FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Extended Warranty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys I have a few questions regarding the extended warrantee and what you think the pros and cons are to them.

Well I seem to be driving about 3500 km a month and I'm thinking about getting the extended warranty for my car, I think its 7 year and 150'000km warranty. I was looking to get the premium package for $1700 and I was wondering what you guys thought about the extended warranty? Anyone have problems with this package?

I also was reading my maintenance guide and it said I can go 12'000km between oil changes. That seems a little high to me I was always told 5000km? .
Canadian ST,Apr 28 2008, 07:17 PM Wrote:I also was reading my maintenance guide and it said I can go 12'000km between oil changes. That seems a little high to me I was always told 5000km? .
[right][snapback]263144[/snapback][/right]

A lot of newer cars have the on board oil life. it will tell you what your oil life is in a percentage. and this will go from 100% to 10% in around 12,000 km when it whill say oil change required. you should keep changing the oil every 5,000 km though. ford is still recommending that.

as for the warranty i purchase the 7 year 120,000km package and it has come in handy a couple of times. but after you exceed the 3 years or 60,000km there is a $100 deductible that you will have to pay. i would say get it, its already saved me atleast $1,700 and i still have 30,000km left of warranty
phased_focus,Apr 28 2008, 11:43 PM Wrote:
Canadian ST,Apr 28 2008, 07:17 PM Wrote:I also was reading my maintenance guide and it said I can go 12'000km between oil changes. That seems a little high to me I was always told 5000km? .
[right][snapback]263144[/snapback][/right]

A lot of newer cars have the on board oil life. it will tell you what your oil life is in a percentage. and this will go from 100% to 10% in around 12,000 km when it whill say oil change required. you should keep changing the oil every 5,000 km though. ford is still recommending that.

as for the warranty i purchase the 7 year 120,000km package and it has come in handy a couple of times. but after you exceed the 3 years or 60,000km there is a $100 deductible that you will have to pay. i would say get it, its already saved me atleast $1,700 and i still have 30,000km left of warranty
[right][snapback]263149[/snapback][/right]

my car dosnt ell me my oil life, it tells me my brake fluid level, but no oil life.?
i didnt really think the new focus did, but i still wouldnt wait 12,000 km it just seems way too long.

someone (OAC_sparky?) posted in another thread that ford is able to extend the oil change interval that long because the factory fill oil is semi synthetic (the key advantage of synthetic is extended oil change interval)

IMHO follow the severe service oil change interval

if the 'severe service' maintenance schedule says 12k kms between oil changes i think you are fine with that interval. if you are worried change it at 5k kms and get a used oil analysis done to measure the amount of additives and wear metals. if there is a lot of additive left and the wear metals are within normal range then go ahead and stick with the longer interval.. oil analysis a great way to bring tech to this decision

EDIT: as for the extended warranty, it is good for peace of mind, or if your car has had a long history of needing repairs, or if you really drive the crap out of it regularly. if its a normal daily driver that has had routine maintenance and inspection, you might be better off not getting the warranty. (they price those things so that they make a profit on average... or else they go out of business!!)

and read the fine print to see what is included, where you can get repairs done and what the claims process is. and get a competitive quote from another vendor
If you've purchased the car, and plan to keep it until it rusts out, the extended warranty could be a good idea. It all sdepends on the total amount of kilometers, and whats covered. If the engine, transmission and the electricals are covered "forever" than it might be worth it. Also check about modifications and what that means for the warranty. A FC.net decal or two won't affect your warranty, so let's see a couple on that 2008 :lol:
naz,Apr 29 2008, 02:03 AM Wrote:and read the fine print to see what is included, where you can get repairs done and what the claims process is.  and get a competitive quote from another vendor
[right][snapback]263154[/snapback][/right]
To this last point, I wouldn't even bother with an aftermarket warranty - Ford's ESP warranties are written in real English and you know it will be good throughout North America ... the premium warranty excludes just a handful of items and they are clearly spelled out.

I have the premium ESP on my wife's 04 ZTW and we have used it a couple of times ... once to replace the power steering rack and once to replace a defective mirror heater.

Had a bit of a problem with the mirror because the dealership first told me it wasn't covered because the warranty doesn't include body ... when I pointed out to the service manager that this was an electrical problem and all electrical is included, he found a way through the system to get it covered.

