FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2004 2.3 Duratec?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I was looking to buy a Ford Focus and my reserach tells me that some 2004 Focuses were equipped with the 2.3 Duratec engine.. but perhaps not in Canada? Can anybody clear this up for me? If the 2004 Focus could be had with the Duratec (and theres one near Toronto :P) it will surely be my next car!

Thanks in advance!
fociifann,Apr 21 2008, 10:40 PM Wrote:Hello everyone, I was looking to buy a Ford Focus and my reserach tells me that some 2004 Focuses were equipped with the 2.3 Duratec engine.. but perhaps not in Canada? Can anybody clear this up for me? If the 2004 Focus could be had with the Duratec (and theres one near Toronto :P) it will surely be my next car!

Thanks in advance!
[right][snapback]262574[/snapback][/right]

no
there was the pzev in california but i believe that was still a zetec. the 2.3 only came in the 4 door ST's also
fociifann,Apr 21 2008, 10:40 PM Wrote:Hello everyone, I was looking to buy a Ford Focus and my reserach tells me that some 2004 Focuses were equipped with the 2.3 Duratec engine.. but perhaps not in Canada? Can anybody clear this up for me? If the 2004 Focus could be had with the Duratec (and theres one near Toronto :P) it will surely be my next car!

Thanks in advance!
[right][snapback]262574[/snapback][/right]
The 2.3 starting in '03 was indeed a Duratec PZEV (23E) available only in the U.S. to meet the then stringent California emissions. Ford went with the 2.3 version at first because the emissions controls on the 2.0 cost 10 hp.

If you find an '04 with a 2.3 it is most likely a U.S. car and you should be very careful about it's history - the U.S. market is full of cars that were written off due to flood damage, but repaired and sold anyway.

If you really set on a 2.3, look for an '05 - and get all the nicer suspension and interior bits too.
Ahh thank you very much for the flood damage warning.. I also have learned that the 2005 ST focus is the one with the 2.3 duratec, and it gets the SVT focus suspension (!) as well as more horsepower than the PZEV 2.3 in the 2003/2004 cars! I was trying hard to avoid the bland, coservative interior restyle of the '05 Focus but I'll live :)

Can anybody tell me of the major changes on the '05 focus when compared to the '04 focus, aside from the obvious interior/exterior changes? You guys are the best!
fociifann,Apr 21 2008, 11:15 PM Wrote:Can anybody tell me of the major changes on the '05 focus when compared to the '04 focus, aside from the obvious interior/exterior changes? You guys are the best!
[right][snapback]262577[/snapback][/right]
Well ... aside from the change from SPI / Zetec to Duratec ... there was the introduction of the ST with the 2.3 ... the interior and exterior redesign ... and the only other major change I can think of was the upgrading of the front brakes - increasing rotor diameter by 1" and thus requiring 15" wheels as standard, up from 14" for prior years. Hmmm ... I think they might have changed the transmission too, but not sure.
No, I don't think either tranny was changed in the '05 redesign :unsure:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 22 2008, 10:13 AM Wrote:No, I don't think either tranny was changed in the '05 redesign :unsure:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262608[/snapback][/right]

Yeah - I guess you're right ... but in any event the manual tranny from '05 onward no longer features the reverse lock out ring.
fociifann,Apr 21 2008, 11:15 PM Wrote:Ahh thank you very much for the flood damage warning.. I also have learned that the 2005 ST focus is the one with the 2.3 duratec, and it gets the SVT focus suspension (!) as well as more horsepower than the PZEV 2.3 in the 2003/2004 cars! I was trying hard to avoid the bland, coservative interior restyle of the '05 Focus but I'll live :)

Can anybody tell me of the major changes on the '05 focus when compared to the '04 focus, aside from the obvious interior/exterior changes? You guys are the best!
[right][snapback]262577[/snapback][/right]

The 05-07 ST has the same type of dampers as the SVT but not the springs, they used the stock springs. The St also had rear disk brakes too. The SVT Focus would be my choice but they are comming harder to find, the St's are everywhere.
guys check out this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_%2...rica%29#Engines

it says that the '03-'04 2.3L car sold in a number of states has 145hp. I don't think this is a huge difference compared to the 151hp of the '05-'07 ST

can one of the ford guys confirm that info?

