FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Caw - Ford Deal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is this good? Not being a CAW member, I have no clue.
Too early to say without reading the "fine print".
OAC_Sparky,Apr 29 2008, 08:20 AM Wrote:Too early to say without reading the "fine print".
[right][snapback]263162[/snapback][/right]
In some ways, as long as there are no job losses, or clawbacks, it's better than no job at all. Just make sure that Buzz reminds Ford of the Ford workers "co-operation" during these tough days, when Ford gets things turned around.
oldeguy,Apr 29 2008, 09:09 AM Wrote:In some ways, as long as there are no job losses, or clawbacks, it's better than no job at all. Just make sure that Buzz reminds Ford of the Ford workers "co-operation" during these tough days, when Ford gets things turned around.
[right][snapback]263175[/snapback][/right]
They always give the good news, never the bad -- hence seeing the fine print.

For example.

Lose 1 week vacation. per year. Big deal right? Nobody loses a job right?

Wrong. You need 1 person to cover 48 people during that one week of vacation each person has. Which means that for every 4800 workers, 100 people lose their jobs.

Now is that 1 week of vacation we lose that we get to pick? Or is it a week of SPA that the company chooses? Gee, losing that camping week in August would hurt a lot more than that week off in February the company chooses.

Like I said - fine print.

OAC_Sparky,Apr 29 2008, 10:08 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Apr 29 2008, 09:09 AM Wrote:In some ways, as long as there are no job losses, or clawbacks, it's better than no job at all. Just make sure that Buzz reminds Ford of the Ford workers "co-operation" during these tough days, when Ford gets things turned around.
[right][snapback]263175[/snapback][/right]
They always give the good news, never the bad -- hence seeing the fine print.

For example.

Lose 1 week vacation. per year. Big deal right? Nobody loses a job right?

Wrong. You need 1 person to cover 48 people during that one week of vacation each person has. Which means that for every 4800 workers, 100 people lose their jobs.

Now is that 1 week of vacation we lose that we get to pick? Or is it a week of SPA that the company chooses? Gee, losing that camping week in August would hurt a lot more than that week off in February the company chooses.

Like I said - fine print.
[right][snapback]263187[/snapback][/right]
There is a saying in "my union", No Clawbacks. Like I said, as long as there are no clawbacks, then it seems okay. And yes, always read the fine print.
Devils in the details. Sure it sounds good but as OAC says, gotta be able to have the union suits go over it like picking nits to ensure there are no hidden "gotchas" unlike GM who whacks its works in the face with the frying pan unabashedly and lays people off left & right <_<

Wonder how much vac time a worker at Ford gets compared to mine? (Which is pretty goddamn generous, right now I'm at 6 weeks vac time after 13 years)

NefCanuck
Biggest issue with myself is the fact they want to claw into the current contract starting yesterday with the COLA being frozen for 15 months. That is a no fawkin way in my books. Prices are expected to escalate like we have never seen before and for us to be at a stand still during the next 15 months puts us behind the 8-ball.

And the week of vacation they want to take away Matt, it's a SPA week. Problem is, once they pay us out for it, after this contract is finished, we will never get it back.

I think we have given alot to this company with the "Flex" agreement. Now it's time for a little giving on their part. And we all know at the plant they can't afford to idle this plant. We are making Ford alot of money. And with new product scheduled for December, a strike would financially hurt them.

Having said all that, my inital reaction is to vote no. We haven't voted no on a contract since before many of you were born. But with history comes complacency, and my bet is that it will pass.
meford4u,Apr 29 2008, 03:11 PM Wrote:And the week of vacation they want to take away Matt, it's a SPA week.  Problem is, once they pay us out for it, after this contract is finished, we will never get it back.

Here is the news conference. Buzz says it will not be the SPA week, which I don't agree with but I'd rather lose a week in Jan or Dec and keep my preferred weeks off.

CAW News Con

I hope we don't have to vote on this crap this Sunday, as I'm going out drinking on Saturday with some fellow Ford buds celebrating a couple of birthdays.