FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2009 Ford Fusion To Offer Better Fuel Economy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2009 Ford Fusion to offer better fuel economy and performance
Source: Leftlane news.

Ford will offer a new range of engines in its updated 2009 Fusion sedan, a new report finds. It was revealed to dealers at Ford's dealer meetings in Las Vegas earlier this month that the revised Fusion will sport an updated four-cylinder engine and a six-speed transmission.

According to The Detroit News, the 2009 Fusion will come standard with a new 2.5L four-cylinder engine — the same powerplant Ford unveiled in its Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner SUVs at the 2008 New York Auto Show. The new engine will generate 170 horsepower, a 10 horsepower gain over the outgoing four-cylinder powerplant.

The new engine — which will feature variable valve timing — will also be mated to the same six-speed automatic transmission that debuted in the revised Escape and Mariner, allowing the Fusion to offer more performance and greater fuel economy. It was also reported that Ford execs expect the Fusion to post best-in-class fuel economy ratings.

Ford failed mention if the Fusion's 3.0L V6 would also see an updated, but it is widely expected that the 2009 Fusion could bow with an updated V6.

A new front fascia and updated interior will also be part of the 2009 updating. The new Fusion will make its official debut later this year, with sales following shortly after.
yeah ford is getting rid of thier old V6 duratech. new engine is 3.0L 230HP and it comes with a 6spd auto rather then the old 4speed auto.

As for the 2.5L 4cyl. its got 170hp, but i dont know what tranny is offered.

This is for the 09 Escape, the combination on the V6 gives it 1mpg better fuel economy. I was looking to replace wife's 04 Escape with something and i think i just go tmy answer. I love the new escape, but hated the old engine&tranny. So this might be my answer now :) was also looking at the edge, but i think this is better on gas and since gas is at 1.21$/L the escape looks better. :)
mo_focus,Apr 24 2008, 07:15 AM Wrote:yeah ford is getting rid of thier old V6 duratech. new engine is 3.0L 230HP and it comes with a 6spd auto rather then the old 4speed auto.

As for the 2.5L 4cyl. its got 170hp, but i dont know what tranny is offered.

This is for the 09 Escape, the combination on the V6 gives it 1mpg better fuel economy. I was looking to replace wife's 04 Escape with something and i think i just go tmy answer. I love the new escape, but hated the old engine&tranny. So this might be my answer now :) was also looking at the edge, but i think this is better on gas and since gas is at 1.21$/L the escape looks better. :)
[right][snapback]262802[/snapback][/right]
If you can, wait for the S-Max, or Kuga. Okay...... I'm probably due for my medication :blink:
Interesting, assuming that the car is the same weight (or hopefully lighter?) maybe the 4 banger would become a viable option after all?

But I thought they were debuting the new engines/tranny in the Fusion with the reskin in the 2010 MY? (The '09 MY being a short run of 6 months)

Maybe a change of direction mid stream because of the revised CAFE standards? :huh:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 24 2008, 10:55 AM Wrote:Interesting, assuming that the car is the same weight (or hopefully lighter?) maybe the 4 banger would become a viable option after all?

But I thought they were debuting the new engines/tranny in the Fusion with the reskin in the 2010 MY? (The '09 MY being a short run of 6 months) 

Maybe a change of direction mid stream because of the revised CAFE standards? :huh:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262827[/snapback][/right]

more then likely. if anything they might be using the a similar engine & tranny out of the Volvo C30/S40, either that or it's the one they use currently in the Mondeo.
Frost__2001,Apr 24 2008, 08:47 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 24 2008, 10:55 AM Wrote:Interesting, assuming that the car is the same weight (or hopefully lighter?) maybe the 4 banger would become a viable option after all?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262827[/snapback][/right]

more then likely. if anything they might be using the a similar engine & tranny out of the Volvo C30/S40, either that or it's the one they use currently in the Mondeo.
[right][snapback]262903[/snapback][/right]

Isn't the euro 2.5 a 5 cylinder?