with specified passing zones ... instructors also have their own sessions and they often invite "students" to ride with them. Last time out my instructor drove a race modified Porsche 944 Turbo ... and let's just say that when he asked how I was doing (end of straight coming up to turn 8/9 at 255 kph) I intended to say "fine" but my voice said "erk" - that's how much fun it was.

Not cheap - but very well organized and a lot of fun on an historic course - highly recommended.
Its a good thing Bownmanville has Sunocos or i would be driving the focus around that area but i though the Boxster was the poor man porsche
boxster... it is definitely the cheapest porsche by a long shot... personally.. i think it has awesome driving dynamics and could be a great track weapon

pretty stupid to look down on someone for being 'poor' because they have a certain model of car...

by that line of thinking.. if boxster = poor man's porsche then focus = poor man ? i personally find that a silly way to think

EDIT: $450 for 2 days of track and instruction including meals is a pretty solid deal.
its just a saying lol just like the 300 is the poor man's bently and the focus a poor mans STI

Im not looking down on anyone or making fun of the 300

as for drag racing $40 bucks can get u a full day or time trials
ZX3_2NV,May 5 2008, 07:15 PM Wrote:focus a poor mans STI
[right][snapback]263614[/snapback][/right]

really? :ph34r:

naz,May 5 2008, 04:37 PM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,May 5 2008, 07:15 PM Wrote:focus a poor mans STI
[right][snapback]263614[/snapback][/right]

really? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]263623[/snapback][/right]

yeah...no s***...its WRX = poor mans STI. get it right. :lol:

Quote:$450 for 2 days of track and instruction including meals is a pretty solid deal.

Thats an AMAZING deal actually.
well in a previous thread we decided that celica GTS = poor man's lotus elise... so ya.. maybe focus = poor man's STi

:lol: :ph34r:
naz,May 5 2008, 07:06 PM Wrote:well in a previous thread we decided that celica GTS = poor man's lotus elise... so ya.. maybe focus = poor man's STi

:lol:  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]263638[/snapback][/right]

ouch.

The focus is the poor man's taurus... look at the styling and tell me otherwise...