FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Failed Etest...!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys i need some help suggestions on what i need to do....

My NO ppm read 860, limit was 505

i have no idea what this is or how to correct it...

running screamin demon coil/wires, obx race header, and flex/cat combo before the cat back

all my other readings were super low
You should have told buddy that you converted to 4wd and they just do a idle check
EGR system working?
ZX3_2NV,Apr 8 2008, 11:28 AM Wrote:You should have told buddy that you converted to 4wd and they just do a idle check
[right][snapback]261532[/snapback][/right]

yeah i wish....

oldeguy,Apr 8 2008, 11:39 AM Wrote:EGR system working?
[right][snapback]261533[/snapback][/right]

as far as i know, hasn't been disconected
how old are your plugs/airfilter?
Flofocus,Apr 8 2008, 12:01 PM Wrote:how old are your plugs/airfilter?
[right][snapback]261535[/snapback][/right]

Plugs are new last year with the coil pack/wires

filter is K&n drop in and was claned last year, and i only drove the car like 3-4 times last year
Injector Cleaner, Run the car for atleast 1 hour before Test, Higher then normal revs, Going to the test.

This worked for me Without a Cat on :)
if the cat is underbody it might have cooled off before the test.

i agree with what the others said about plugs etc.. but you might want to try just really beating on the car to get the cat nice and hot and then making sure you can get tested right away
naz,Apr 8 2008, 12:18 PM Wrote:if the cat is underbody it might have cooled off before the test.

i agree with what the others said about plugs etc.. but you might want to try just really beating on the car to get the cat nice and hot and then making sure you can get tested right away
[right][snapback]261540[/snapback][/right]

yeah i tried that ran it for an hour before, filled up with 91 (also had to do 91 for pre-PW kit install), got there a few mins before my appointment..... then it sat there for close to an hour before they took it in :angry:

i dunno... i might wait until i burn up some of the gas(since it's right full) and dump a jug of Methal Hydrate(camper fuel, also the same as gasline anti-freeze) in the tank so it's heat the cat up good
Chromey,Apr 8 2008, 01:15 PM Wrote:Injector Cleaner, Run the car for atleast 1 hour before Test, Higher then normal revs, Going to the test.

This worked for me Without a Cat on :)
[right][snapback]261539[/snapback][/right]
Not trying ot be an ass, but I really doubt you passed without a Cat at all.

I failed the etest lots and lots of times, and it was because if my cat and its location.
To lower your NO, you want to either add innert gas into the chamber, reduce combustion temps or ensure the CAT is operating properly.

That being said, the easiest thing for you to control is the combustion temps... may want to make sure your car isn't running lean at the RPMs/loads that they do the test at, put in a higher octane (or lower octane with alcohol in it), or bring the car in cold(ish).

that can help lower your NO emissions, but could also increase your hydrocarbon count.
I had a Buick fail the e-test, because the EGR system was all #$%$^ up, wires had melted somehow. I paid them the extra money to do the diagnostic, $130.00, and the cost of the repair was over the threshold of, at the time, $400.00. Car was given a conditional pass, which means, I think, that you can't sell it without telling the buyer that it failed the e-test.
Where did you get it tested?
SL8RZZX3,Apr 8 2008, 05:26 PM Wrote:then it sat there for close to an hour before they took it in  :angry:
[right][snapback]261542[/snapback][/right]

i think that's likely the cause of failure right there.

i wouldn't bother with any tricks yet .. just try to be the first guy to be tested in the morning.. wail on the car before taking it and get the sucker hooked up ASAP. just running the car doesn't help, you need to drive hard. there is a big difference in EGT from idling, normal running and hard driving.. IMHO if your primary cat is underbody and aftermarket you really want to make sure it has as much heat as possible going into the test
Leaky cat?
pust some of that stuff "Pass Etest" or whatever its called....and take the car for a good rip....HW is a really good idea.....i had to take my car for like 25-30min run when i had the same combo of mods
Car wasn't driven much? Possibly carbon deposits in the combustion chamber causing high combustion temps. Try running a good injector/combustion cleaner through it (Lucas, etc.). Or, you could Seafoam it. :D

Also, where is your timing set at? Retarding timing will also work to lower temps.

Ryan
Haha I just Seafoamed mine and let me tell ya, I've never seen a focus smoke like that before! :lol: Regardless that stuff works amazing, my gas milage is actually better than before and I still use my lead foot.
bad MAF Sensor, I had that problem in my 01 a while back. Too abd for me it cast like $200 for the replacement.
I've got a few cans of Seafoam I picked up stateside last year ... how exactly did you use it that it generated lots of smoke?

Burnin21,Apr 8 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:Haha I just Seafoamed mine and let me tell ya, I've never seen a focus smoke like that before! :lol: Regardless that stuff works amazing, my gas milage is actually better than before and I still use my lead foot.
[right][snapback]261567[/snapback][/right]
ZTWsquared,Apr 9 2008, 10:18 AM Wrote:I've got a few cans of Seafoam I picked up stateside last year ... how exactly did you use it that it generated lots of smoke?

Burnin21,Apr 8 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:Haha I just Seafoamed mine and let me tell ya, I've never seen a focus smoke like that before! :lol: Regardless that stuff works amazing, my gas milage is actually better than before and I still use my lead foot.
[right][snapback]261567[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]261597[/snapback][/right]

I did it with mu justy, just sucke din the intake, and caused a LOT of smoke. I had to stop because I was scared of really pissing off my neighboors. :blink:
Pages: 1 2