FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Canada To Harmonize Bumper Standard With Europe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canada to harmonize bumper standard with Europe, and U.S.
Canadiandriver.ca

Ottawa, Ontario – The Government of Canada has proposed an amendment to the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations that will harmonize the Canadian bumper standard for passenger cars with similar safety standards from the U.S. and Europe.

The proposed amendment would result in one set of globally-regulated test speed requirements for bumper design, which would simplify the design for vehicles destined for the North American and European markets. The proposed change is consistent with the spirit of the Canada-U.S. Security and Prosperity Partnership to reduce regulatory differences and facilitate international trade, while maintaining high levels of safety.

“This proposed amendment would offer more choice to Canadians who wish to import vehicles,” said Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. “At the same time, it would help to maintain the safety of Canadian roads.”
does this mean the RS can be imported to canada???
i hope so ^^
i don't know but to me it tells me that the Euro bumpers are legal now.
Hrm, while I want to believe this is a good news story, part of me wonders just whose standards these final joint standards will be based on?

I mean of the three, Canada's are the best at protecting the car from damage, the European specs are meant for pedestrian safety and the US standards are only good for body shops as they allow thousands in damage to the car...

This should be interesting...

NefCanuck
Let's hope it means Ford has run of excuses not send us the "good stuff"
oldeguy,Apr 6 2008, 12:47 PM Wrote:Let's hope it means Ford has run of excuses not send us the "good stuff"
[right][snapback]261373[/snapback][/right]

agreed, no repeats of the stripped down version like the 2000 Focus vrs the 1998 Focus.
yeah, I'm not sure that I care for this.

What happens when people start getting repair bills for their smashed Evo IX's?

"I swear, I hit the pole doing 2kph!!, why the hell do I need to replace the intercooler?"

Frost__2001,Apr 6 2008, 04:04 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Apr 6 2008, 12:47 PM Wrote:Let's hope it means Ford has run of excuses not send us the "good stuff"
[right][snapback]261373[/snapback][/right]

agreed, no repeats of the stripped down version like the 2000 Focus vrs the 1998 Focus.
[right][snapback]261380[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

a 30,000 Euro focus isn't going to get any cheaper by crossing the ocean... Until north america harmonizes it's automotive tastes to that of europe, bumper laws aren't going to change a thing.
i'm pretty sure the section of the vehicle code that covers imports (that are less than 15 model years old) says something like "emissions and safety laws in effect at the time of manufacture"

i think the evo viii/ix would still have to be converted over by a registered importer, but the evo x may be able to come through after this law takes effect
naz,Apr 6 2008, 09:08 PM Wrote:i'm pretty sure the section of the vehicle code that covers imports (that are less than 15 model years old) says something like "emissions and safety laws in effect at the time of manufacture"

i think the evo viii/ix would still have to be converted over by a registered importer, but the evo x may be able to come through after this law takes effect
[right][snapback]261410[/snapback][/right]

The evo X is in canada. I've already seen two with ontario plates...
darkpuppet,Apr 7 2008, 01:31 AM Wrote:The evo X is in canada.  I've already seen two with ontario plates...
[right][snapback]261414[/snapback][/right]

awesome.. what is pricing like? CDN $48k ? :ph34r:
naz,Apr 8 2008, 05:39 PM Wrote:awesome.. what is pricing like?  CDN $48k ? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]261569[/snapback][/right]

yup fully loaded and they start at 38 I believe
Pretty sure base price is $41,xxx for the GSR, then $48,xxx for the MR, and $51,xxx for the MR premium.
48k for the MR.........only 291hp
D-Dub,Apr 9 2008, 01: Wrote:48k for the MR.........only 291hp
[right][snapback]261591[/snapback][/right]

holy sh1t.. that is insane. i have no idea how canadian car companies can get away with those prices

d-dub i dont know how well the evo x mods, but the evo ix had only 286hp as well but with a chip and a turboback exhaust evo ix goes up to 410hp..
naz,Apr 9 2008, 01:19 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Apr 9 2008, 01: Wrote:48k for the MR.........only 291hp
[right][snapback]261591[/snapback][/right]

holy sh1t.. that is insane. i have no idea how canadian car companies can get away with those prices

d-dub i dont know how well the evo x mods, but the evo ix had only 286hp as well but with a chip and a turboback exhaust evo ix goes up to 410hp..
[right][snapback]261617[/snapback][/right]

I think that's one of the selling points of the MR.. it's supposed to be a more modifiable evo -- sans tricky DSG and all that which the regular one has (or is it the other way around.... can't remember)