FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Reminder: Avoid Enthusiastic Driving This Spring!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now, I can't really comment on the appropriateness of the convictions, since I don't know the circumstances surrounding them, however, according to CityTV, a record number of drivers have been charged with street racing just this past weekend.

So folks, please remember to drive a bit more cautiously this spring. As the OPP starts their spring/summer crackdown blitz, I can imagine the trigger fingers on the radar guns will be itchier than usual.

Besides, there's plenty of upcoming track events and whatnot to get your race on. Keep it off the streets.

Quote:Record Number Of Drivers Charged With Street Racing Over The Weekend
Monday April 7, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff
OPP officers were kept busy on the first spring-like weekend of the year, charging a record number of drivers with street racing.

Despite frequent warnings from police about obeying the rules of the road, dozens of motorists now face charges under new provincial legislation.

"When the temperature goes up, unfortunately, the speed goes up. When the speed goes up, we've got problems," OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said Sunday. "In the last 24 hours, 50 people were charged with street racing under new legislation. That's more than double what we normally see."

The new laws allow police to seize the vehicle and licence of those charged with street racing. Since they took effect last May, nearly 3,500 people have had their licences suspended.

It's believed speed was a factor in a crash on Highway 401 near the Avenue Rd. exit early Sunday. The OPP said seven people were in the van, and only three of them were wearing seatbelts. The vehicle rolled several times before catching fire.

The three people wearing seatbelts suffered minor injuries, four others were ejected. An off-duty Canadian Forces medic is being credited with saving their lives - he managed to keep them alive until ambulances arrived to transport them to hospital.

There's no word on whether charges will be laid in the crash.
im sure that van was street racing too :rolleyes:
honestly if your doing 50 over anywhere other then on the highway, your an idiot, and a threat to everyones safety really, and from what I heard most people cought in the 19 - 25 age bracket are cought on city streets.
But notice how a minivan speeding (and despite what I'd read in one newspaper) I'd bet a week's pay that van was doing 50 over and yet I see no screeching about hitting them with "Fantino's 50" :rolleyes:

If that was a BMW? Hell the torches & pitchforks would be out stat...

The hypocrisy annoys me <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 7 2008, 08:25 PM Wrote:If that was a BMW?  Hell the torches & pitchforks would be out stat...

one less bimmer.. is that a bad thing?
darkpuppet,Apr 8 2008, 08:34 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 7 2008, 08:25 PM Wrote:If that was a BMW?  Hell the torches & pitchforks would be out stat...

one less bimmer.. is that a bad thing?
[right][snapback]261503[/snapback][/right]
No
good on em'
Bust em' all!
I've only known one BMW owner who was a nice guy, other than Flofocus. He only bought the BMW because his wife insisted that a "man of his stature, and income needed a BMW" He's a Doctor. Shortly afterwards, he divorced his wife and BMW.
Frost__2001,Apr 7 2008, 06:35 PM Wrote:honestly if your doing 50 over anywhere other then on the highway, your an idiot,
[right][snapback]261486[/snapback][/right]

Good thing I set the cruise control at 148km/hr on the 401.

Dont want to be an idiot or anything. :rolleyes:

Quote:The hypocrisy annoys me

fawkin agreed.

Quote:one less bimmer.. is that a bad thing?

yes, very bad. theyre should be more assholes....err..bmw drivers out there.