FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home Theater Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have a couple questions.

Since they are a sub sat combo they don't produce bass ( they only reach 100hrz)

1}when I set the speaker size to small the does the bass go to the sub?

2}If I set the speaker size to small what do I do about the cut-off frequency on the sub adjust it to 100hrz or let the receiver do it?

3}the phase switch says 0-180 what is that.??

4} is it worth getting good speaker wire?

My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-596 if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help. ;)
Okay I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can:

1) Yes, setting speaker size to small sends all Low Frequency Effects (LFE) information to your sub.

2) The answer here is dependent on what your receiver & speaker instructions say to do. For example my Denon and Tannoy speakers had me set the crossover to halfway and then let the receiver sweat the messy stuff.

3) Again check in the manuals, but most times the phase switch is set at 0

4) By good you're looking at guage, the higher the guage # the thicker the wire. Don't get sucked in by the snake oil of "Monster" wire or other nonsense. Hit up Home Depot or Lowes and get at least 12 guage wire.

Hope that helped.

NefCanuck

Canadian ST,Mar 27 2008, 06:47 PM Wrote:Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have  a couple questions.

Since they are a sub sat combo they don't produce bass ( they only reach 100hrz)

2}If I set the speaker size to small what do I do about the cut-off frequency on the sub adjust it to 100hrz or let the receiver do it?

Thanks for any help.  ;)
[right][snapback]260700[/snapback][/right]
How you feeling Daniel ... any word on the car yet ... and BTW - I think it's the lower the gauge number the thicker the wire - or is speaker wire different than others?

NefCanuck,Mar 27 2008, 07:56 PM Wrote:Okay I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can:

1) Yes, setting speaker size to small sends all Low Frequency Effects (LFE) information to your sub.

2) The answer here is dependent on what your receiver & speaker instructions say to do.  For example my Denon and Tannoy speakers had me set the crossover to halfway and then let the receiver sweat the messy stuff.

4) By good you're looking at guage, the higher the guage # the thicker the wire.  Don't get sucked in by the snake oil of "Monster" wire or other nonsense.  Hit up Home Depot or Lowes and get at least 12 guage wire.

Hope that helped.

NefCanuck

Canadian ST,Mar 27 2008, 06:47 PM Wrote:Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have  a couple questions.

Thanks for any help.  ;)
[right][snapback]260702[/snapback][/right]
NefCanuck,Mar 27 2008, 07:56 PM Wrote:3) Again check in the manuals, but most times the phase switch is set at 0[right][snapback]260702[/snapback][/right]
The phasing of your speakers means that if your speakers are "in phase", when you play a frequency to both speakers, the speakers move in and out together at the same time -- if they are out of phase, one will be moving in while the other moves out, making the sound "muddy". If you hook up the speakers, you should be paying attention to the wiring, making sure that the "+" side is connected to red (ie red to red) and the "-" to black (black to black). If they are hooked up correctly, AND the speakers are wired properly internally, then you should be able to have the phase at "0". If it sounds "muddy", swithc it to "180", if it sounds better then your speakers are out of phase, double check the wiring -- if it's still ok it's your speakers.

Quote:4) By good you're looking at guage, the higher the guage # the thicker the wire.  Don't get sucked in by the snake oil of "Monster" wire or other nonsense.  Hit up Home Depot or Lowes and get at least 12 guage wire.
The other way around, the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire. #24 gauge is very thin, #14 is house wiring, etc. Same goes for sheet metal and buckshot.

OAC_Sparky,Mar 27 2008, 07:20 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 27 2008, 07:56 PM Wrote:3) Again check in the manuals, but most times the phase switch is set at 0[right][snapback]260702[/snapback][/right]
The phasing of your speakers means that if your speakers are "in phase", when you play a frequency to both speakers, the speakers move in and out together at the same time -- if they are out of phase, one will be moving in while the other moves out, making the sound "muddy". If you hook up the speakers, you should be paying attention to the wiring, making sure that the "+" side is connected to red (ie red to red) and the "-" to black (black to black). If they are hooked up correctly, AND the speakers are wired properly internally, then you should be able to have the phase at "0". If it sounds "muddy", swithc it to "180", if it sounds better then your speakers are out of phase, double check the wiring -- if it's still ok it's your speakers.

