FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Four-cylinder Ecoboost Ford Edge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 630edge.jpg]

Here's some very exciting news, especially if you're into that whole forced-induction cult thing: Ford is reportedly set to show off its new four-cylinder EcoBoost engine under the hood of the overhauled-for-2011 Edge. To refresh you memory, EcoBoost is Ford speak for turbocharging plus direct injection. In the case of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost found in cars like the Ford Flex EcoBoost, the forced induction, direct injected motor makes much more power than the naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 (355 horsepower compared to 262 hp), yet gets identical fuel economy (16 city/22 highway).

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost that The Detroit News promises is coming in the substantially refreshed Edge is said to be as powerful as a 3.0-liter V6. We'll take that to mean about 240 or so horsepower. Sure, that's not a very exciting power figure in the Edge, but it will probably make for some sexy fuel economy figures. And just image how thrilling this news will be when the 2.0-liter EcoBoost Focus comes out? Or, Mulally willing, an EcoBoosted Fiesta! Even a Fusion with this new motor (and a manual transmission) would be very, very welcome. We should know much more next week in Chicago.

I believe that the Focus will only have a 1.6L ecoboost engine pushing 180HP. And the 2.0L will be pushing 230. According to Wiki anyways :) Doesn't look like the 2.0L will be available in Focus platform, but you never know.. Might be an upgrade option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
355hp that is sexy
We've built a couple of these, nice.

The Lincoln MKX is also going to be available with the 3.7na from the MKT and Mustang with over 300hp.

The 2011 MKX gets more power
Ford’s 3.7-liter Duratec V6 that comes equipped with Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) to increase horsepower and torque without a drop in fuel economy compared to the outgoing V6. Lincoln says the new V6 provides best-in-class power and torque for a V6, as well as unsurpassed highway fuel economy of 25 miles per gallon.

Total horsepower rings in at 305 – a 15 percent bump, and torque totals 280 lb-ft. for a 12 percent improvement. The 2011 MKX also features a new six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission.
are ecoboost vehicles going to have better brakes and suspension?
My question (though I likely know the answer) is can an Ecoboost four banger Edge do any towing? I would say the answer is no and that might turn people off if they want to do any hauling with their Edge.

NefCanuck
I was worried about that as I'll be looking for an Edge this summer and was pondering maybe waiting for the new model but if it can't tow then forget about it.
Well, for towing torque is what matters and usually boosted engines offer a lot of that. So not sure, we'll see what Ford says.
Most Edge owners that tow would opt for the bigger engine. The Ecoboost engine offers a better mileage alternative for people transport. Many Edge owners never entertain any notions of towing.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 4 2010, 03:16 PM Wrote:Most Edge owners that tow would opt for the bigger engine. The Ecoboost engine offers a better mileage alternative for people transport. Many Edge owners never entertain any notions of towing.
[right][snapback]300745[/snapback][/right]

Just like most Fusion AWD owners never take their car out in the snow? :lol:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 4 2010, 10:49 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Feb 4 2010, 03:16 PM Wrote:Most Edge owners that tow would opt for the bigger engine. The Ecoboost engine offers a better mileage alternative for people transport. Many Edge owners never entertain any notions of towing.

Just like most Fusion AWD owners never take their car out in the snow? :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]300776[/snapback][/right]
ya basically...

people who tow stuff usually get a pick up or larger SUV if its something serious. also i can see how towing can be an issue if your someone who wants to take a small boat, trailer etc... but really, i dont see an issue as a focus can tow a seado if it really wanted to... the edge should be able to take a small boat or smaller trailer. if your talking towing car trailers forget it unless u have larger motor. i had a hard enough time helping a buddy pick up a jetta with a car trailer in my 1500 suburban. PITA when electric brakes dont work on the highway and the brakes you have are on their way out...

OAC_Sparky,Feb 4 2010, 04:16 PM Wrote:Most Edge owners that tow would opt for the bigger engine. The Ecoboost engine offers a better mileage alternative for people transport. Many Edge owners never entertain any notions of towing.

I guess the new eco boost edge is to compete with VW's Tigan I just found out its 2.0 Turbo like the GTI I believe with no bigger motor option.