FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: T-stat Housing, Again.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it happened to me in 2006 and now its happened again. I have had a slow leak the past couple days and I didn't really think much about it as I was going to have a look on the weekend when I had time. This morning on my way to work, crawling along the DVP the temp guage started climbing. I quickly pulled off to the side and opened the hood. I didn't notice any major leaks just a bit of wetness around the tranny below the t-stat housing. Luckily I had a jug of coolant in the hatch. I topped it off and I was on my way.

I stopped in to the Canadian Tire on the Queensway to pick up 2 jugs of coolant and then went across the street to Thorncrest Sherway to check how much a stat housing was. $80.00!!! I then went to service to see if this was covered under my extended warranty, it is! "Sweet" I said. Dave checked the history on the service I have had done there and it was done back in 2006 as well. But they can't see it until tomorrow. Now I have to crawl home on the DVP watching the guage the whole way. Hopefully I can get home and back without cracking the head or something.

The luck I have had lately is making me feel like I am going to have a major problem. But the dealer told me to keep going. I will put it on them if something else goes, like the head gasket.
Focus man, Focus.,May 1 2008, 03:15 PM Wrote:Well it happened to me in 2006 and now its happened again.  I have had a slow leak the past couple days and I didn't really think much about it as I was going to have a look on the weekend when I had time.  This morning on my way to work, crawling along the DVP the temp guage started climbing.  I quickly pulled off to the side and opened the hood.  I didn't notice any major leaks just a bit of wetness around the tranny below the t-stat housing.  Luckily I had a jug of coolant in the hatch.  I topped it off and I was on my way.

I stopped in to the Canadian Tire on the Queensway to pick up 2 jugs of coolant and then went across the street to Thorncrest Sherway to check how much a stat housing was.  $80.00!!!  I then went to service to see if this was covered under my extended warranty, it is!  "Sweet" I said.  Dave checked the history on the service I have had done there and it was done back in 2006 as well.  But they can't see it until tomorrow.  Now I have to crawl home on the DVP watching the guage the whole way.  Hopefully I can get home and back without cracking the head or something. 

The luck I have had lately is making me feel like I am going to have a major problem.  But the dealer told me to keep going.  I will put it on them if something else goes, like the head gasket.
[right][snapback]263347[/snapback][/right]
Yea if they told you to drive it home I'd imagine they'd be liable.
When my wifes started leaking man it was crazy, it was just pouring out like crazy, thankfully, it happened on our driveway...
Yeah, mine is just a slow leak. Looks as if the car took a leak on the driveway.
paulicat,May 1 2008, 04:09 PM Wrote:Yea if they told you to drive it home I'd imagine they'd be liable.
When my wifes started leaking man it was crazy, it was just pouring out like crazy, thankfully, it happened on our driveway...

Unless you have it in writing, don't expect them to be liable for anything! :lol:
Scorpion,May 1 2008, 05:20 PM Wrote:
paulicat,May 1 2008, 04:09 PM Wrote:Yea if they told you to drive it home I'd imagine they'd be liable.

Unless you have it in writing, don't expect them to be liable for anything! :lol:
[right][snapback]263361[/snapback][/right]
Thats a good point.
its a none problem that they like to leak. i know my dealer keeps at least one in stock, i have to change my tstat and im scared im gonna crack the housing and have to change it too.
ZX5focused,May 1 2008, 07:34 PM Wrote:its a none problem that they like to leak.  i know my dealer keeps at least one in stock, i have to change my tstat and im scared im  gonna crack the housing and have to change it too.
[right][snapback]263374[/snapback][/right]

Buy a housing, it may be $80, but do you wanna tear everything apart again if the damn thing develops a crack in it while you're putting things back together?

NefCanuck
Well it goes in at 8 this morning for the repair. Thank god for warrantys.
Ok got a call from Thorncrest. They are replacing the T-stat housing, T-stat and gasket, also the R/C gasket under warranty. All I have to pay for is the PCV valve. Gotta love the extended warranty. :D