FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Starting Over...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, the MSP I work for was recently bought by an American company, who specializes in 'leveraging global resources' (ie. sending North American jobs to India). This means...

-Our front line call center gone to India (40+ jobs)
-Our second level call center gone to India (15 jobs)
-Most of our server, network and security engineering gone to India (15 jobs)
-Our IT going to their Enterprise center (1 job - ME)

Some people get to stick around, but it will be a staff of 15, mainly engineering.

I've been a system administrator here now since October, and sucked in all information I could. Linux, Unix, Windows 2000 +, etc. In my previous 3.5 years in operations, I worked on networking gear and servers for customers.

Anybody know of anyone in the Ottawa are looking for an IT person? I have some time due to severance and what not, but I'd like to be able to use my severance to pay down some outstanding debt, and start fresh at a new job.

Any comments/tips/consoling welcome... :)

Ryan
I know of some delivery jobs in Toronto, but none in Ottawa.

Your skills should be able to get you a job on a delivery team.
crapping news.
I'll PM you posting that went up at my work recently. It's out of Toronto though. Let me know if your interested.
if you don't mind travel i recommend applying to consulting firms with large IT implementation practices, like IBM GS, ACN, etc

good luck!
naz,Apr 4 2008, 04:39 PM Wrote:if you don't mind travel i recommend applying to consulting firms with large IT implementation practices, like IBM GS, ACN, etc

good luck!
[right][snapback]261287[/snapback][/right]

PM me... we need good people in delivery..
Losing a job sucks, especially when the job is still there, but moved somewhere cheaper. I'm not sure how the School Boards work up there, but, apply to them, if they're anything like mine, they always need IT people. Good Luck
ugh, I know how you feel, when I got down sized from RIM it was because they shipped the production of the model of blackberry to mexico and downsized everyone on that line.

If your in an area where your skills are transfurable then your set, when I lost my job I had to look outside the KW area as nothing paid very well, or was more geared to students jobwise. in the end I moved back to Brampton as I got a full time job in 4 days after moving back.
Oldeguy, I've currently applied to both school boards in my area. Let's hope something happens there.

Anybody here do contract work? There are a lot of government opportunities for contracting here in Ottawa, I've just never done it before so I am a little apprehensive.

Ryan
reldridge,Apr 6 2008, 08:59 PM Wrote:Anybody here do contract work? There are a lot of government opportunities for contracting here in Ottawa, I've just never done it before so I am a little apprehensive.

Ryan
[right][snapback]261409[/snapback][/right]

All my 'employees' are contractors and they love it. They get paid theyre Overtime, which must be nice. :rolleyes: No benefits, but they also tend to amke a little more than a regular employee.
Ok, starting to investigate the contracting end of things more. Anybody here do it? I have a few opportunities where I'd have to incorporate myself. Anybody here done that?

TIA!
reldridge,May 9 2008, 03:49 PM Wrote:Ok, starting to investigate the contracting end of things more. Anybody here do it? I have a few opportunities where I'd have to incorporate myself. Anybody here done that?

TIA!
[right][snapback]264051[/snapback][/right]
I'm not in your industry but I am incorporated - it's easy enough to do yourself and the right lawyer will have an incoporation sitting on a shelf ready to go. PM me if you want any other details. Cheers and good luck.
Well, incase anybody was paying attention...

I have gone the contract route and am now employed by PWGSC (Public Works & Gov't Services Canada). I'm an MS Exchange & Blackberry admin! I'm in my second week now, and it takes some time to get used to the public sector after being in IT in the private sector.

So, let's see how it goes!

Ryan
congrats man, and best of luck in your new career!
Best of luck, public sector work is gonna be jarring a bit if you've only done private sector before, but I'm sure you'll adjust quickly.

NefCanuck
Congratulations. The main thing you have to remember about Public Sector Work, is to do the job, don't try to fix the inefficiencies, unless that's why you're there, and smile. Although, being contract work might be a little different.
From what I'm told about doing email support for public sector (which is quite a bit and frequently - Justice, amongst others) - work within your scope and not out of it unless instructed to, WITH permission.

On that note alone, I couldn't do public sector IT work. I'll stay where I'm at. :)

Good luck on the new path!
well congrats
Not sure if anybody remembers this...

I just handed in my two weeks. :lol:

Job wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I just accepted a full-time job (no contract, yay!) as a Network Technician with CFPFSS (Canadian Forces Personel and Family Support Services to you). I start there on September 8th.

It will be weird being a gov't employee...

reldridge,Aug 21 2008, 12:46 PM Wrote:Not sure if anybody remembers this...

I just handed in my two weeks. :lol:

Job wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I just accepted a full-time job (no contract, yay!) as a Network Technician with CFPFSS (Canadian Forces Personel and Family Support Services to you). I start there on September 8th.

It will be weird being a gov't employee...
[right][snapback]270853[/snapback][/right]
Congrats ... do you have to join CUPE or some sort of union? If so I guess that would make you MEFORD's brother! Are you sure it's worth it?? :D
No union that I'm aware of. I'm not a pencil pusher or physical labourer... IT people usually fall through the cracks! :D
Pages: 1 2