FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mountain Bikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think that there are few people on here that have bikes, ones powered by man, I'm looking to get back into it for two reason. One to save money on gas, figure if I'll be spending about ~$400 on gas this summer and it takes 10 mins max to get anywhere here, two is to get into better shape.

I've been looking at a couple of different one so far, just unsure of brakes. Don't know to go with V brakes or disc brakes, and unsure if its worth an additional $150 to get discs from the start. I would like to get into trail riding later on, but right now I'd just be using it for getting around the city.

This what I've been looking at and considering.

Specialized
Giant

I used to do the downhill racing out west and trust me disk brakes are the way to go! Even under normal ridding conditions they work so much better, so yah they are worth the $150.
Canadian ST,Apr 22 2008, 04:05 PM Wrote:I used to do the downhill racing out west and trust me disk brakes are the way to go! Even under normal ridding conditions they work so much better, so yah they are worth the $150.
[right][snapback]262638[/snapback][/right]

I believe that all depends....

because upgrading to crappy disk brakes does you no favour (anyone who's had Hope disks sieze on you know what I mean).... I'm not sure what price bracket those bikes are in, however, when you spend your money, you want to make sure it's spent well in the following areas...

frame - this is the thing you live with the longest and makes one of the largest impacts to the total weight of a bike.
Fork - if you're getting suspension up front, make sure it's got a decent fork -- chintzing on this for other expensive bits will deny you decent handling, longevity and weight.
driveline - you want something that shifts well and will last you .. NEVER go XTR on your first bike -- xt in back, LX (or the equivalent) will more than suffice
brakes - since this is a major wear part, don't worry about disks right off the bat. However, make sure that the frame and fork have brake bosses. V-brakes are more than sufficient for beginners and people just getting back into it. When they wear out, you'll have had enough time to save up money for a decent mechanical brake or even a top notch hydraulic one.

Downhilling is great fun, but it's a whole other price of entry...
I'm leaning toward the Specialized Hardrock Sport right now. Puppet whats your opinion on that bike, I trust your opinion on this kind of thing. Any other brands that I should look at.

I have about $500 to spend.
I really like my Specialized, it's a gen 1 or 2 of the P. series. Little heavier than other types but it's held up well. Would recommend the brand.
My only concern is locking my bike up and not being able to keep an eye on it.
V brakes do me fine on all dry downhill runs with my KHS....even with me weighing 260lbs. and the bike being 10 years old.
FocusGuy7476,Apr 22 2008, 06:21 PM Wrote:I'm leaning toward the Specialized Hardrock Sport right now. Puppet whats your opinion on that bike, I trust your opinion on this kind of thing. Any other brands that I should look at.

I have about $500 to spend.
[right][snapback]262652[/snapback][/right]

the hardrocks are pretty nice... I don't think there's anything wrong with it...

Another option, looking at the component spec, I think you can get a bit more for the money with a Giant Yukon, which you should be able to find for about $500.

The only downside is that the fox fork that comes on the Yukon doesn't have any lockout/adjustability which the suntour has. So you get a slightly upgraded drivetrain, and a slightly less-adjustable fork. So I would suggest taking it for a ride before you buy to make sure you can live with it (or ask the bikeshop about upgrading).

Two things when you go to buy your bike... take it for a ride. The two things you want to make doubly sure of are the seat and the fork. It's cheaper to swap out while you're buying than afterwards... and any bike shop worth it's mettle will cut you a deal for swapping parts.
darkpuppet,Apr 22 2008, 05:30 PM Wrote:
Canadian ST,Apr 22 2008, 04:05 PM Wrote:I used to do the downhill racing out west and trust me disk brakes are the way to go! Even under normal ridding conditions they work so much better, so yah they are worth the $150.
[right][snapback]262638[/snapback][/right]

I believe that all depends....

because upgrading to crappy disk brakes does you no favour (anyone who's had Hope disks sieze on you know what I mean).... I'm not sure what price bracket those bikes are in, however, when you spend your money, you want to make sure it's spent well in the following areas...

frame - this is the thing you live with the longest and makes one of the largest impacts to the total weight of a bike.
Fork - if you're getting suspension up front, make sure it's got a decent fork -- chintzing on this for other expensive bits will deny you decent handling, longevity and weight.
driveline - you want something that shifts well and will last you .. NEVER go XTR on your first bike -- xt in back, LX (or the equivalent) will more than suffice
brakes - since this is a major wear part, don't worry about disks right off the bat. However, make sure that the frame and fork have brake bosses. V-brakes are more than sufficient for beginners and people just getting back into it. When they wear out, you'll have had enough time to save up money for a decent mechanical brake or even a top notch hydraulic one.

Downhilling is great fun, but it's a whole other price of entry...
[right][snapback]262649[/snapback][/right]

Yah I will agree with you that there is better ways to spend money on a bike instead off upgrading the brakes. Like you said better components and forks. I still think disc brakes are far better, though they may have no advantages in "normal riding situations"