FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gm To Cut About 1,000 Jobs In Oshawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not looking good...

News
That sucks man, but with gas at 1.22 a liter I guess people are going to buy smaller cars, hopefully they can work on the car lines?
Canadian ST,Apr 28 2008, 11:00 PM Wrote:That sucks man, but with gas at 1.22 a liter I guess people are going to buy smaller cars, hopefully they can work on the car lines?
[right][snapback]263141[/snapback][/right]
Oshawa is all about the big cars and trucks. I can see Oshawa looking more like Windsor soon. GM needs to change, just like the other two domestics.
......Yeah......

So my application was sent out to Ford Oakville today!! LOL

I think i'll still have a job here...... BUT i can't see GM being in Oshawa for more than 5 years..... then the true Oshawa will take over again... lol
Maybe this will finally wake GM up to the need to produce smaller cars & trucks that can compete <_<

I mean the GMC Canyon is just about the worst hodge-podge small(ish) truck out there, hell even the ancient Ranger design is a better truck IMO :blink:

NefCanuck
I heard that GM is cutting due to a work stoppage at one of their assembly plants, i believe it was for differential or transmission. They'll hire again soon enough. This story is just media talk to spur more attention to the auto sector.

Our office is having problems getting new GM trucks for our employees and we're now switching to plan B, Ford. :rolleyes:

edit. Here's info on the axle strike.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/c...a731575&k=22774

From the article that CanadaSVT listed, the union blames everyone else but another union for the trouble woes at the Oshawa Truck Plant.

How ironic. :rolleyes:
Oscar The Grouch,Apr 29 2008, 02:41 PM Wrote:I heard that GM is cutting due to a work stoppage at one of their assembly plants, i believe it was for differential or transmission.  They'll hire again soon enough.  This story is just media talk to spur more attention to the auto sector.

Our office is having problems getting new GM trucks for our employees and we're now switching to plan B, Ford.  :rolleyes:

edit.  Here's info on the axle strike.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/c...a731575&k=22774

From the article that CanadaSVT listed, the union blames everyone else but another union for the trouble woes at the Oshawa Truck Plant.

How ironic. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]263233[/snapback][/right]

No the work stoppage is due to the American Axle strike has NOTHING to do with GM cutting jobs.... Sales have been down big time for the GM trucks. GM had a stock pile already before the strike and why they aren't putting any pressure on American Axle to end the strike. The decision to go down to 1 shift is mainly because of sky rocketing fuel costs and lower sales volumes

I am however back to work for 3 weeks, building pilot builds, hybrids and we are limited to 1 shift of full regular production as they are shipping the axles up from Mexico

So far i've been laid off for 2 months this year due to overstock and the American Axle stike :rolleyes:
sucks man..