So far I'm happy with having one and think it was a good investment.
oldeguy,Apr 29 2008, 08:05 AM Wrote:A FC.net decal or two won't affect your warranty, so let's see a couple on that 2008 :lol:
[right][snapback]263160[/snapback][/right]

I was just thinking about that yesterday, who has them???
ZTWsquared,Apr 29 2008, 09:57 AM Wrote:
naz,Apr 29 2008, 02:03 AM Wrote:and read the fine print to see what is included, where you can get repairs done and what the claims process is.  and get a competitive quote from another vendor
[right][snapback]263154[/snapback][/right]
To this last point, I wouldn't even bother with an aftermarket warranty - Ford's ESP warranties are written in real English and you know it will be good throughout North America ... the premium warranty excludes just a handful of items and they are clearly spelled out.

I have the premium ESP on my wife's 04 ZTW and we have used it a couple of times ... once to replace the power steering rack and once to replace a defective mirror heater.

Had a bit of a problem with the mirror because the dealership first told me it wasn't covered because the warranty doesn't include body ... when I pointed out to the service manager that this was an electrical problem and all electrical is included, he found a way through the system to get it covered.

So far I'm happy with having one and think it was a good investment.
[right][snapback]263185[/snapback][/right]

Well I do plan on driving it for at least five years and at this rate that might be close to 150-180km total so I think I should get one. I was thinking of the premium warranty also, I think its $1700 for 7 years and 150'000km.
Thanks for the imput.
Canadian ST,Apr 29 2008, 12:03 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Apr 29 2008, 08:05 AM Wrote:A FC.net decal or two won't affect your warranty, so let's see a couple on that 2008 :lol:
[right][snapback]263160[/snapback][/right]

I was just thinking about that yesterday, who has them???
[right][snapback]263197[/snapback][/right]
Darkpuppet
ya go for it.
Here's the thing. The more electronic stuff that your car has, the more chances something may go wrong statistically speaking.

Both on the Focus & the Fusion I bought the 7 year / 150,000km Ford ESP premium care warranties and although I never had cause (or opportunity <_<) to use the warranty on the Focus, I still think it was money well spent for piece of mind.

With the Fusion having an AWD system I think I would have been insane not to buy the extended plan. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 29 2008, 03:14 PM Wrote:Here's the thing.  The more electronic stuff that your car has, the more chances something may go wrong statistically speaking.

Both on the Focus & the Fusion I bought the 7 year / 150,000km Ford ESP premium care warranties and although I never had cause (or opportunity <_<) to use the warranty on the Focus, I still think it was money well spent for piece of mind. 

With the Fusion having an AWD system I think I would have been insane not to buy the extended plan. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]263223[/snapback][/right]
Hey - I don't know why I didn't think of this before - I think in the case of a write off you might be eligible for a partial refund on your Focus warranty - give Michael a call an see if he can pull some strings.
NefCanuck,Apr 29 2008, 03:14 PM Wrote:With the Fusion having an AWD system I think I would have been insane not to buy the extended plan. :ph34r:

I totally agree, my wifes car had leaky seals in the rear diff. Now had I not been able to replace the $20 parts myself it would have set me back at least $500 to fix. When I was changing seals I was wishing we bought the ESP because @ 55,000km's you'd think that this wouldn't happen.
ZTWsquared,Apr 29 2008, 06:21 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 29 2008, 03:14 PM Wrote:Here's the thing.  The more electronic stuff that your car has, the more chances something may go wrong statistically speaking.

NefCanuck
Hey - I don't know why I didn't think of this before - I think in the case of a write off you might be eligible for a partial refund on your Focus warranty - give Michael a call an see if he can pull some strings.
[right][snapback]263239[/snapback][/right]

D'oh and I didn't think to ask him about it, I'll give him a buzz later this week and see what he says....

NefCanuck
I bought an extended warranty on my Focus when I bought it used and it has saved me a ton of money. Its going in for the thermostat housing for the second time tomorrow.
It looks like I'm going to get my rear lower control arms/bolts replaced under my extended warranty tomorrow.
If that pans out as planned, then I couldn't be any happier.
For the record, this would now total, a new clutch, flywheel, clutch slave, rear lower control arms/assorted bolts at ridiculous pricing, a rental for a week all within the last few months of extended warranty.
Can't complain.