FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Valve Stem Tool!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was swapping my tires today, and while topping up the air in one tire, I removed the air pump, and for some reason, the valve stuck open. The little needle inside won't return --like it's stuck at the little cross-tab at the bottom.

So suffice it to say, the tire won't hold air.

Any idea where I can find a stem valve tool and a possible replacement to quickly swap out the broken innards?

I check canadian tire online, but couldn't find one... going to call the store tomorrow.

ANyhoo... it's pretty frustrating... swap tires, break valve, replace wheel so I can at least park the car... 3 x 18" black rims, and 1 x 16" silver rim.. this blows! I wanted to take my car out in the sun, but I ain't going to do it looking like this!
take it to a tire place and they might charge you 5$ to fix it or do it for free.
darkpuppet,Apr 5 2008, 10:54 PM Wrote:I wanted to take my car out in the sun, but I ain't going to do it looking like this!
[right][snapback]261345[/snapback][/right]
Look at the bright side. At least you're fixing it when it's not -20C. :D
darkpuppet,Apr 6 2008, 02:54 AM Wrote:So I was swapping my tires today, and while topping up the air in one tire, I removed the air pump, and for some reason, the valve stuck open.  The little needle inside won't return --like it's stuck at the little cross-tab at the bottom.

So suffice it to say, the tire won't hold air.

Any idea where I can find a stem valve tool and a possible replacement to quickly swap out the broken innards?

I check canadian tire online, but couldn't find one... going to call the store tomorrow.

ANyhoo... it's pretty frustrating... swap tires, break valve, replace wheel so I can at least park the car...  3 x 18" black rims, and 1 x 16" silver rim.. this blows!  I wanted to take my car out in the sun, but I ain't going to do it looking like this!
[right][snapback]261345[/snapback][/right]

I had the same thing happen to me awhile back. I topped it up as much as I could and then put the cap on quick to temporarily hold the air while I drove two minutes to Active Green and Ross, the guy had the tool to screw in the inner part of the valve stem and did it for me for free.
princess auto ... any store which sells mechanic tools wish yo uwere here my tool box has like 5 in there lol ...just buy a valve stem and a tool and swap em ... if you take it to ford they will look to change the stem which means taking the tire off and mounting and balancing again ... which would cost around 15 to 20 dollars .
mo_focus,Apr 5 2008, 10:58 PM Wrote:take it to a tire place and they might charge you 5$ to fix it or do it for free.
[right][snapback]261346[/snapback][/right]

I'm going to swing by Canadian tire this morning and see if they have one in-store.

If not, then I'll just book my spring maintenance appointment, drive there with mismatched wheels and ask them to make things right with the wheel in the trunk.
darkpuppet,Apr 6 2008, 10:02 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,Apr 5 2008, 10:58 PM Wrote:take it to a tire place and they might charge you 5$ to fix it or do it for free.

I'm going to swing by Canadian tire this morning and see if they have one in-store.

If not, then I'll just book my spring maintenance appointment, drive there with mismatched wheels and ask them to make things right with the wheel in the trunk.
[right][snapback]261363[/snapback][/right]

canadian tire will have it, they also have the valves too
ZX5focused,Apr 6 2008, 12:14 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Apr 6 2008, 10:02 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]261363[/snapback][/right]

canadian tire will have it, they also have the valves too
[right][snapback]261369[/snapback][/right]

Canadian tire apparently doesn't have it.

or they don't have it out front, and you'd be damned to get assistance from the guys in the back.

Going to walk up to the tire shop up the street... not sure they'd have a tool for resale, but who knows.

GF just took off for her mini vacation to the spa, so I'll be doing a bit of walking to find the part this aft.

here's keeping my fingers crossed
on the plus note, I had no problem swapping the chick's wheels. Other than being stuck to the hubs (kick kick), no issues!
thats weird, i know we have it at our store. shoulda been with all the tire repair stuff.
ZX5focused,Apr 6 2008, 03:14 PM Wrote:thats weird, i know we have it at our store. shoulda been with all the tire repair stuff.
[right][snapback]261377[/snapback][/right]

Do you have a part number? I could probably look it up easier with it.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So I figure, I may as well tune up my bikes as the weather is getting warmer... and as I'm grabbing the tools hanging from my bike rack... I see it.. stairing right at me.. A shrader valve cap that doubles as a valve tool.

Pop the valve, re-engage it... screw it back in.. seems to be holding pressure.

Guess I can finish installing me wheel tonight :D

Next time something breaks on my car, I'm going to have to look over my bikes carefully for the answer.