FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zomg I Am A Nail Magnet =(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so i needed to replace tires because of a tire puncture two weeks ago..... so today rolling on two week old tires with 700miles on them..... nail in the passenger front tire!!!

must pony up $150 to get a new tire installed :(

at least there hasn't been enough wear to necessitate tread shaving

grumble
how come they dont have the puncture warranty?
mo_focus,Apr 23 2008, 10:19 PM Wrote:how come they dont have the puncture warranty?
[right][snapback]262747[/snapback][/right]

i didn't purchase it. its usually not worth it for tires like this since i go through them so fast anyway.. i guess in hind sight i should have.. it would have been a good use of my $12
I used one of these, lasted 2 years until I scrapped the tyre -_-

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_puncture.html
Scorpion,Apr 23 2008, 11:10 PM Wrote:I used one of these, lasted 2 years until I scrapped the tyre -_-

[right][snapback]262754[/snapback][/right]

nice find!! i have tried a 'fix a flat' can myself with decent results.

i would never use a repaired tire for anything but driving to the tire place though. certainly not for circuit us

naz,Apr 23 2008, 06:28 PM Wrote:
Scorpion,Apr 23 2008, 11:10 PM Wrote:I used one of these, lasted 2 years until I scrapped the tyre -_-

[right][snapback]262754[/snapback][/right]

nice find!! i have tried a 'fix a flat' can myself with decent results.

i would never use a repaired tire for anything but driving to the tire place though. certainly not for circuit us
[right][snapback]262756[/snapback][/right]

I have used those plugs 3 times, twice on the Focus and I am still rolling on them. They hold up great. I pulled a nail out just as I put my summer tires on this year. I have never had a problem with them. You can get kits with everything you need at Canadian Tire for about $10.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 24 2008, 12:50 AM Wrote:I have never had a problem with them.
[right][snapback]262769[/snapback][/right]

have you done a lapping day, time trial or club race event with the plug? if so that would be awesome you just saved me like.. $140

EDIT: i think a plug might be out of the question regardless since the puncture is not in the center of the tread but rather on the shoulder of the tire near where the tread and sidewall meet
Plugging that area is not the same as in/between tread blocks. Also, plugging R-comp tires MIGHT not be the same as all-season / hi-spec summer tires. I'm honestly not sure, tho.
Yeah, no lapping or any sort of track days. I do push the limits on the on ramps though, LOL. I have plugged a tread block and in between blocks and not had any sort of problem. You have to remember the are self vulcanizing(SP) plugs, which means they bond internally to the rubber in the tire. When you install them about 3/4 of the plug is pushed through the tire and then pulled back on the inside. Creating a mushroom effect on the inside of the tire. After a couple weeks you can't even see the repair from the outside.
yea you know.... i thought about the whole plugging thing a lot.

i did a bit of research into this on other forums people say that michelin says their z rated tires can be plugged with mushroom patch.. some MC guys say that they have ran several thousand miles on a mushroom patch.. etc

i guess this is how i argued it out in my head..

1 ) i'm not sure the plug is designed for the kind of heat the tires will see at the circuit

2 ) paying out $150 extra sucks but it gives me peace of mind and potentially avoids a risk (sort of like paying $300 for MC helmet instead of $60.. is it better?? dunno.. but i don't want to regret it so i pay up!!)

EDIT: i'm sure these are fine for the street.. pushing a ramp and maybe a corner or two doesn't generate and sustain heat
naz,Apr 24 2008, 04:57 AM Wrote:2 ) paying out $150 extra sucks but it gives me peace of mind and potentially avoids a risk  (sort of like paying $300 for MC helmet instead of $60.. is it better?? dunno.. but i don't want to regret it so i pay up!!)

you just said it. Spending the 150 is lot better then you loosing control of the car while you are on a track and run into something that could really damage the car and cost you lot more.
mo_focus,Apr 24 2008, 07:09 AM Wrote:
naz,Apr 24 2008, 04:57 AM Wrote:2 ) paying out $150 extra sucks but it gives me peace of mind and potentially avoids a risk  (sort of like paying $300 for MC helmet instead of $60.. is it better?? dunno.. but i don't want to regret it so i pay up!!)

you just said it. Spending the 150 is lot better then you loosing control of the car while you are on a track and run into something that could really damage the car and cost you lot more.
[right][snapback]262800[/snapback][/right]

Damn...I was only joking for Naz's use.... :lol: :lol:

No, those things are not safe for racing etc...no way. For a start, it takes a while for the vulcanizing to bond properly, which is fine for normal driving, but would fail under racing/lapping conditions.

Sorry guys, I should have put j/k at the end of my post before. Still, at least more people know about that now...lol
actually i think this is really good info. i didn't realize before this thread there were so many different types of fixing products and some are sorta crappy (flat fixer in a can) and some are legitimate long term fixes (mushroom patch)

you guys with experience with them should make a sticky thread.. it could save people a lot of money.

even though i'm definitely going to replace the punctured tire i am going to look into mushroom patching the damaged tire, mounting it on one of my extra wheels and having a full sized spare tire (i hate the damn donut they put in my car!!!)