FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mini Vs Zx3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is a better all round buy? A 2006 Mini, automatic, or a 2007 ZX3 with a GFX package, automatic?
Focus for the Mofo Win
Neither, get a manual. :D
If they are the same price, has to be the MINI.
I think it all depends... The mini is arguably the better driver's car, hell, it may even be the better car in general.

But they're not the most practical car, and, after looking at autotrader, I'd say you may be better off with the focus..

A used 2006 Mini on autotrader with 103,000km on it goes for about $19,500,

And a 2007 focus starts at about $14,000...

So, is the used 2006 mini really 5 grand better than a focus? Not really (IMO).... and I'm sure you could easily find the focus for much less than 14,000 grand.

And the focus is still a decent driving car, has tonnes of space, and is overall just more practical... but it's just a focus.

The main thing about the mini is the Relyability did not improve until the 2008 model year. Yes you get more standard options in the mini but with the automatics you have to be very careful with them as if the tranny starts to go, you loose reverse first. Mini (BMW) dose not repair their transmissions or sell replacement parts for the Mini, they only replace them, and to do that is $7,000 - $12,000 depending on which version of mini you get, and the labour added involved in changing it out. Also the quality score are very poor for the early generation mini's I can tell you this as Mini & BMW are part of my accounts at my work, it's why the 2005's with over 100k are selling from $9,000 - $12,000.
When me and Andrew went to BMW's test autocross style day. There they presented their Mini agains Mazda3,VW GTi and some other sport compact. We got to drive all 4 at the small track with lots of turns, accelartion run, braking ect.

Hands down it was mini (turbo). But even N/A it handles like a go cart. Even my Focus with upgraded suspension did not handle like that (even though I thought it did).

So it depends what you like. Focus is a bit bigger car.
zx3 = newer less km

mini = older more km

id say zx3 is a better buy. in stock form you could argue the the mini is better. but with the money you would save you could so some slight mods to the zx3 and make it a much nicer car.

ie SVT suspension

pluss its a ford....
Jmountney1,Feb 4 2010, 11:05 AM Wrote:zx3 = newer less km

mini = older more km

id say zx3 is a better buy. in stock form you could argue the the mini is better. but with the money you would save you could so some slight mods to the zx3 and make it a much nicer car.

ie SVT suspension

This is old guy you're talking to...I doubt any mods will be done. More like drive to work and drive home.  :P

pluss its a ford....
:ph34r: <<<<<<<<
[right][snapback]300716[/snapback][/right]
hey, I've done a couple.....small ones, but still done a couple. If I did buy a newer to me vehicle, it has to be reliable first, fun second. BUT, ABSOLUTELY, NO TOYOTA.
NikiterZTS,Feb 4 2010, 12:20 PM Wrote:
Jmountney1,Feb 4 2010, 11:05 AM Wrote:zx3 = newer less km

mini = older more km

ie SVT suspension

This is old guy you're talking to...I doubt any mods will be done. More like drive to work and drive home.  :P

pluss its a ford....
:ph34r: <<<<<<<<
[right][snapback]300716[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]300719[/snapback][/right]
i meant it like if you wanted more sporty handling out of the zx3 but still stock reliability.

:P :P
We test drove the NA mini and really enjoyed it. Slow as hell, but handles like it was built on rails. No room though. We opened that hatch and decided you can fit a couple bags of groceries and thats about it.

The issue really is, what do you value more?

A better driving dynamic out of the box for the Mini, but a smaller car with likely worse reliability than the car you are comparing it to.

vs.

A newer, likely more reliable car with more storage space that can be made to handle better?

You can fix suspension complaints (I've done it) but you can't fix a lack of space and the reliability thing is an issue for a car that you want to drive daily.

NefCanuck
other things to consider..

The focus weighs only 4% more than the mini, but has 13% more HP.

NikiterZTS,Feb 4 2010, 11:56 AM Wrote:When me and Andrew went to BMW's test autocross style day. There they presented their Mini agains Mazda3,VW GTi and some other sport compact. We got to drive all 4 at the small track with lots of turns, accelartion run, braking ect.

Hands down it was mini (turbo). But even N/A it handles like a go cart. Even my Focus with upgraded suspension did not handle like that (even though I thought it did).

So it depends what you like. Focus is a bit bigger car.
[right][snapback]300714[/snapback][/right]

That was realllllyyyy Fun even the bigger mini with the new hatch was super fun to drive but only on the track as where would you drive like that on the streets.
NefCanuck,Feb 4 2010, 12:16 PM Wrote:A newer, likely more reliable car with more storage space that can be made to handle better?

[right][snapback]300726[/snapback][/right]

This is not entirely true.
I would go for Focus . I never drove a Mini , just sat in one at the Auto Show . Very nice interior , rich looking , but also kind of small ( I am not a big guy and prefer compact cars ) . Almost no storage , glove box etc and a very small trunk . Years ago when I was shopping for a car , out of the Neon SRT4 , Mazda Protege Speed , Acura RSX and Focus SVT ,that I have considered at that time , the Focus 5 door had the most useful interior and options . Not so reliable like the japanese , but useful , decent look ( design ) , performance and lower insurance rates .
Gabriel,Feb 4 2010, 05:29 PM Wrote:I would go for Focus . I never drove a Mini , just sat in one at the Auto Show . Very nice interior , rich looking , but also kind of  small ( I am not a big guy and prefer compact cars ) . Almost no storage  , glove box etc and a very small trunk . Years ago when I was shopping for a car , out of the Neon SRT4 , Mazda Protege Speed , Acura RSX and Focus SVT ,that I have considered at that time , the Focus 5 door had the most useful interior and options . Not so reliable like the japanese , but useful , decent look ( design )  , performance and lower insurance rates .
[right][snapback]300760[/snapback][/right]

i almost think srt-4 or RSX would have been a better choice........don't you remember those RSX's at the track? :ph34r:
type S's are killer
NikiterZTS,Feb 4 2010, 06:56 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Feb 4 2010, 05:29 PM Wrote:I would go for Focus . I never drove a Mini , just sat in one at the Auto Show . Very nice interior , rich looking , but also kind of  small ( I am not a big guy and prefer compact cars ) . Almost no storage  , glove box etc and a very small trunk . Years ago when I was shopping for a car , out of the Neon SRT4 , Mazda Protege Speed , Acura RSX and Focus SVT ,that I have considered at that time , the Focus 5 door had the most useful interior and options . Not so reliable like the japanese , but useful , decent look ( design )  , performance and lower insurance rates .
[right][snapback]300760[/snapback][/right]

i almost think srt-4 or RSX would have been a better choice........don't you remember those RSX's at the track? :ph34r:
type S's are killer
[right][snapback]300761[/snapback][/right]
Well the srt-4 is an ugly piece of s*** , cheap looking inside , strong powertrain though , sedan , not as usefull as a hatch for me . Then comes the RSX -Type S that I love , but it's a 2 door coupe , next thing after Integra , with high insurance rates (1) . On top of that , higher price than Focus SVT with no discounts (2).I got my SVT at about 10000$ under the RSX Type S msrp . Also (1) + (2) = more than I could afford . Back then I had no idea that I was going to go to the track .
You can't fit golf clubs in the mini.

Focus.
Pages: 1 2