FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Went Test Driving.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's getting time to drop the old green monster.
I'm just kicking tires right now and I'm not even sure what i'm looking for. I want something sporty, but able to safely carry kids, but I don't want anything prudish either. Not sure if I want to go car or S.U.V. yet either.

I'm off this week, so I went and took some vehicles for a test drive.

First up:
[Image: 05-09-audi-a5.jpg]

Audi A5 coupe.

Really nice, sharp, handled well, and the engine sounded wonderful. I couldn't really open it up as the sales guy was a little on the uptight side. Kept asking me what I did for a living, where I lived etc... I think he was sizing up my wallet more than anything.

Nice acceleration, comfortable seats and very high-end feeling inside. The Bang & Olfsun stereo was pimp too.

Not a whole lot of head room, and your practically laying on the ground. This car was a real looker.

My good friend has an 09 and I got to drive it home one night quite aggressively so I knew what the car could do (within reason.)

Next up:
[Image: 2009-ford-edge.jpg]

Ford Edge Sport.

Loved the Edge already, this is the same car, just with the extra bling. Nice rig, looks sharp, well built and tight. Not the Ford I remember. I hope they continue to polish the diamond that Ford is these days. Wonderful product. Good bang for the buck. And that sync is pimp. I found the tires noisy, but that's because the rims are wrapped with rubber bands $$$. I'd order snows with this car right out of the show room.

Next up:
[Image: 328i_Sedan_SpaceGrayMetallic.jpg]

BMW 32i Sedan

Horrible. I aged 20 years just standing next to thing. Not to mention I just don't see myself driving one of these. nice car, just not me.

Finally.
[Image: 2010-Hyundai-Tucson-Price-Front-Side-800x533.jpg]

2010 Tuscon.

I only went here because I thought it looked neat. All new styling.
Nice inside, kinda surprising when you look closely... gutless too. It looks like it could easily fit a 6 under the hood, but instead has a tiny little 2.4L engine at 174hp The whole car is positioned around fuel consumption. This thing sips gas.

I know... I know... wide range, kind of random too. I just don't know where to start.
I'm going to hit up the auto show to sit in a bunch more.

If I had my way, I'd roll out on an STi or something impractical like that, but I need to make sure it's able to carry children. I'm off to Acura, Lexus and Nissan tomorrow.

Thoughts fellas?

im all for the edge, a friend of mine has an 07 se, just very basic and the interior is super nice, lots of power and amazing on gas with the 6 speed auto in it. thing cruises with such low RPM on highway. he also has 2 kids and car seats work well in it, along with still having room for all their s***. sync is wiked aswell along with steering wheel controls for radio. cloth seats are really nice and overall a very well thought out vehicle. plus, you can lower it and get a tune, exhaust and intake from steeda ;)
if you want to turn any wrenchs in the future, i wouldnt go with the audi. bolt-ons maybe, but VW has gone near impossible to do anything without some kind of speciality tool needed
I ain't the wrench-turnin' kind of guy.
I'm not going to mod the new car too much (rims and maybe an intake)
I really like that Edge, nice looking piece indeed. Don't know anything about A5's but that would be my second choice from your list.

If you're interested in STi then you should check out toronto-subaru-club.com in their classify section and find some that go much cheapper then at the dealer ('08-'09). Enough power,AWD, 4 door, 5 sitter, good amount of room...mmmm me want
Lincoln MKS or a loaded Fusion........ :huh:
I'll be blunt, you didn't mention which of the 3 series you were concidering other then 32, but I'll tell you this: If you get a bmw in any other colour other then Graphite Gray, or Saphire Black it will cost you $800 - $1000 more just because you picked another colour other then those two.

the base 3 series is the 320i, it come with ok stuff but you will not get leather in it, unless you pay more for the next level of the 3 series, the 325i. The 320i comes with vinyl seats, and after 2 years they will show major wear and tear on them.

Hyundai - unless you plan on keeping a hyundai for more then 10 years or driving it into the ground, their resale value is very very poor. Infact they made #2 on the list for worst vehicle resale values for the last 10 years. Hyundai has been in the #2 spot for worst resale values since 2000 when Kia took the #1 spot.

Audi S5, nice cars and I agree with you totally anthony, I have drives a few here at my work and I like them, but I find that in the ones that have the mode of driving select, I found myself in advanced more then anything else, and I agree about the head room as I find with most cars with power seat that they never seem to go low enough for taller people.

Since you mentioned Lexus, Remember they are having some issues with their cars since they are toyotas, and a few have been recalled, and more will be recalled soon. plus I honestly don't think you'd buy one as you have stated you dislike toyota's line up, and lexus is more dull and boring then toyota.

