FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Audi R8 Vs Porsche Gt3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Top gear enlists their two top drivers to compare the Audi R8 and GT3...

hmm they just did something like this on the new season of top gear on bbc-canada this past sunday, and the GT3 won.. to clarkson's dismay.
Frost__2001,Apr 23 2008, 07:52 PM Wrote:hmm they just did something like this on the new season of top gear on bbc-canada this past sunday, and the GT3 won.. to clarkson's dismay.
[right][snapback]262758[/snapback][/right]

probably the same video... The Stig vs Sabine Schmidt... much to Clarkson's dismay...
darkpuppet,Apr 23 2008, 08:46 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Apr 23 2008, 07:52 PM Wrote:hmm they just did something like this on the new season of top gear on bbc-canada this past sunday, and the GT3 won.. to clarkson's dismay.
[right][snapback]262758[/snapback][/right]

probably the same video... The Stig vs Sabine Schmidt... much to Clarkson's dismay...
[right][snapback]262768[/snapback][/right]

no it was not the same as it was hampster, and clarkson racing round the top gear track, and the GT3 won, thye were more or less introducing the R8 for the first time in this new season... or old one by UK standards.
whichever you look at it, the R8 is slower then the GT3. or it could be the girl couldnt really drive the R8 :)
Would have been a great video is the woman kept her mouth shut. I sitll love the Porsche and think the Audi is fugly.
CanadaSVT,Apr 24 2008, 09:00 AM Wrote:Would have been a great video is the woman kept her mouth shut.  I sitll love the Porsche and think the Audi is fugly.
[right][snapback]262811[/snapback][/right]

Give me a Porsche, but not a 914, over anything else ( except for that car that Marcus Gronholm drove last year ) :lol: anyday.
I loved porsches in the 80's ... mainly the slant noses. They're not bad looking cars today, but they've really fallen off my Covet Meter™ as of late since there are soooo many beautiful cars out there -- and Porsches in Toronto are as plentiful as honda civics -- they just don't feel special anymore...

If I wanted pinacle of performance and driving experience, I'd go Ferrari, but if I wanted supercar madness, I still have no choice but to go Lambo -- get the one with the lambo doors so I look cool around the hot import nights crowd
i'd still take Audi R8
seen a couple of them on the roads and they look like pure sex
IMHO from a pure driving standpoint, lightly modded STi/EVO gets you most of the way there....

'supercar' is mostly about the body styling. if there is a performance difference over a modified STi/EVO with similar weight to power ratio most ppl do not have the skills to exploit it anyway (especially if the supercar is mid engine, has massive power, and no traction control)
that remindes me......i found a nice looking sti with low KM going for 24 or 25 grand
not sure if you can get it into canada or not but the 2006 evo ix RS is the way to go, or maybe the evo ix 'gsr' (base model) if you can't find the RS or want stuff like power windows

i would avoid the MR because the 6spd has been known to fail under track conditions (not enough cooling, gears get eaten). the RS gives you the aluminum roof, and other MR goodies so its the ideal one for circuit use.

the ix version is much more mod friendly than the viii or the STi... (~310awhp from TBE and chip only.. hell yea!)

I'd rather have the increased potential overhead of modding a 2.5L flat-4 over modding the 2.0L 4G63 4-cyl. Plus, with the STi you get all the toys and I've not heard of STi gearboxes eating themselves very much.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 24 2008, 07:30 PM Wrote:I'd rather have the increased potential overhead of modding a 2.5L flat-4 over modding the 2.0L 4G63 4-cyl. Plus, with the STi you get all the toys and I've not heard of STi gearboxes eating themselves very much.
[right][snapback]262862[/snapback][/right]

yea the STi 6spd is pretty much a tank. i have not heard of any STi 6spd failures either.. even with the standard subaru 5spd the failures are really due to big power the trans can't handle or driver stupidity

in a mega power max tuning situation i'm not sure it is very clear cut whether the STi or EVO is better.. i guess that's why its been an on going rivalry for many years

i've heard, though i haven't experienced it myself, people saying that the EVO is better on smooth tarmac and the STi is better over rough surfaces and in gravel.

in terms of 'toys' what do you mean? like.. power windows, etc? from a tech standpoint the two cars are very similar... (the evo ix has much more tech in the drivetrain than the evo viii)

EDIT: i used to go to porsche club autoX events in NJ since they were held close to where i lived. many 911 guys comment on how hard it is to catch EVO/STi drivers. probably something to do with big power for cheap + awd fairies
if she wouldn't have lost it near the end where she went in the dirt she may have won.
mo_focus,Apr 24 2008, 06:11 AM Wrote:whichever you look at it, the R8 is slower then the GT3. or it could be the girl couldnt really drive the R8 :)
[right][snapback]262801[/snapback][/right]

That gUrl can drive, where's that vid of her lapping all the posers on "the N-ring" with a cargo van? anyone?
2001 ZTS,Apr 25 2008, 08:28 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Apr 24 2008, 06:11 AM Wrote:whichever you look at it, the R8 is slower then the GT3. or it could be the girl couldnt really drive the R8 :)
[right][snapback]262801[/snapback][/right]

That gUrl can drive, where's that vid of her lapping all the posers on "the N-ring" with a cargo van? anyone?
[right][snapback]262961[/snapback][/right]

you mean this vid?

and the original film with jeremy doing the nurburgring in the jag..

pt 2..