FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Is Puttering!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the title pretty much says it all.....it just started to do this, this evening....I did get gas this morning and drove home from Bolton and everything was fine. Then, when I went to start it again around 4:30 it was sluggish....I drove off and everytime I stopped, the car would die! All the vacuum hoses seem ok and all the plug wires are plugged in.....What do you guys think this could be? Maybe a bad fuel pump?

Any input would be awesome!
hit any potholes?? (fuel pump safety switch)
can you hear the fuel pump priming when you switch the key to the "on" position without starting it?
could also be your Idle Air Control.

coudl also be your egr, but i dont think that would cause it to stall out.
Around this time of year the gas stations are changing from a winter blend to a summer one and you mentioned getting gas, your car/ECU may just be getting used to the change maybe? Top up with gas from a different station if possible and maybe a higher grade.

Then there is the old DPFE thing depending on what year your car is.

With temperatures being all over the place this time of year there is consdensation issues within the tank too.

That is all I got I am afraid.
Its not the safety switch...I have a engine light on now....I only fill up at Sunoco and today I filled the tank up with 94 octane

When the car is in idle it struggles to stay running....when you press the gas it does the same until the rpms go past 2000, it runs fine....could it be my throttle body?

My car is a 2003 SVT focus
Dirty MAF? Did you recently clean your air filter and over-oil it? Hose it down with some brake cleaner maybe...
check focus fanatics if you haven't already i remember reading with the older motors something about the TPS sticking, vaccuum lines leaking, my dads 03 zx5 did it a couple times too, then it just went away and his is bone stock. if the CEL is on, first matter of business is read the code.
I don't think it would be the fuel pump the SVT are awsome but it is a possibility if you need to get someone to look at it tony give me a call
a long time ago something similar happened in my '00 zx3. i took a shot in the dark and disconnected the battery terminals , had a coffee to wait for the ECU to reset, hooked it back up and everything ran fine afterwards

before you try that though make sure you get the code read.

good luck
good tip make sure you tighten the terminals real good when u put it back in
Fuel filter clogged? Couple of bad tanks of gas with lots of sediment?
get the code read, guessing does not nothing!
So heres the update....Ford said it was the VCT solonoid and it was throwing my timing off