FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: It's Official, Mk3 Focus Will Use The C1 Platform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Next-generation Ford Focus to be global car based on C1 platform.
Source: Leftlanenews.

While its been rumored for sometime now that Ford will eventually bring the Euro-Focus over to the States, we now have official confirmation and even a time frame. Ford's product chief, Derrick Kuzak, made the announcement during the SAE World Congress in Detroit.

According to Kuzak, the next-generation Ford Focus will be a global vehicle and will ride on the C1 platform — the same that underpins the current European Ford Focus.

Kuzak also says that about 87 percent of the parts for the next-generation car will come from Ford's global parts bin — a move that will reduce costs and further globalize Ford's engineering efforts.

The good news is that because the Focus will now be a global car, we could see the hotter Focus RS or ST for sale here in North America. The downside is that the new car isn't slated to make its debut until 2010 or 2011.
EDIT: awesome i can't wait to purchase another focus! i've been waiting for this chance to rejoin the ford family !! super duper
Well that should work out nicely, by 2011 I should be in the market for a new car, this would fit the bill, assuming it doesn't get butchered on the way across the ocean.
When at the dealership today they said in 2009 we will also have the Festiva here as well.
naz,Apr 14 2008, 08:01 PM Wrote:also, is ford still going to be around for the 2011 model year  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]262012[/snapback][/right]
:rolleyes: Don't worry, they'll be around longer than you'll see Subaru.
and by the time the focus i wanted 3 years ago is here ill be driving the camaro ive always wanted
ZX5focused,Apr 14 2008, 09:47 PM Wrote:and by the time the focus i wanted 3 years ago is here ill be driving the camaro ive always wanted
[right][snapback]262025[/snapback][/right]

I dunno, with GM quality you may be pushing the Camaro that you've always wanted :D

NefCanuck
Frost__2001,Apr 14 2008, 07:54 PM Wrote:Next-generation Ford Focus to be global car based on C1 platform.
According to Kuzak, the next-generation Ford Focus will be a global vehicle and will ride on the C1 platform — the same that underpins the current European Ford Focus.

[right][snapback]262011[/snapback][/right]

I wonder if this means they're considering moving Mazda5 production to NA as it too is C1 based ... and who knows, maybe a Ford C-Max. My wife's ZTW will be going soon and so far the Mazda5 is the designated replacement ... it would have been nice to stay with Ford for a 4-banger family vehicle ... anyone at Ford have some secret insight into that question?
OAC_Sparky,Apr 15 2008, 02:32 AM Wrote:
naz,Apr 14 2008, 08:01 PM Wrote:also, is ford still going to be around for the 2011 model year  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]262024[/snapback][/right]

you want to elaborate on that Sparky.
How's Mitsubishi doing? Just because a company turns a profit today doesn't mean they'll turn it tomorrow. Just because a company is owned by a profitable one doesn't mean that it'll float it forever.

But what Ford has that Subaru doesn't have, is the owners name on the building -- not just Bill Ford, but the Ford family -- not the common stock holders, but the Class A shareholders. So the company is not "just a venture" to them. So you take a company with 105 year in the business that's sitting on 25 billion in CASH and at least 5 times that in assets, and you think it's going bankrupt anytime soon?

Ford is profitable everywhere in the world except North America, and that is changing. Ford went from losing a lot more than 3 billion a year before to less than 3 last year. Ford was unprofitable at times in its history, and have come back to being profitable many times as well.
http://www.lloyds.com/CmsPhoenix/DowJonesA....aspx?id=387896

Focus
---------------
January
11,600 +44%

February
16,302 +10.2%

March
21,168 +24%

Corolla
-------------
January
20,713 -18.7%

February
21,202 -28.1%

March
25,109 -21.3%

What goes up, also comes down. And vice versa.
Let's hope that Ford will make them all look the same, and the same line up. Bring over the Euro minivans, and the Falcon from Australia. But, no Chinese Focus for me please!

On a side note, Toyota seems to purchasing more of Subaru than they presently own. Toyota is turning out to be the GM of Japan, eventually, the profit line will outweigh the quality line, and Toyota and it's subsidaries will go through some tough times. I find it amazing that the number of recalls for Toyota, honduh, etc, are rising, and no one in the media makes a big deal. Ford's recalls are declining, but again, no one makes a big deal about it. Ten years ago, how many of you would have thought about Mercedes and BMW having quality issues?
interesting headline...

Quote:FORD INCREASES PRODUCTION OF FOCUS AT WAYNE ASSEMBLY TO KEEP UP WITH RISING SALES

Ford Motor Company said today that North American production of the Ford Focus will increase by nearly 30 percent in 2008 to keep pace with strong demand for the newly redesigned small car.