Quote:4) By good you're looking at guage, the higher the guage # the thicker the wire.  Don't get sucked in by the snake oil of "Monster" wire or other nonsense.  Hit up Home Depot or Lowes and get at least 12 guage wire.
The other way around, the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire. #24 gauge is very thin, #14 is house wiring, etc. Same goes for sheet metal and buckshot.
[right][snapback]260704[/snapback][/right]

Really? Okay then I was told backwards (Because I was told that the speaker wires that came with my Kenwood HTiB at the time were no better than 8 guage (the things were thinner than Christmas tree wiring) and so I bought a roll of 16 guage I just used to rewire things for my Tannoy speakers (and this wire is thick lemme tell ya, they were a right royal PITA to strip properly :ph34r: )

NefCanuck
Absolutely no word from the insurance co yet (To be fair they did tell me point blank when I called them Monday that the best they could do was end of week for the adjuster to go look at the car.. and this was with me explaining the transportation issues (Can't drive a car without the foot controls :( )

So far neck, back and left arm issues (Left arm feels like it has a permanent case of "pins & needles" which the most annoying thing ATM) seeing the chiropractor tomorrow to work up a treatment plan...

Meanwhile I sit here housebound and plan for the death of the little wet nosed punk that caused this, the more inventive and gruesome the better <_<

NefCanuck

ZTWsquared,Mar 27 2008, 07:05 PM Wrote:How you feeling Daniel ... any word on the car yet ... and BTW - I think it's the lower the gauge number the thicker the wire - or is speaker wire different than others?

NefCanuck,Mar 27 2008, 07:56 PM Wrote:Okay I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can:

2) The answer here is dependent on what your receiver & speaker instructions say to do.  For example my Denon and Tannoy speakers had me set the crossover to halfway and then let the receiver sweat the messy stuff.

4) By good you're looking at guage, the higher the guage # the thicker the wire.  Don't get sucked in by the snake oil of "Monster" wire or other nonsense.  Hit up Home Depot or Lowes and get at least 12 guage wire.

Hope that helped.

NefCanuck

Thanks for any help.  ;)
[right][snapback]260702[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]260703[/snapback][/right]
Canadian ST,Mar 27 2008, 07:47 PM Wrote:Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have  a couple questions.

This depends on the receiver -- but in many cases, it adjusts the cross-over, speaker voltages etc to adjust for the size of the speaker.

Quote:2}If I set the speaker size to small what do I do about the cut-off frequency on the sub adjust it to 100hrz or let the receiver do it?

if your receiver allows you to adjust the cross-over point, it's fine to leave the cross-over to the receiver. However, make sure you don't put it out of range of the sub otherwise your sound will go to the pooper.

Quote:3}the phase switch says 0-180 what is that.??

This helps you adjust the phasing of (usually) the sub. You adjust this to ensure that the sub frequencies are reaching you at the same time the accompanying frequencies from the speakers are. THX makes a phase test for setting this, but in a small room, just leave it at zero.

Quote:4} is it worth getting good speaker wire?

depends on how big a snob you are. I think the current belief is that signals travel primarily on the outside of the wire -- hence why you see that uber-expensive silver ribbon wire. However, the quality of the receiver, speakers play a bigger role in sound quality than the speaker wire. So this is the one place I'd save money on and go generic.
darkpuppet,Mar 28 2008, 11:57 AM Wrote:depends on how big a snob you are.  I think the current belief is that signals travel primarily on the outside of the wire -- [right][snapback]260737[/snapback][/right]
That is not just for audio signals -- that actually applies to all electricity. It's referred to as the "skin" effect -- electrons all having a negative electrical charge will repel each other and force each other out to the perimeter of the cross section. Therefore, the electrons appear to travel along the outside -- a theory that is supported both by tests using hollow pipe and wire of the same circumference, and by the fact that a wire's current-carrying capacity is more proportionally tied to circumference than cross-section of the wire.

