FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My First Recall On The Mustang...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I get a recall notice for my stang from Ford today...

Apparently, if some girl, in the 5 percentile group has the passenger seat pulled all the way forward, and isn't wearing a seatbelt, in the event of a crash, the airbag can deploy with an increased chance of neck injury.

Ok, if you're a lightweight, with your seat pulled up to the dash, and you're not wearing a seatbelt, I think you have other things to worry about in the crash other than an airbag causing possible neck injury...

but if that's what passes for a recall from Ford these days, I'm fine with that :P
What's the fix? :huh: depower the airbag even more? :lol:

I mean when I hit the Focus airbag it was like a pillow compared to the last time when I hit the brick that GM called an airbag <_<

NefCanuck
At least it wasn't saying your wheels are gonna fall off........like some recalss we know about :lol:
darkpuppet,Apr 1 2008, 06:41 PM Wrote:Apparently, if some girl, in the 5 percentile group has the passenger seat pulled all the way forward, and isn't wearing a seatbelt, in the event of a crash, the airbag can deploy with an increased chance of neck injury.

This did happen to a girl in an integra couple of years ago infront of Ryerson. She actualy died as a result of it. Hence why they came with 2nd generation airbags. But its going to be even slower now???
it's gona be like the movies, you hid the wall and 2 min later the airbag pops :)
the best part is where Ford states that in the meanwhile, wearing a seatbelt is also a good fix if you can't get to the dealership right away.
darkpuppet,Apr 1 2008, 02:44 PM Wrote:the best part is where Ford states that in the meanwhile, wearing a seatbelt is also a good fix if you can't get to the dealership right away.
[right][snapback]261000[/snapback][/right]

Thats generally a good idea... its also kind of the law in north america... But i guess really skinny girls with the seats all the way to the dash dont feel the need.. I mean were are they going to go there compressed against the dash..
thanks for the reminder.. i totally need to deactivate the airbag in my car

nothing like an explosive device in front of your face to 'save your life'
naz,Apr 1 2008, 04:59 PM Wrote:thanks for the reminder.. i totally need to deactivate the airbag in my car

[right][snapback]261014[/snapback][/right]

how else do you expect to break/burn your wrists in a crash if you disable your airbag?
naz,Apr 1 2008, 03:59 PM Wrote:thanks for the reminder.. i totally need to deactivate the airbag in my car

what? :huh:

sometimes i wonder about you Naz
yes sometimes airbags kill....but i believe in 90% they save lives ;)
NikiterZTS,Apr 2 2008, 04:28 PM Wrote:
naz,Apr 1 2008, 03:59 PM Wrote:thanks for the reminder.. i totally need to deactivate the airbag in my car

what? :huh:

sometimes i wonder about you Naz
yes sometimes airbags kill....but i believe in 90% they save lives ;)
[right][snapback]261056[/snapback][/right]

i don't have any stats to back this up, just anecdotal hearsay.. i've heard of people suffering broken wrists and noses from the air bag deployment, and suffering burns as well. and in some cases a non serious accident caused airbag deployment, which is sometimes enough to total car..(the bags are expensive and the dash and windshield and steering wheel are fubared)

the airbag isn't a soft pillow that magically appears.. it pretty much explodes out at a speed of around 220mph.. what if you are trying to save the car, and you hit while the wheel is being turned? if your arm is in front of the bag, then you just punched yourself with a massive 220mph sucker punch

i haven't found a place that breaks down all of the physics, nor have i found a crash engineer to talk to.. my gut feel is that 'it depends' on how you are sitting / oriented when the bag deploys, and that makes the difference between the bag helping and the bag totally pwning you

I think the kinetic energy in the bag is less than your face hitting the steering wheel. The airbag doesn't weigh much, yes it's moving fast, but the force it would exert on you isn't that bad, considering the force of suddenly decelerating in a crash.

If you cross your arms infront of your face while driving*, you weren't going to avoid the crash anyway, and airbag or not, you're probably breaking your arm(s)/wrist(s) into the steering wheel.

*while still holding onto the wheel
Simply put, I'd rather have a broken wrist, or nose than a broken head................
Besides, they are now teaching you to use the 9 and 3 hand position instead of the 10 and 2
As a car crash survivor of both the original style airbags and the new style, I can tell you that the first crash with the old style bag had left me with a fair amount of bruising on the face, but nothing that would make me any uglier (Not like there was much lower I could go :lol:)

The recent crash in the Focus was much easier in terms of results, aside from a runny nose for a few days afterwards.

In both cases I will emphatically state that together with the seat belt, the bags saved me from much more serious injuries...

NefCanuck