In the first three months of 2008, Ford sold 49,070 Focus units – an increase of 23 percent from the same time period last year. Importantly, retail sales were up 35 percent, while fleet sales declined slightly. The Focus now claims 7.6 percent of the U.S. small car market, 1.2 percentage points better than a year ago.

Markets always seem to swing back and forth... With a bit of smart management and care, the american car companies will come back into vogue.

Toyota needs to learn from GM's lesson... fast, strong growth is good, but only for a while. Eventually markets plateau, and they could get caught with more than they can reasonably manage.

I don't know if Mitsubishi will be around for a long time. Their cars have come a long way, but their build quality has never impressed me. I remember the 1st autoshow I went to a few years back -- the girl taking info for mitsubishi put her pen and paper on the hood of the eclipse -- the pen rolled off, and fell into the panel gap between the hood and fender.

This year was the 1st year I couldn't stick my thump in a panel gap on a mitsu, but the cars in person still don't impress as much as some cheaper alternatives.

I really think the current three big japanese manufacturers are turning into the NA Big three... and they're about to get surprised by competitors such as Hyundai and Kia....
darkpuppet,Apr 15 2008, 08:49 AM Wrote:interesting headline...

Quote:FORD INCREASES PRODUCTION OF FOCUS AT WAYNE ASSEMBLY TO KEEP UP WITH RISING SALES

Ford Motor Company said today that North American production of the Ford Focus will increase by nearly 30 percent in 2008 to keep pace with strong demand for the newly redesigned small car.

In the first three months of 2008, Ford sold 49,070 Focus units – an increase of 23 percent from the same time period last year. Importantly, retail sales were up 35 percent, while fleet sales declined slightly. The Focus now claims 7.6 percent of the U.S. small car market, 1.2 percentage points better than a year ago.

Markets always seem to swing back and forth... With a bit of smart management and care, the american car companies will come back into vogue.

Toyota needs to learn from GM's lesson... fast, strong growth is good, but only for a while. Eventually markets plateau, and they could get caught with more than they can reasonably manage.

I don't know if Mitsubishi will be around for a long time. Their cars have come a long way, but their build quality has never impressed me. I remember the 1st autoshow I went to a few years back -- the girl taking info for mitsubishi put her pen and paper on the hood of the eclipse -- the pen rolled off, and fell into the panel gap between the hood and fender.

This year was the 1st year I couldn't stick my thump in a panel gap on a mitsu, but the cars in person still don't impress as much as some cheaper alternatives.

I really think the current three big japanese manufacturers are turning into the NA Big three... and they're about to get surprised by competitors such as Hyundai and Kia....
[right][snapback]262044[/snapback][/right]
Let's just hope that FORD REALIZES THAT THE fOCUS IS A HOT COMMODITY BECAUSE OF THE PRICE OF GAS, NOT IT'S 'GOOD LOOKS'
Well, it's about time.
It should have been like this since gen2 of the Focus.
Ford woud of cut cost but I guess us NA residents were not ready fr such a platform.
I don't think I'll be geting it when it comes out, even if its "all that".
We just had our 3rd son last Thursday, so space is kinda primary now when choosing a vehicule!
I can maybe see a Fusion in my future ;) Hopefully an SVT model will be out be then.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 14 2008, 10:32 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]262024[/snapback][/right]

doubt that
darkpuppet,Apr 15 2008, 07:49 AM Wrote:I really think the current three big japanese manufacturers are turning into the NA Big three... and they're about to get surprised by competitors such as Hyundai and Kia....
[right][snapback]262044[/snapback][/right]

Interesting that you should mention Hyundai and Kia since they are owned by the same company (Hyundai Heavy Industries IIRC)

Hyundai has been relentlessly pushing themselves upmarket while leaving Kia as more of an entry level brand. I think it's a good strategy for them when the Chinese automakers start their push into N. America.

As to Mitsubishi, I like the designs, its the execution of them that is sorely lacking (and why they needed to "give away the store" with those ten year warranties...)

NefCanuck
oldeguy,Apr 15 2008, 08:56 AM Wrote:Let's just hope that FORD REALIZES THAT THE fOCUS IS A HOT COMMODITY BECAUSE OF THE PRICE OF GAS, NOT IT'S 'GOOD LOOKS'
[right][snapback]262047[/snapback][/right]
In your opinion.

Back when I joined here, people here hated the '05s. Now the '05 people hate the '08s.

If it was "only" the gas mileage, why are Corolla sales dropping?
Pages: 1 2