That said, a 14ga wire has an ampacity (current carrying capacity) of 15A. An 8ga wire has a 40A capacity. A stereo puts out nowhere near 15A (per channel), let alone 40A, so generally speaking a 14ga wire is more than enough for most applications UNLESS the run is more than 50' and voltage drop is an issue. Where the difference is worth paying for is in shielding (only if you're running speaker wires next to power cables) or quality end connectors. Neither of which is related to the wire size.
I only said, 'belief' because my knowledge is at least a few years old. Not entirely sure what stereo shops are pushing these days.
darkpuppet,Mar 28 2008, 01:15 PM Wrote:I only said, 'belief' because my knowledge is at least a few years old.  Not entirely sure what stereo shops are pushing these days.
[right][snapback]260743[/snapback][/right]

Mon$ter Cable$, need I say more? <_<

NefCanuck
monster cables are still cheaper than the silver ribbon cables.

unless Monster offers cables at $1400/metre
darkpuppet,Mar 28 2008, 03:06 PM Wrote:monster cables are still cheaper than the silver ribbon cables.

unless Monster offers cables at $1400/metre
[right][snapback]260751[/snapback][/right]

Holy mackerel! :blink:

I dunno what's worse, that the companies have the chutzpah to actually sell this snake oil or that there are customers stupid enough to buy it!

Why, that'd be like me looking at buying a Lincoln MKZ AWD over a Ford Fusion AWD just because it was a Lincoln! Errr.... bad example maybe? :ph34r: :lol:

NefCanuck

janani

(03-28-2008, 09:47 AM)Canadian ST Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have a couple questions.

Thanks for any help. Wink

Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Microsystem Series is the successor to its name with the Quintet II system, best-selling business plan surround speakers of all time. In addition to its ability to play louder than its predecessor, the 5.0 surround speakers with a tweeter level and a lot of improvements in design. The speakers are too small to produce enough bass, Klipsch recommends pairing the system at $ 500 with its Synergy Series Sub-10 ($ 400) or U12 ($ 500) subwoofers - the addition of 0.1 critical for home theater.
And as NefCanuck explained about your concern question I me too agree with him.
1) Yes, adjusting the size of small speakers sends all low-frequency effects information for your sub.
2) To cut-off frequency on the sub it depends on what your handset and instructions say to do.
3) most of the time switch is set at phase 0, so check manually.
4) you are looking for is a good indicator, the higher the guage the thicker gauge wire. Do not be absorbed by the snake oil, the wire "Monster" or some other nonsense. Hit the Home Depot and Lowe's and get at least 12 gauge.

(06-29-2011, 08:06 PM)janani Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2008, 09:47 AM)Canadian ST Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I got the Klipsch Quintet 3 speaker system and I have a couple questions.

Thanks for any help. Wink

Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Microsystem Series is the successor to its name with the Quintet II system, best-selling business plan surround speakers of all time. In addition to its ability to play louder than its predecessor, the 5.0 surround speakers with a tweeter level and a lot of improvements in design. The speakers are too small to produce enough bass, Klipsch recommends pairing the system at $ 500 with its Synergy Series Sub-10 ($ 400) or U12 ($ 500) subwoofers - the addition of 0.1 critical for home theater.
And as NefCanuck explained about your concern question I me too agree with him.
1) Yes, adjusting the size of small speakers sends all low-frequency effects information for your sub.
2) To cut-off frequency on the sub it depends on what your handset and instructions say to do.
3) most of the time switch is set at phase 0, so check manually.
4) you are looking for is a good indicator, the higher the guage the thicker gauge wire. Do not be absorbed by the snake oil, the wire "Monster" or some other nonsense. Hit the Home Depot and Lowe's and get at least 12 gauge.

Back from the dead ... but as far as spam goes this is actually pretty good.
But quick correction...it should be lower the gauge number, thicker the wire. With 0 gauge being the thickest for speaker application.
The phase on the sub I thought had to do with it's direction of travel. Correctly wired, it will push the air, wired backwards it draws itself into the cabinet. This creates a noticeable drop in sound level.
This is similar to reversing the red/black wires on a speaker. In a 2 channel setup, you would notice that one of the speakers is not as "loud" as the other. This is because the cones are moving out of sync.

There is also discussion that the cable run for the sub affects it's phase, and that you should test the phase setting while in the main seating position to determine the position that has the "most" bass. Do not be surprised if you do not notice a difference.
Also, keep in mind that the frequencies the sub carries require a minimum of 4' to develop properly and carry further (which is why your neighbor knows when your watching a movie).

If you use RCA cables to connect the sub, you will not likely reverse the phase, leave it at 0.

This is how it was all explained to me. I am open to being told differently.
Just FYI everyone, this thread is from 2008 and was resurrected by the spammer Janani (admittedly with spam that was OT) ... hopefully the OP has it figured out by now.
Well spammer resurrection or not, speaking of home theater, has anyone tried
one of these for their system?

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_theater/index.htm

I have one of their products for my computer, and absolutely love it,
but haven't seen anyone use one for their home theater yet.