FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Someone's Looking Out For Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes, in my morning commute, I stop a light or stop sign and I 'tune out' a bit. Nothing major, but once in a while, I look up at a green light and wonder how long I've sat there with it green...

well, I was at a street, waiting to cross Bayview, and the light can be a long wait... and I 'tuned out'. I looked up, my light was green, and I thought to myself, "how long has that been green?".. Now, if someone were behind me honking their horn, I would have likely jackrabbited into the intersection, but I was by myself, so no panic... just better get a move on, right?

Wrong...

Just as I was about to clutch out and start rolling, a dump truck went flying through at about 65KPh right in front of me...

I doubt I missed the geen by much, but if I had been in a bigger hurry, I would have jumped that green -- and I could have very well been in front of that dumptruck...

Just a reminder folks -- it's always a good idea to check both ways before crossing and make sure everyone is stopped, or at least trying to stop before proceeding.
1) God works in mysterious ways
2) You thinkin' of the "little woman"?
3) You're too young to be Zoning Out, wait until you get to Meford's age
4) If you were driving a Focus, you would be awakeat all stops, hoping that the
light will go green before the car stalls.
Yowza DP, you sure had someone looking out for you, that could have been... "messy" :ph34r:

NefCanuck
So what's the damage?

Cleaning poopy off the driver's seat can't be cheap.

:lol:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 17 2008, 12:56 PM Wrote:So what's the damage?

Cleaning poopy off the driver's seat can't be cheap.

:lol:
[right][snapback]262275[/snapback][/right]

nah.. took a good dump only 20 minutes earlier when I woke up... but it was pretty surreal.

- see light = green
- roll foot off clu....
*rumble---brmmmmmm...*
:blink:

[Image: NeoWhoa.jpg]
Wow thats scary someones watching over you
damn. glad it worked out the way it did. when i am on my MC i use cars for 'cover' before going thru the intersection.. i forget when i'm in a car. this is a great reminder for sure
Well Im glad you werent in a hurry, they do need to crack down on dump trucks.
I hope you got the plate number of the truck and reported it to the police. dude could have killed you. we had something simmuler happen in edmonton last week. a guy driving a semi went into diabetic shock and ended up going the wrong way down yellow head for 15 km and went over the gaurd rail on an over pass onto some train tracks the driver died so they don't know completely what happened unfortuante for the driver just lucky no one else was hurt.
silvermist,Apr 18 2008, 12:10 AM Wrote:I hope you got the plate number of the truck and reported it to the police. dude could have killed you. we had something simmuler happen in edmonton last week. a guy driving a semi went into diabetic shock and ended up going the wrong way down yellow head for 15 km and went over the gaurd rail on an over pass onto some train tracks  the driver died so they don't know completely what happened unfortuante for the driver just lucky no one else was hurt.
[right][snapback]262338[/snapback][/right]

I saw that video a week or two ago.. that was insane... you see the truck driving on the wrong side of the divided highway -- hits, jumps guardrail at bridge and then you see the ball of fire shoot up when it finally hits the ground below... that is friggin scary.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the plate of the truck -- it was doing 65-70kph, which meant I would have had to follow it for some distance before it would have stopped so I could write down the plate (I have no memory).
At least you're alive and recounting all of this, Steveo. That's what matters. :D
Yeah, sometimes it pays not to "drop the hammer"! :lol:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 18 2008, 11:44 AM Wrote:Yeah, sometimes it pays not to "drop the hammer"! :lol:
[right][snapback]262392[/snapback][/right]

Booooo--urns!!!
btw... 3 more cents, and i'll turn a nice little profit on some options I received years ago.... woot!
i guess Meford missed
Lucky you were, but I do hope you look both way before taking off on a green light, no matter when!
I might be overcautious sometimes, but I remember when I was about 6-7, I was a passenger in a car that we made a stop and went on our way a then WHAM a dump truck squished the car I was in.
Stayed in the hospital for almost 2 weeks with punctured kidney and loss of blood (my elbow had a deep cut).
I don't think I have any problems today due to that accident, bbut I am cautious on stops and lights!

Be carefull guys, 'cause sometimes, we need more than luck.

Actually, I almost T-boned a Sunfire on the way into Cambridge yesterday.

Chick was pulling out of a gas station. She looked RIGHT AT ME, edged out a little (no biggie), then checked the other side and suddenly rabbited right out as I was doing 50+ KM/H.

I got to do my first "real world" panic stop in the RX-8, scared the crap out of the G/F too.

She couldn't disagree with me (after I made sure she was ok, it was a brutally fast stop) when I looked at her with a stupid grin after and said, "Great brakes, eh?"
:lol: :P