FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stealership Scammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a couple of Stealership stories. I'm sure it happens for all manufacturers, but these are "Ford Stores".

1) one of my wife's nurses, who owns a 2004 ZX5, had a couple of problems. The first problem was her foglights blew, all at once. She took it to one dealer, was quoted $450.00. Then, her headlights went out, and it wasn't bulbs. Then she had a "big clunking sound" in the front end. So her Dad took it in to the same Ford dealer who looked at the foglight issue. It ended up costing her $300.00 to fix the foglights, headlights and the end links. She feels that if she took it in, the Service guy would have taken one look at her and would have started conting his bonus.

2) A Co-worker at my work, a blonde, good looking female, drives a 2007 Sport-Trac. She went in to the dealer to buy a foglight bulb and a rear turn signal bulb. I was going to change them for her, being the nice guy that I am. The Parts guy and the Service guy told her that it was impossible for the DIY to change the bulbs. So, at this very moment, the dealer is fixing bulbs and will probably charge an arm and a leg.

Notice the theme, both are nice, young females being taken for a financial ride.
lol
when i get nice young females come to the parts counter at canadian tire, i offer to change their wipers or bulbs for them for free ;) .
but i know what you mean about places taking advantage of them. places also do that to senior citizens. (i figured some members on here may have had that problem.....)

the one ford dealer here in town that i refuse to go to now, had a sign up behind their parts counter that their monthly "goals" for parts and for labour. i refused to bring my car for service there affter that, because i didnt know if whatever they were quoting was actually the problem.
oldguy, you may send the pretty ones down to toronto and i would personally change anything for them. ;)

as for the ugly ones, sorry, they are SOL.
that sucks man. i hate hearing stories like that. post up the stealership names so we can all ban them
the stealership in Yorkton, would not honour my mom's extended warranty on her SVTF that was bought from the dealer in Saskatoon. There was a problem with the car not starting and it had to be towed into the dealership here to get it fixed, and assumed that they would honour the extended warranty. They fix everything to get it running again, and she was without a car for 5 days and said they could not give her a loaner car.

Anyways the bill came to $600 and she had to pay for it even thought it was all covered, they gave her some BS about how they don't deal with that company for warranty and all this stuff. Contact the dealer in Saskatoon, where they said that the warranty package should be honoured at all ford dealerships and eventually got half of her money back from the company.
My wife always got taken at Ford for everything.

Everything it seems -- ends up costing $400. Brakes. Oil changes (they always found a problem), etc.

This is before I met her, and put my mad skillz to use to fix her beast on my own.
it's not uncommon for dealerships to take advantage of people that don't know how to do their own car diy on certen things.
freind of mine... also blond went to the honda dealserhip to get a price on a new intake (OEM previous owner had cracked hers)

The guy at the service department told her some long thing about how hard it would be and they would have to re flahs the ecu and blah blah blah... And at the end of it he qouteed her 470.00 just parts...

I also being a nice guy got one for her off of ebay for 40 bucks and installed it in 20 minutes...

Dealerships take people for rides.. they try to squeeze every cent out of your wallet thats why if you dont have any technical knowledge of vehicles bring a freind so they dont screw around
oldeguy,Apr 18 2008, 06:48 AM Wrote:told her that it was impossible for the DIY to change the bulbs.
[right][snapback]262370[/snapback][/right]

lol..this is the best part
I dunno, I'm looking at the owners manual for changing the headlight bulbs on my new Fusion... No way in hell can I pull that off (and I seriously doubt many people here could either) everything is jammed in there so tight :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 20 2008, 01:01 AM Wrote:I dunno, I'm looking at the owners manual for changing the headlight bulbs on my new Fusion... No way in hell can I pull that off (and I seriously doubt many people here could either) everything is jammed in there so tight :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]262474[/snapback][/right]
The thing is that I looked before I offered. Another young lady here has a Cobalt (she didn't listen to me, just like my wife ) and asked if I knew how to change a headlight bulb. I looked at it and there was no way in Hades that I could get at it without resorting to breaking out the tool box.

On a good note, the young lady with the Sport Trac bulbs cost her $30.00, no labour charged.
just a thought guys.. depending on the car in question something really could be a PITA / expensive.. for example.. changing light bulbs, plugs and wires in my focus was a snap but in my sube i can't change the 'city lights' without taking off the front bumper cover and removing the headlights, and i have to take apart a ton of stuff just to access the plugs (and when i get them its a BIATCH to get them out)

i guess to be fair we should get someone with expertise in the specific car before calling it a 'stealership'

the $400 oil change and reflash for the intake.. i would call those stealerships

the expensive bulb change.. or the brake job.. i'm not 100% sure i'd make that call yet