FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Diy - Sway Bar End Links
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I couldn't stand the noise anymore so I decide to dive in to another DIY repair project to replace the front sway bar end links. I had picked up a pair of end links from Canadian Tire a couple of weeks ago on sale for a good price.(plus the monroe brand has a life time guarantee.)

After all was said and done, and a lot of elbow grease I finally got the darn sway bar end links in.

Crossing my fingers, I went for a road test especially trying to go over sewer grates, and small bumps, thank God the noise was gone.

What should have only taken an hour took me a little longer because I had to fight one of the nuts off and I had to fight tightening the new end link nuts on.

Plus, my 18mm wrench was too fat (wish i had a bench grinder to grind it down) the thickness of the wrench should be no more than 1/8" of an inch or 3mm.

Tools used to remove the original end link, 15mm socket for the nut, allen key (cant remember the size) to prevent the endlink ball joint bolt from turning) [side note: the allen key got rounded, and I ended up using a pair of vice grips and 18mm wrench on the back side] An impact wrench sure would have came in handy (next on my wish list)

So end of the day, I was stubborn and I wasn't about to give up. I guess that's the satisfaction I get by fixing my own car-Im sure there's others out there that can agree.

So on to the next DIY project, replacing the Serpentine belt and tensioner, Fix the rattling heat sheild under the car and figuring out why the ABS light staying on.

Thanks for reading.

im doing my endlinks tomorrow lol
good tip use a 15mm wrench and a 1/4 air impact to turn the endlink ball hoint..
yup, mine was a pain to get off too, I pretty much did what you did. But oh the blessed silence once they were done...... :D
this is definatly my next project . I cant handle that noise any more. Next person to do it take pics