IF you really want a safe car, have you even concidered a Volvo? if you are planing to have kids the XC90 is the perfect car for families as they have loads of standard features, including a built in car seat (2nd row), pop up rear 3rd row seats, and everything is super easy to set up in these as these SUV's as these were built around what a typical family needs, plus there is a V8 option, and R design package, and you know Volvo is the safety leader.
GLK, its nice sporty and kid friendly. Not that expensive either. Its actually cheaper then the C Class.

Tiquan or Q5, not sure why the hell you would pick A5 if you have kids in mind.

Thats for your sporty SUV class.

For car class i would say again, C Class, A4 or A6. New Jetta(TDI) :), new legacy is really nice and cheap as well. IS250 AWD or IS350.

Test drive those and get back to me :)
ANTHONYD,Feb 5 2010, 12:25 AM Wrote:If I had my way, I'd roll out on an STi or something impractical like that, but I need to make sure it's able to carry children.[right][snapback]300779[/snapback][/right]

Reid's Baby seat fits fine in my wrx, same space/design as the STi
I'll chime in here and again pimp for the Fusion since you were looking at other sedans.

The 2010 redesign fixes most of the niggles I have with mine that would drive you nuts (The HVAC controls practically on the floor is one that drives me bonkers) but since it is the automatic system I set it and forget it.

The bigger 4 banger in the 2010 MY can be had with a manual, 170HP makes the car move, even with an automatic (the 6spd. Aslin)

Decent power from the 3.0 V6 stock, the 2010 MY redesign squeezed a few more ponies out of it too (and there are bolt ons / ECU reflashes that net you even more) and the resdesigned dash is pimp.

Only way to get the manumatic V6 option is to step up to the Sport, 3.5L which in Canada only comes in AWD trim. 263HP is nice but there is fuel penalty, though it only requires 87 gas.

There are lots of bolt ons already for the 2010MY cars and more are coming. If you want to see my car come to Performance World and look for the SVTOA Toronto booth to see where the car is now ;)

NefCanuck
I love the A5 , seen alot of them in Europe , mostly diesels , awesome looking car . They were just flying by me on the autobahn .It spells luxury and performance and i think fat wallet too . Not sure about the practicallity for a family with kids .
Go test drive a Taurus. SHO.

Then come back here.
My next car will be an edge Sport, waiting on a dealer demo they are a bit pricey brand new. But I found the 22's were not too much worse on ride than the 18's. ( Driven both) A5 is awesome but less practical for a future family, the others Ive never looked at or driven. Beemer looks a little dull.
David
meford4u,Feb 5 2010, 05:02 PM Wrote:Go test drive a Taurus.  SHO.

Then come back here.
[right][snapback]300822[/snapback][/right]

A SHO is a great car, but I'm not sure he needs 365HP on tap :P

NefCanuck
I've got an appointment a 3:00 to take the SHO out.
Discovery has one on demo.
I read an article about the SHO and the conclusion was that seats and suspension are not matched properly with the engine capabilities , meaning that they don't offer the right support and handling . It's just another big boat with a strong engine that cannot handle hard cornering and if you try , you fall out of the seat . But it's good for light to light drag racing .
The SHO is all hype If you YouTube it you will see many videos pairing it against other cars in it's class and they
out perform the SHO in almost everything. I think it looks nice, but it's not something I would purchase.

If your thinking about kids the a5 is not a great choice unless it's a dedicated daily work comuter or just something to have fun on the weekends that you an your wife can share. You really only need one car if you have kids.

After driving both the a5 and the bimmer, I will agree the bimmer just doesn't have it untill you step up a model or go into a m categorey. I would have never said this a couple years ago, but the interors and exteriors in the new VAG cars are by far the best looking.
Gabriel,Feb 6 2010, 11:02 AM Wrote:I read an article about the SHO and the conclusion was that seats and suspension are not matched properly with the engine capabilities , meaning that they don't offer the right support and handling  . It's just another big boat with a strong engine that cannot handle hard cornering and if you try , you fall out of the seat . But it's good for light to light drag racing .
[right][snapback]300843[/snapback][/right]

Sort of the same issue I have with the seats in my Fusion. Great seats to sit in but yeesh almost nil lateral support when you're pushing it. The redesigned seats in the '10 Fusion certainly seemed better at holding you in place, at least from the passenger side.

Hrm, I wonder if '10 seats would be a bolt in swap, interesting...

NefCanuck
Why don't you test a VW Passat ?

[right][snapback]300843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sort of the same issue I have with the seats in my Fusion. Great seats to sit in but yeesh almost nil lateral support when you're pushing it. The redesigned seats in the '10 Fusion certainly seemed better at holding you in place, at least from the passenger side.

Hrm, I wonder if '10 seats would be a bolt in swap, interesting...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]300853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well , do something , the 2010 SVTOA is " just " around the corner :D
Pages: 1 2 3