IMHO, it might not be bad for the OP to import a '03-'04 from the US (NJ, maine, NY are very close to toronto) because it would be much cheaper, the OP prefers those interiors, and i believe there are more options for suspension mods

Ahh thank you naz! Thats my exact line of thinking! With the looks of the '04 Focus and the 2.3 duratec of the '05 focus I'd be laughing! Unfortunately I've found little evidence of this car making it over to Canada. There was one ZXW on autotrader with a 2.3 litre (according to the description) with a guage cluster in KPH, so it looked Canadian. Unfortunately there was no engine-bay shot so I couldnt confirm if it indeed was a Duratec or not.

On a bit of a sidenote, what exactly is up with the Sony sound system on these cars? There seems to be 2 different kinds; one for '00 and one for '05. Did the '04's have a sony system as well? Is it safe to assume any '05+ witha 6cd changer has the Sony system?
the sony was a trim package for the focus that came with a sony xplod head unit, speakers and sub.. nothing you can't duplicate in the aftermarket easily

pretty sure the 2.3L was never imported in canada officially. if its there before '05 then someone did a grey market import or a motor swap

if i had to get a focus again i would look for either a super cheapo '03-04 zx3 hatch with the 2.3L motor or a SVT with the 'european appearance' package
naz,Apr 23 2008, 02:18 AM Wrote:the sony was a trim package for the focus that came with a sony xplod head unit, speakers and sub.. nothing you can't duplicate in the aftermarket easily

[right][snapback]262670[/snapback][/right]

What of the '05 Sony sound system? If an '05 Focus has a 6CD changer, does it have the Sony system for sure? Or was the 6CD system available with the base speakers?
fociifann,Apr 23 2008, 06:50 PM Wrote:
naz,Apr 23 2008, 02:18 AM Wrote:the sony was a trim package for the focus that came with a sony xplod head unit, speakers and sub.. nothing you can't duplicate in the aftermarket easily

[right][snapback]262670[/snapback][/right]

What of the '05 Sony sound system? If an '05 Focus has a 6CD changer, does it have the Sony system for sure? Or was the 6CD system available with the base speakers?
[right][snapback]262749[/snapback][/right]

in 2003 there was a SONY edition focus in the US, is was a ZTS model, with all the of what NAZ mentioned, kinda like the MACH Edition ZTS in 2000 also only available in the US.

the 2.3 was available in NY, NJ, PA, CA, AZ, NV, and OR, as they all have similar laws, either on the books, going to be put on the books, or was being talked about in those states, so ford sold that engine in those states, in the 2003 - 2004 model years, either stand alone, or side by side with the Zetec & SPI models.

Yes, the 2005+ ST focus all came with a SONY up grade for stereos, but it was limited, and only available on the ST, and Some 2007 SES models (it was a $695 option when new) were sold with this as an option but with "premium" ford Sound package, which left the actual radio a ford product, but everything else was SONY, all Focus came with the option of a 6 disc changer, it more common in the higher trim levels of focus, or on special editions like the Street Edition & S2 models.
Hmm, so if I get an '05 Focus ST I get the 2.3 Duratec, the SVT suspension, the Sony aftermarket stereo with the 8" subwoofer, and all the other little interior goodies? I think I'm sold, boys and girls!
...wow, the ST's sure hold their value pretty well don't they
Yeah, the STs are a sedan, slightly turned-down version of the hatchback SVTs. More torque but less horsepower, less "reviness" because of the larger engine size. One less cog in the transmission too.

They are pretty sweet for what they are, though.
fociifann,Apr 24 2008, 01:17 AM Wrote:...wow, the ST's sure hold their value pretty well don't they
[right][snapback]262777[/snapback][/right]

take a look at the other thread i posted. pick up a SVT 3dr with EAP for like $6100 from arizona and ship it over